Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
D700's are supposed to be GCN 1.0 Tahiti.

I use both machines while the crunching goes on but never anything that interferes with GPU work.

Don't know what to tell you about proper utilization but Mojave / BOINC Manager seem to do a good job left to their own devices.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
I remember when the TrashCan first came out, that people complained the D300/500/700s were already a generation behind, but Mac stalwarts (never Apple themselves) predicted that newer cards would be on the way from AMD as the Trashcan grew in popularity. Never. Happened. (Neither the popularity or the cards)

Get the feeling nobody was interested in making fanless PCIe versions of their card with an SSD slot shoved into the middle of it along with a normal compact version in the form factor Apple wanted. Since the cards never changed, AMD probably didn't want to waste any developer time or effort on bringing more advanced cards to the Trashcan.

I'm glad that AMD and Apple have been working together to tighten up the driver code so that what I do on GPU tasks is possible, but still am annoyed at them for refusing to acknowledge that nVidia exists.

Devoting 1 CPU and 1 GPU to one Einstein task takes 18 minutes to complete on the RX 580 machine, and 20 minutes on the D700 machine, with the RX 380 machine only behind both by a few at 26 minutes.

Reactions: Synchro3

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Since the cards never changed, AMD probably didn't want to waste any developer time or effort on bringing more advanced cards to the Trashcan.

apple will have commissioned AMD to make the GPU's, if they wanted they had the option to comision newer cards for the 2013 mp.
I assume apple just never had interest in newer GPU's

there have been a few stroys of 'GPU's moved to bigger power targets so apple was not able to use them' but all apple had to do was downclock a GPU to fit it's power envelope.

apple had a fight with nvidia over something (EGO maybe), they did the same with ATI back in the day

always makes me think apple is like a girl having lots of fights with her best friends, switching sides every few years.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well 'big ego' is the word most people use for both nvidia and apple.

ps
I'm in the UK and gotta love that in schootland they use that word as a mark of friendship and insult https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=**** (Scottish Definition)

and in australia it seems more relaxed
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Australians-famous-for-saying-****-all-the-time-How-did-this-occur

I live in Wales and it can be used as a general way to point at someone with meaning context dependent but not in posh circles more only with friends, context can be hard. not something to say to someone you don't know. relay depends where you are in wales.

i dont think it's safe to say in england but not 100% there

so i assume you are using the american definition

antonlinus

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2019
I can confirm this also works with Vega Cards.

Tested with RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII sadly those X5690 bottleneck in SingeCore Performance but I will not try it on my main rig until 10.14.5 is final.....

Also DRM Content Playback does NOT!! work (If you need that I don't use it)
View attachment 835044

would you prefer the VII of the Vega56 for video editing considering all the compatibility updates and hardware acceleration? Does the performance boost justify significantly higher initial costs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
Hmm...I have a sapphire RX580 Pulse running on a 2012 mac pro with Catalina and I wanted to do this to unlock the full potential of my card. I'm having trouble finding where to start. Would flashing this be necessary?

The reason being mainly is because I'm trying to get H264 encoding to work.

Last edited:

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
I'm trying to get H264 encoding to work.
your in the wrong topic,

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
Thank you. I know that the acceleration was discussed elsewhere, but I figured I might need to do some bios tweaking to get it to work. My part number is 11265-05-20G

I installed the limu and green kexts, and now the videoproc shows H264 support but no HEV264 support.

i ran the swordsmith video and it was super laggy. I pressed cmd i and it said I’m running HEV264, but the video was laggy.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Yes, my RX580 with that part-number works just fine OOB. Check your PM's.
Does your 11265-05-20G SapphirePulse have " dual bios" printed anywhere on it's box ?

If so could you kindly send a pic of that box showing "dual bios" .

So far in my Googling I cannot find "dual bios" printed on any RX 580 Pulse shipping boxes.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Z1839

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Does your 11265-05-20G SapphirePulse have " dual bios" printed anywhere on it's box ?

So far in my Googling I cannot find "dual bios" printed on any RX 580 Pulse shipping boxes.

Thanks in advance.

This is one I received after ordering and shipped by Newegg, not a third party vendor from their site:

Model: 100411P8G0CL
P/N: 299-4E353-830FA
SKU: 11265-05-20G
html: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278

I picked it up on sale last month, and they just came-off sale around ~$190'ish if you can wait for the next sale.

