Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Mastodons “allows for people to create their own servers”, so is that like a Discord of sorts?

Putting Mastodon next to Twitter as an alternative, doesn’t sound like great marketing either… to me at least.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I don't get the outrage over Twitter. Yes, Elon seems like he doesn't have a plan and is making lots of rash decisions. But from a content perspective, we each control what we see on our timelines. So if you don't like a certain account, smash that block button.

I likewise don’t get the concern that people aren’t staying around. Just as they can block a user they can choose to abandon the platform.

They don’t owe Musk anything.

Reactions: Colstan and KeithBN

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Mastodons “allows for people to create their own servers”, so is that like a Discord of sorts?

Putting Mastodon next to Twitter as an alternative, doesn’t sound like great marketing either… to me at least.
Mastodon is based on ActvityPub. It’s a federated service. There are others as well. It’s decentralized. Not like Discord. Discord is centralized.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I made a Mastodon account the other week so I could get a good username, but it seems like I made an account on some community server and I don’t understand how this works. My username is like a subdomain of the community and idk how to make a generic one that can be used anywhere. Like my username changes based on what server I’m on and I have to be approved for each one? Sounds really confusing.

I heard rumors there was a startup with solid funding with a real Twitter clone about to come out of stealth soon.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
Juli Clover “Many Twitter users have been swapping over to Mastodon following the Twitter takeover by Elon Musk“.

Ha, ha. So many bloggers like Juli and reporters in the media are so mad that Musk, a man with a different political view from themselves, has bought Twitter that they’re trying so hard to coordinate a Twitter exodus revolution but the only ones going are themselves, only they haven’t actually left Twitter!

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan

Discord redefines the meaning of servers. For federated servers of communication like Discord, the Matrix protocol is a popular alternative.

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I made a Mastodon account the other week so I could get a good username, but it seems like I made an account on some community server and I don’t understand how this works. My username is like a subdomain of the community and idk how to make a generic one that can be used anywhere. Like my username changes based on what server I’m on and I have to be approved for each one? Sounds really confusing.

I heard rumors there was a startup with solid funding with a real Twitter clone about to come out of stealth soon.
You register one account on a server and you can communicate with other people on your home server and other federated servers. You don’t have to register the other unless the server is not linked with the other servers.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Mark me down as PRO “Nazi moderation”. Why? Well, if those people groom enough people into their cult, they will eventually kill us all. So the whole paradox of tolerance thing, yea. I know that’s sort of off topic, but since so many people on the right can’t comprehend this, it needs to be said. The holocaust didn’t happen overnight, eliminationist rhetoric is not free speech, it’s a genocidal threat, and it needs to be treated as such. Twitter was already a hot mess before Elon took over, but at least they banned some of the worst offenders that Elon has brought back.

The question I have is this, why are conservatives so hell bent on allowing Nazis to spread their venom on Twitter and elsewhere? Is it because they agree with them?

Now to the topic at hand, I keep hearing so much about Mastodon, what is it? And what does it mean to create your own server?

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Not only does “Mastodon” not roll off the tongue as nicely as most social apps. The platform is clunky and non-intuitive for the average person.

I don’t see it ever becoming popular. Although I do like the decentralized approach.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I don't think Mastodon is likely to go anywhere. Most people who claim to walk away from Twitter are not genuine about why they have been on Twitter in the first place. The reason why they leave is mostly appearances and political signaling. Nobody is actually bothered that much by the toxicity on that platform. In fact, I believe it's the reason why people enjoy it so much. The dopamine rush of getting all worked up over some silly tweet you disagree with and then responding with something you think is smart and powerful, thinking for a few minutes that there's a way to win an internet argument ever. That's why people are on Twitter, despite everyone being ashamed about it. If they shut themselves into small bubbles with homogenous opinions, that addictive feeling is gone. Agreeing with other people on everything is only enjoyable when there's the other side to fight against. People will eventually grow tired of it and go back to the trenches. This supposed exodus of people is really just part of the game, just another move to win the internet argument once and for all (which of course, will never happen).

