Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Since when is a ToS gospel? You can change any rule, ToS, or law to reflect anything you want. Just because it is in the ToS doesn't mean it's good.

And Twitter was run by people (Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde) who were openly discussing and defending censoring Twitter based on left wing politics. If Twitter was run by people who were openly discussing and defending censoring Twitter based on right wing politics I'd be pretty mad about that as well.
I switched off after your first few lines of moaning. The TOS don’t have to be fair or to your liking. But those are the rules of the platform. Follow the rules you’re fine, don’t and you are toast. It’s a simple concept I’m sorry you struggle with it.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I switched off after your first few lines of moaning. The TOS don’t have to be fair or to your liking. But those are the rules of the platform. Follow the rules you’re fine, don’t and you are toast. It’s a simple concept I’m sorry you struggle with it.

Think more critically.

Just because something is on a TOS, doesn't mean it's morally right. You should be able to understand and acknowledge that just because something is a stated rule or a law, doesn't mean the reasoning behind it is good.

Accusing me of moaning and using that as an excuse not to engage with the argument is just lazy. You could have just not responded.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Think more critically.

Just because something is on a TOS, doesn't mean it's morally right. You should be able to understand and acknowledge that just because something is a stated rule or a law, doesn't mean the reasoning behind it is good.

Accusing me of moaning and using that as an excuse not to engage with the argument is just lazy. You could have just not responded.
I don’t need to think about it, I was really clear about what I said. You are still struggling.

I don’t care if a TOS isn’t morally right. If I don’t like the TOS I don’t do business there. It’s really they simple.

If I agree to a TOS I abide by it, if I violate it I expect to be warned or banned.

I almost didn’t respond.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I don’t need to think about it, I was really clear about what I said. You are still struggling.

I don’t care if a TOS isn’t morally right. If I don’t like the TOS I don’t do business there. It’s really they simple.

Clearly this is just bickering. I'm talking about whether the TOS is morally just or not - I never argued that the TOS didn't exist or that it can't be enforced.

Whereas you don't care if a TOS is right or not. Well, OK, but clearly other people do, and they're going to keep discussing it whether you like it or not.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Mastodon is so heavily moderated to their own perspective and opinions they have a dedicated section in their guide for blocking and silencing people 🤣🤣

I really appreciate the work of the guys behind this effort. Making a twitter like software in FOSS, in their free time, for free is a feat but to claim "freedom" and encourage "free speech" and the right to express opinion and criticise then block others for what they say is absolute hypocrisy 🤣🤣

Mastodons “allows for people to create their own servers”, so is that like a Discord of sorts?

Putting Mastodon next to Twitter as an alternative, doesn’t sound like great marketing either… to me at least.

I made a Mastodon account the other week so I could get a good username, but it seems like I made an account on some community server and I don’t understand how this works. My username is like a subdomain of the community and idk how to make a generic one that can be used anywhere. Like my username changes based on what server I’m on and I have to be approved for each one? Sounds really confusing.

I heard rumors there was a startup with solid funding with a real Twitter clone about to come out of stealth soon.

So let me explain how it works.

Mastodon = Is free software that works like Twitter called microblogging
Instance/Server= Is a computer/domain/website that has Mastodon software installed on it. Its like its own Twitter world. You can setup your own if you like.
Username/account = Is your own username/account on that specific server.

So the official instance/server is mastodon.social . If you choose MacDuke username you would be @MacDuke@Mastodon.social . thats your account. If there is another instance that is a mastodon about European Union called EU.com , another guy can choose a user name called MacDuke there.

So you will be: @MacDuke@Mastodon.social
and he will be: @MacDuke@EU.com

All instances/servers can talk to each other and see each other unless the moderator of your instance (@mastodon.social) has blocked a user or another instance from showing up (@eu.com) . Yes your server/instance moderator can block YOU from reading other opinions so pick a server that does not do any blocking.

They have 3 timelines , one for people you follow, one to read all the tweets/toots(As they call them) from your instance/server , and a universal one where you can see postings from every other user and mastodon server on the internet (unless it was blocked by your instance/server moderator).

An instance/server can also choose to be private/separated from the rest of the Mastodon instances. So you can have one just for your family and no one from the outside world can register on it, post to it, or read whats going on it.

You are 100 percent correct. Though if you posted that on Mastodon, they would've all reported you and had you silenced immediately for the sin of "wrong think"
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Personally, I like that. If one is on an instance that wants no part of a certain other instance, they should be able to lock that out.