View attachment 830012 View attachment 830018

Third-parties may ship the same one, I'd just suggest confirming it before expecting it.

I posted this earlier this year. The dual bios graphic on the photo of the front of the box (attachment 830018) was a sticker (not printed on the box, but most likely added during packaging on the assembly line).

Last edited:

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019

Thanks in advance.

it does indeed say dual bios on the front. It’s a square on the left front side
[automerge]1571681330[/automerge]
I posted this earlier this year. The dual bios graphic on the photo of the front of the box (attachment 830018) was a sticker (not printed on the box, but most likely added during packaging on the assembly line).

since you have the same card as me I figured I’d ask: did you need to flash the bios at all? I’m having trouble getting HEVC running on Catalina.

i installed the kexts, and when I run the swordsmith video it’s super laggy. I press cmd I and it says HEVC but it’s super laggy

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
it does indeed say dual bios on the front. It’s a square on the left front side
[automerge]1571681330[/automerge]

since you have the same card as me I figured I’d ask: did you need to flash the bios at all? I’m having trouble getting HEVC running on Catalina.

i installed the kexts, and when I run the swordsmith video it’s super laggy. I press cmd I and it says HEVC but it’s super laggy

My RX580 is OOB plug and play in a vanilla Mojave 10.14.6 build. I can play Swordsmith, and its not "laggy" but does stumble periodically (mostly on the sharpening and powder application cutscenes) in Quicktime; I don't use VidProc (I use Final Cut and Compressor). VLC and IILC both have playback issues.

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
My RX580 is OOB plug and play in a vanilla Mojave 10.14.6 build. I can play Swordsmith, and its not "laggy" but does stumble periodically (mostly on the sharpening and powder application cutscenes) in Quicktime; I don't use VidProc (I use Final Cut and Compressor). VLC and IILC both have playback issues.

That's strange...I would assume that with an RX 580 and 32 GB of RAM I should be able to play it. Is the CPU the bottleneck here? Or am I greatly underestimating the system requirements for the video, haha!

I don't see hardware decoding enabled as well when I do cmd i in IINA. I have it on Auto (Copy) in the menu

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

How you play that Swordsmith video?

And what's the CPU usage?

Anyway, please continue this discussion in the HWAccel thread. This has nothing to do with the VBIOS.

Farravi

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2019
London
Apologies as I am a novice to GPU's and EFI's but my question is at present I'm running GTX 980 ti (MacVidCard Rom) and have decided to go for the Sapphire Pulse rx 580 8gb and want to get the most out of my 5,1 cheese grater so the question is :

What's the best way to upgrade to Mojave / Catalina and what's the best version of the Sapphire Pulse rx 580 to go for as there are various version i.e. Overclocked, Dual Bios, etc.

I want to set it up for gaming and video/photo editing.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I've attached the screenshots from my system report:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 20.27.56.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 20.31.04.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 20.28.29.png

amp829

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
hello i recently bought the dual bios version and i let it to default setting ( gaming) i thinks it's something like overclocked .
i use it for video and photography not for gaming and i might regret updating to mojave from high sierra from the little time i run high sierra and more time at mojave with rx 580. i think that at high sierra everything was bit faster and more stable . i have informations from apple technicians that mojave is a disappointment OS makes so much problems to the old macs and not only . that's why Catalina is coming ...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I've read in a few forums, that there a few individuals who have successfully upgraded to Catalina but I'm awaiting news on the release of the Opencore with Primetime as Tsialex mentioned on another thread and then take the leap.

As it stands, the workaround sounds complicated for a novice like me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-catalina-work-with-macpro5-1.2183978/page-27
It's a very stupid move to take the reliability of 10.14.6 and then install the basket case of 10.15.0…

No one should install 10.15 in a MP5,1 now. Mojave will have two more years of Security Updates, when Apple stops changing Catalina weekly (19A583A, 19A602, 19A603), maybe next year, I can think of using it besides for tests.

4ndr0med4

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
Being dumb here, but I'm helping out someone here with upgrading his 5,1 Mac Pro. From my understanding, this still won't allow for the GPU to show the boot screen at startup? Really need to know since he depends on it. Thanks!

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Being dumb here, but I'm helping out someone here with upgrading his 5,1 Mac Pro. From my understanding, this still won't allow for the GPU to show the boot screen at startup? Really need to know since he depends on it. Thanks!
Correct. This does NOT provide a boot screen.
You can buy EFI flashed cards on eBay or from MacVidCards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.