Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Facebook and Twitter go in the same dustbin with the other repositories of disposable no-value garbage. Actually, compared to these two, MySpace, Angelfire, and Geocities were practically utopian in their scope, methods, and effects on society and individuals brains. Clinging to these utter crap platforms makes no sense from any angle other than the sad display of the engineered addiction.

• Love
Reactions: attila

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I remember the mac rumors articles on all the alternatives to twitter when they banned people...no I am joking. But now that they are unbanning people...people need alternatives. Free speech...its not for the weak I guess.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Twitter's fact checking system (community notes) is working well since it flags everyone, even Elon was flagged by it yesterday. This should be celebrated. The problem is it only flagged certain people before and the left (who was never flagged before) doesn't like that. That's why they got their NPCs all riled up about Space Man being bad in the first place.

Reactions: Sedulous

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Apple requires all social media platforms in the App store to be moderated. Elon fired all of Twitters moderators but one single person in charge of searching the entire service for CP, and dismantled the protections from medical and scientific misinformation. His actions serving one extreme political faction put him in direct conflict with Apples terms. He can whine and cry about it forever, but he’s free to finish bankrupting himself by building his own crappy phone tailored to dispersing far-right ideological scientific misinformation if he wants. No one is stopping him.
False.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Twitter's fact checking system (community notes) is working well since it flags everyone, even Elon was flagged by it yesterday. This should be celebrated. The problem is it only flagged certain people before and the left (who was never flagged before) doesn't like that. That's why they got their NPCs all riled up about Space Man being bad in the first place.
No, it flagged everyone before Elon Musk took over. He didn't invent Community Notes, just renamed it.

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
Tweetbot MacOS is NOT on par with Tweetbot iOS/iPadPOS which has not received any update for months. Still paying for a subscription though.
Seems they are developing a new version but haven’t provided a timeline. Twitter’s APIs charge money so you are actually paying for a lite version of Twitter Blue.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I don't get the outrage over Twitter. Yes, Elon seems like he doesn't have a plan and is making lots of rash decisions. But from a content perspective, we each control what we see on our timelines. So if you don't like a certain account, smash that block button.
The “outrage” is directed from the top. The concerted hitpieces in the media, crybully outcry, and fearmongering from elites all were intended to scuttle the ship. Klaxons have sounded and many are running for the hills though they know not why.

• Disagree
Reactions: turbineseaplane

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
The “outrage” is directed from the top. The concerted hitpieces in the media, crybully outcry, and fearmongering from elites all were intended to scuttle the ship. Klaxons have sounded and many are running for the hills though they know not why.

always with the elites. Like how twitter blue for $8 wasn't his own poor execution problem.

Reactions: Santiago

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I, for one, appreciate that the Mastodon users self segregated themselves from Twitter. Seems like a win-win for everyone. They get to enjoy the smell of their own farts in their echo chamber, and nobody has to trigger them over on twitter.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I, for one, appreciate that the Mastodon users self segregated themselves from Twitter. Seems like a win-win for everyone. They get to enjoy the smell of their own farts in their echo chamber, and nobody has to trigger them over on twitter.
I can appreciate the sentiment but also causes worry. Big echo chambers reinforce ideas and provide certainty even if an idea is bad. Is likely a mechanism that has created such divergent extremes.

Enlightened Doggo

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
Twitter has gotten far better since Elon took over.
Notifications on my business account stopped loading, replies don't load under tweets, the exact same spam links everywhere. It's a mess before you even consider the influx of high profile white nationalists that Elon personally unbanned.

Reactions: Santiago
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.