The answer there is change instances (as a user) if needed/desired

It doesn't work like that. If you choose to change an instance you lose your account and all the data and followers and following list. Its like having an Facebook account and Apple account. You can not migrate AFAIK. You are at the mercy of your instance/server moderation.

Blocking users or other instances should be the user's choice not my admin's choice. Who are they to dictate to me who I talk to, what I read, and whom do I interact with? I do not want my server moderator blocking me from reading Japanese news or some gun aficionado instance. This is literally what the CCP does for the Chinese people by blocking Google services. They make the decision for you, you do not make it for yourself.

ِEDIT: Looks like you can export your data to another server

Where?

You can go on any street corner and espouse basically anything you want

Same for online -- fire up your own blog and say anything you want -- accessible from the entire world (save for dystopias like Russia/China/etc). Link to it .. draw folks in .. create a community around it...on and on

Nobody has a "right" to say whatever they want on private platforms, however.

Additionally, nobody has a right to force anyone else to listen to them. Being moderated for such things on private platforms, according to ToS on said platforms, is not restricting any rights.

I have no idea why this is so hard for folks to get.
You can say anything you want -- we don't have to listen to it, nor do private platforms have to tolerate it.

Depends on what you define a "private" platform. Are corporate services private or not? Lets assume you hate Donald Trump and make a post that you hate him on your blog. You used ATT ISP to make the post, can ATT block you for it because ATT is a "private" service? The place where you registered your domain like GoDaddy.com , can they block you because you used their "private" service to point to your blogpost? Can Google block you because you used their Blogger software to make that post because Blogger is a "private" platform?

Guess what, FB, Twitter, Google all block people with opinions they do not like.

So yeah, is a publicly traded company a private platform or a public platform?

I am going to sign up for Mastodon so I can take a real look at it instead of assuming things, what should my username be? Serious suggestions only please!

ProfessionalFan ! You can pick up any user name as every server/instance has its own usernames.

So @ProfessionalFan@USA.com is a different guy from @ProfessionalFan@UK.co.uk . You can even create your own server @professionalfan@professionalfan.com . But all instances/servers can see other users and servers/instances and talk to them unless they have been blocked by the server/instance admin.

Last edited:

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Clearly this is just bickering. I'm talking about whether the TOS is morally just or not - I never argued that the TOS didn't exist or that it can't be enforced.
Whereas you don't care if a TOS is right or not. Well, OK, but clearly other people do, and they're going to keep discussing it whether you like it or not.
I know what you are talking about and it’s irrelevant. Don’t like the TOS don’t use the service. Any company is free to make a TOS however egregious or morally wrong. So you can all keep discussing it until you are blue in the face but the only thing happening is you are wasting your energy.

I’ve stated this 3 times now and you are still going round in circles.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I know what you are talking about and it’s irrelevant. Don’t like the TOS don’t use the service. Any company is free to make a TOS however egregious or morally wrong. So you can all keep discussing it until you are blue in the face but the only thing happening is you are wasting your energy.

I’ve stated this 3 times now and you are still going round in circles.

Companies can make rules, but the rest of us can discuss them. Until you figure that out, you're probably going to have a bad time.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It doesn't work like that. If you choose to change an instance you lose your account and all the data and followers and following list. Its like having an Facebook account and Apple account. You can not migrate AFAIK. You are at the mercy of your instance/server moderation.

They have guide covering it
Migration is totally possible while retaining everything you mentioned

Reactions: chillvisio

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Mastodon is so heavily moderated to their own perspective and opinions they have a dedicated section in their guide for blocking and silencing people 🤣🤣

I really appreciate the work of the guys behind this effort. Making a twitter like software in FOSS, in their free time, for free is a feat but to claim "freedom" and encourage "free speech" and the right to express opinion and criticise then block others for what they say is absolute hypocrisy 🤣🤣

So let me explain how it works.

Mastodon = Is free software that works like Twitter called microblogging
Instance/Server= Is a computer/domain/website that has Mastodon software installed on it. Its like its own Twitter world. You can setup your own if you like.
Username/account = Is your own username/account on that specific server.

So the official instance/server is mastodon.social . If you choose MacDuke username you would be @MacDuke@Mastodon.social . thats your account. If there is another instance that is a mastodon about European Union called EU.com , another guy can choose a user name called MacDuke there.

So you will be: @MacDuke@Mastodon.social
and he will be: @MacDuke@EU.com

All instances/servers can talk to each other and see each other unless the moderator of your instance (@mastodon.social) has blocked a user or another instance from showing up (@eu.com) . Yes your server/instance moderator can block YOU from reading other opinions so pick a server that does not do any blocking.

