Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Mastodon has been really awesome for me -- Super refreshing.

It's been like the Twitter I remember upon joining in the late 2000s

Great people, great interactions, no crypto bots or BS
That's been my experience as well. All the people posting hate about it on this thread have, by their own admission, never used it. All "hive mind" this and "anti Elon" that... I haven't seen any of that on Mastodon, at least not amongst the people I follow or my server's feed. Honestly all the anti Elon stuff I only see on Twitter.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
It's not hard to understand the difference between algorithms pushing content to you and you choosing what to read yourself.

Echo chambers will always exist in some form or another, it is human nature to find safety in bubbles, but when a software platform and its CEO/board abuse their position to manipulate users then we have a problem on our hands.

The ultra wealthy who lose their minds and brainwash their followers to use them as soldiers should all be treated the same, whether it was Henry Ford and his newspaper/books, Osama in his cave, Murdoch and his "news" network, Putin and his private armies and troll farms, or Trump and MAGA, or Musk and his Muskrat army. If you encourage them they will grow worse and worse and worse.

It is nearly impossible to become ultra wealthy and maintain sanity. 99% of the ultra wealthy will always become extremists.

But I don't think they should be censored. Censoring them will allow them to argue that there is some "plot against freedom" and all other stupid conspiracy theories. We know these these madmen profess to fight for freedom but they are liars.

Instead of censoring, prosecute financial fraud.

Shine a light on their activities every day, including their private networks and financial interests. If stocks are being manipulated with false promises, if markets are being manipulated, if money is being laundered, if bribes are being paid - this is how you prevent the wealthy from abusing society.

In the name of "economic growth" we have seen almost no regulation or prosecution or audits for years. Over half of Musk's promises and manipulations are no different from Elizabeth Holmes and Trevor Milton's fraud.
This reads to me like you construct your world view along arbitrary political lines, making the same thing good or bad depending on whether you perceive whoever does it on your side of the fence or not. You gave me no actual reason what in your view makes Mastodon somehow more resilient in terms of echo chambers than Twitter or even the excellent negative example of usenet that you brought up yourself. All you gave me is a string of words that sounds like some conspiracy theory to me. I don't really care about those at all. I wish I could believe in stuff like that, but usually the world does not turn out to be as simple.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Great to see this -- including the continued support and commitment to Tweetbot!

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.21.25.png

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I can tell from the attitude of proud Mastodon users just what I could expect to find there.

Give it a try!
Find a server you resonate with and jump in -- it's really great actually

Meanwhile, Twitter is becoming more like this for many folks

Re: Why I deactivated my Twitter

I deactivated my Twitter account myself, not by Twitter

Since the takeover, I’ve been getting an increased amount of casual racism and sexual harassments on the bird site

I guess expecting people to be respectful to one another online by default is too much to ask and apparently “woke”? And being a (redacted) to people for no reasons is now appreciated on the platform??

I feel like this would’ve gotten worse. So I deactivated, and I don’t know for how long this time…

Last edited:

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I’ll be sticking with Twitter, thanks.

Twitter is the best hope for a forum for moderate viewpoints and open discussion.

What Elon Musk is doing is an attempt to make sure the playing field is fair, and discussion/debate will not be censored for political reasons as it was in the past. Some people are threatened by allowing free discussion on Twitter.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Some people are threatened by allowing free discussion on Twitter.

Nobody is threatened by free discussion, that's mostly a straw man

People don't want unfettered nastiness, misogyny, racism and harassment directed at them, at scale

If Elon gets 100% of what he wants, it will basically just become a "white bro" site, which will be as appealing to advertisers and mainstream users as Truth Social, Parler and other existing niche sites

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Twitter promised to be a Town Square but then people started fighting over tiny things. So the problem is not the platform but the people. We have never learnt to move together as one people ever. So this mastadoon or whatever next comes will become toxic very soon.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Nobody is threatened by free discussion, that's mostly a straw man

People don't want unfettered nastiness, misogyny, racism and harassment directed at them, at scale

If Elon gets 100% of what he wants, it will basically just become a "white bro" site, which will be as appealing to advertisers and mainstream users as Truth Social, Parler and other existing niche sites

Once the informed minority leaves the platform, their audiences will follow. Nobody is sticking around en masses to hear what "catturd2" has to say about things. There is a reason why alt-poloitcal / alt-right sites don't do well. It is becuse they can't stand their own echo chamber. What they want is an audience to hold hostage to listen to their nonsense and argue with them. Given a choice, cancer will choose a healthy living body to infect over a corpse.

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
One other thought (before I get sidetracked again)

Many years ago, the twitter app sucked - both on iOS and MacOS. Tapbots' Tweetbot and Twitteriffic did a great job of making the entire platform more usable. We may be seeing the same thing with Tapbots and Mastodon.

At least I hope so!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
One other thought (before I get sidetracked again)

Many years ago, the twitter app sucked - both on iOS and MacOS. Tapbots' Tweetbot and Twitteriffic did a great job of making the entire platform more usable. We may be seeing the same thing with Tapbots and Mastodon.