They have 3 timelines , one for people you follow, one to read all the tweets/toots(As they call them) from your instance/server , and a universal one where you can see postings from every other user and mastodon server on the internet (unless it was blocked by your instance/server moderator).

An instance/server can also choose to be private/separated from the rest of the Mastodon instances. So you can have one just for your family and no one from the outside world can register on it, post to it, or read whats going on it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Blocking users or other instances should be the user's choice not my admin's choice. Who are they to dictate to me who I talk to, what I read, and whom do I interact with? I do not want my server moderator blocking me from reading Japanese news or some gun aficionado instance. This is literally what the CCP does for the Chinese people by blocking Google services. They make the decision for you, you do not make it for yourself.

Depends on what you define a "private" platform. Are corporate services private or not? Lets assume you hate Donald Trump and make a post that you hate him on your blog. You used ATT ISP to make the post, can ATT block you for it because ATT is a "private" service? The place where you registered your domain like GoDaddy.com , can they block you because you used their "private" service to point to your blogpost? Can Google block you because you used their Blogger software to make that post because Blogger is a "private" platform?

Guess what, FB, Twitter, Google all block people with opinions they do not like.

So yeah, is a publicly traded company a private platform or a public platform?

ProfessionalFan ! You can pick up any user name as every server/instance has its own usernames.

So @ProfessionalFan@USA.com is a different guy from @ProfessionalFan@UK.co.uk . You can even create your own server @professionalfan@professionalfan.com . But all instances/servers can see other users and servers/instances and talk to them unless they have been blocked by the server/instance admin.
Hey man, thanks a lot for explaining more in depth about how it works. Quite clear. Appreciated.

Wholeheartedly agree also on the downsides. The fact that a server moderator can block users and posts from completely different users at other mastodon server instances strikes me in a very wrong way. Indeed just like totalitarian countries blocking specific URLs.

Also it is akin to Twitter banning and blocking specific people, except that in the case of Twitter there’s only one single “worldwide server” (in mastodon’s terms): the Twitter one.

Thanks again.

Reactions: MacBH928

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
They have guide covering it
Migration is totally possible while retaining everything you mentioned

Assuming your server's mod does not block or delete your account in the first place because he doesn't like your posts.

from their guide:-

As a final step in moving your account, something you may want to do is to let people know that you have moved your account to a new instance! Scrolling to the bottom of the “Appearances” tab of the Profile edit page you will find the option to announce that you have moved accounts under the helpfully titled “Move to a different account” header! What this will do is make it so that when people visit your old profile it is grayed out and people are redirected to your new account.

So yeah, all people who follow you have to re-follow you which is extremely inconvenient. They claim in the future they will have a system where it will happen automatically.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Wow, thread is way off topic. I personally avoid apps when I can use web front anyway.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009

This is what I’ve been trying to get through to Musks supporters, the whole free speech thing is just another manufactured scandal just like Obamas birth certificate and CRT.

In addition to banning anti fascist accounts, he’s bringing back some of the worst neo-Nazi’s. The way he’s going about things it’s MUSK who is trying to shut down not only speech, but change the outcome of elections, it’s always projection from the far right. And at some point Musk is going to cross the line into being a foreign agent, if that isn’t already the case.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Wow, thread is way off topic. I personally avoid apps when I can use web front anyway.
Fair enough, but Tweetbot makes Twitter usable for me. Twitter on the web is a mess of algorithmic decisions and ads. Tweetbot keeps the posts of the people I follow in order and ad free.

Reactions: briandesmond

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Fair enough, but Tweetbot makes Twitter usable for me. Twitter on the web is a mess of algorithmic decisions and ads. Tweetbot keeps the posts of the people I follow in order and ad free.

Tweetbot is the only twitter app I use also. I wonder if they are ever going to update the mac version.

Reactions: BaldiMac

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That's not correct at all.
  • You can request an archive of your posts and media on the old server.
  • Your posts don't move to the new server but your followers do.
  • You can export who you're following from the old server and import them at the new server.
  • You can delete your account on the old server but you don't have to. You can set up a redirect to your new account or you can reactivate it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That's not correct at all.
  • You can request an archive of your posts and media on the old server.
  • Your posts don't move to the new server but your followers do.
  • You can export who you're following from the old server and import them at the new server.
  • You can delete your account on the old server but you don't have to. You can set up a redirect to your new account or you can reactivate it.

I edited that post, but last I remember their export method is not yet complete or in beta.

Reactions: MisterSavage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.