At least I hope so!
When I first got on Mastodon I thought it was a mess because I thought it was dumb to have to pick a server, all my friends were on different servers and what if I wanted to see them all. Then I got on, got a 3rd party app (I used Metatext) and realized that I could still follow friends on other servers. It's still not a Twitter replacement... it's not simple enough to replace Twitter, if something were to actually replace Twitter it would really have to be a single platform like Twitter or Facebook or something (but not Twitter or Facebook obviously.) But Mastodon itself should not be discounted just because it isn't a clone of Twitter. My friends that I made on Twitter and that migrated to Mastodon are usually more tech focused people, so they migrated over just fine and it really does feel like the "early days of Twitter" but mainly because for ME at least, the "early days of twitter" was a bunch of geeks geeking out over a new platform.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Twitter hasn't changed in the least for me. I search for the content I want, and I find it. If I run across content I don't like, I leave it. Twitter can ban the people with obvious hate speech, calls for violence, etc. and I'll handle the misinformation etc. because I'm a grown adult and my safe space is just a click away. I wish Elon wasn't so dramatic because it masks that in general he hasn't done much wrong with Twitter so far (it was stupid to let people get blue checks with the names of companies without checking, I admit, but he stopped in a day or so.) Twitter is a VERY ingrained part of a huge amount of people's lives from celebrity, government, companies, and regular people. Let Apple and Google and the EU ban Twitter and see what happens.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
What’s Mastodon?

it's sort of an open source twitter that runs on public servers. you have to pick the "instance" or server to join and you only see and communicate with people on that server so its all disjointed and not unified, at least without software (perhaps what Tapbots intends) that tries to unify the results of several instances. You also run the risk that when whoever runs the instance gets bored your entire Mastodon world just disappears. It is also buggy as hell.

Reactions: 1557750

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
When I first got on Mastodon I thought it was a mess because I thought it was dumb to have to pick a server, all my friends were on different servers and what if I wanted to see them all. Then I got on, got a 3rd party app (I used Metatext) and realized that I could still follow friends on other servers. It's still not a Twitter replacement... it's not simple enough to replace Twitter, if something were to actually replace Twitter it would really have to be a single platform like Twitter or Facebook or something (but not Twitter or Facebook obviously.) But Mastodon itself should not be discounted just because it isn't a clone of Twitter. My friends that I made on Twitter and that migrated to Mastodon are usually more tech focused people, so they migrated over just fine and it really does feel like the "early days of Twitter" but mainly because for ME at least, the "early days of twitter" was a bunch of geeks geeking out over a new platform.
Agree - I'm enjoying it like the early days of twitter too! I would like a nicer app - especially for my Mac!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
it's sort of an open source twitter that runs on public servers. you have to pick the "instance" or server to join and you only see and communicate with people on that server so its all disjointed and not unified. You also run the risk that when whoever runs the instance gets bored your entire Mastodon world just disappears. It is also buggy as hell.
You join a server but you can see and communicate with whomever you want to. I only follow 3 people from the server I'm on, all the rest are on different servers. Once you join a server and get a decent app, it works and looks pretty much just like Twitter.

Reactions: larryj

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
I liked Tweetbot, but when they went for subscription I didn't sign up ... am still using old version. Which, it seems like they have removed some features that used to work. It's a good app though, the main good thing it has that would help in looking at Mastodon is the sync of where you are between mac and phone.

As for Twitter, it is hard to see how it has a long term success rate, with debt service (paying the interest on the debt) greater than income. Hard to see them selling a lot of advertising with the ad sales teams laid off.🍸😹. It is instructive to note that Tesla has never advertised. Don't know about SpaceX but ... why would they advertise? 🍸😹

Reactions: turbineseaplane

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
People that are mad about this for ideological reasons are vastly overstating the challenges of using the Fediverse. Self-hosting will always require some effort, but nobody is forcing you to self host anyways... Unless the kind of content you're posting is extreme.
Yeah but if there is only a handful of major hosts then how is this any improvement?

Doesn’t mastodon itself exist for ideological reasons? Twitter wasn’t far left enough?

boyarka

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2021
Do a little research before commenting.
I did, it's called "the news". And in those news the SJWs and leftists got their panties in a twist and fled (partially) to places like Mastadon.
Exactly what is incorrect about this?

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I did, it's called "the news". And in those news the SJWs and leftists got their panties in a twist and fled (partially) to places like Mastadon.
Exactly what is incorrect about this?
You are 100 percent correct. Though if you posted that on Mastodon, they would've all reported you and had you silenced immediately for the sin of "wrong think"

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
MacRumors, I can promise with full confidence and I believe I speak for all of my fellow forum users here that absolutely none of us care about Mastodon.
I do to the extent that I'd like to see decentralized alternatives to proprietary silo-platforms grow, and Mastodon is serving its purpose as an on-ramp to the fediverse (which, ideally, at least some of these newbies will eventually realize is not an invention of Mastodon and calling it the "Mastodon network" is like calling roads "the Toyota network").

It's kind of disappointing that this is all coming along with a bunch of obnoxious political baggage and that a lot of people haven't considered that a decentralized Twitter alternative is, by definition, not going to work exactly like Twitter… but again, some people will stick around and figure out what's really going on with the tech, and the fediverse will grow, and in the long run that is a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.