Last edited:

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Mark me down as PRO “Nazi moderation”. Why? Well, if those people groom enough people into their cult, they will eventually kill us all. So the whole paradox of tolerance thing, yea. I know that’s sort of off topic, but since so many people on the right can’t comprehend this, it needs to be said. The holocaust didn’t happen overnight, eliminationist rhetoric is not free speech, it’s a genocidal threat, and it needs to be treated as such. Twitter was already a hot mess before Elon took over, but at least they banned some of the worst offenders that Elon has brought back.

The question I have is this, why are conservatives so hell bent on allowing Nazis to spread their venom on Twitter and elsewhere? Is it because they agree with them?

Now to the topic at hand, I keep hearing so much about Mastodon, what is it? And what does it mean to create your own server?

A lot of internet noobs don't know about Usenet and what happened there in the 90s and early 2000s.

It was decentralized social media/bulletin board but very much impossible to moderate. As the internet became popular it became flooded with Nazis, conspiracy theorists, people who thought Bill Gates was Satan, people who said the world was going to end in year 2000, and spam. Impersonation was easy just by spoofing someone else's headers. A lot of users used Deja to post there.

Then Google acquired Deja and buried it. Almost nobody used it anymore, it is flooded with spam and the Nazis fell apart and went back to their Stormer forums.

Mastodon is conceptually a bit like Usenet except that each server can be moderated and users can delete/edit their toots. Moderating it is no different from the way sub-Reddits and MacRumor sub-forums each have their own moderators.

There's no algorithm pushing you deeper into echo chambers and rabbit holes. No ads. No idiotic conman CEO trying to turn you into a sheep who believes all their lies and manipulations.

Last edited:

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
There's no algorithm pushing you deeper into echo chambers and rabbit holes.
I do not understand how you derived that from your previous statements. Mastodon is a self-regulated network and I would say it is precisely set up to diverge into a plethora of echo chambers that can go as extreme as the members allow it to be (which, as is obvious from your example of usenet, is very extreme). That may not be specifically algorithmically enforced, but it is definitely part of the very concept of it. I see no way how something like Mastodon will magically self-moderate in the sense that extreme ideas will be suppressed and countered. You just won't see them.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
My comment is not on wether to choose Mastodon over Twitter but is only related to Tapbots.

Tweetbot MacOS is NOT on par with Tweetbot iOS/iPadPOS which has not received any update for months. Still paying for a subscription though.

Remember their other apps Calcbot and Pastebot. Both have not received an update for a long time too.

Interesting to see that Weightbot is again mentioned on their website https://tapbots.com It was one of their first apps but is also abandonware for a long time.

To me their development of a Mastodon client seems only a bitter excuse to stop with further Tweetbot development. That said I recently switched to Spring for Twitter which has active development despite all the fuzz at Twitter.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I do not understand how you derived that from your previous statements. Mastodon is a self-regulated network and I would say it is precisely set up to diverge into a plethora of echo chambers that can go as extreme as the members allow it to be (which, as is obvious from your example of usenet, is very extreme). That may not be specifically algorithmically enforced, but it is definitely part of the very concept of it. I see no way how something like Mastodon will magically self-moderate in the sense that extreme ideas will be suppressed and countered. You just won't see them.

It's not hard to understand the difference between algorithms pushing content to you and you choosing what to read yourself.

Echo chambers will always exist in some form or another, it is human nature to find safety in bubbles, but when a software platform and its CEO/board abuse their position to manipulate users then we have a problem on our hands.

The ultra wealthy who lose their minds and brainwash their followers to use them as soldiers should all be treated the same, whether it was Henry Ford and his newspaper/books, Osama in his cave, Murdoch and his "news" network, Putin and his private armies and troll farms, or Trump and MAGA, or Musk and his Muskrat army. If you encourage them they will grow worse and worse and worse.

It is nearly impossible to become ultra wealthy and maintain sanity. 99% of the ultra wealthy will always become extremists.

But I don't think they should be censored. Censoring them will allow them to argue that there is some "plot against freedom" and all other stupid conspiracy theories. We know these these madmen profess to fight for freedom but they are liars.

Instead of censoring, prosecute financial fraud.

Shine a light on their activities every day, including their private networks and financial interests. If stocks are being manipulated with false promises, if markets are being manipulated, if money is being laundered, if bribes are being paid - this is how you prevent the wealthy from abusing society.

In the name of "economic growth" we have seen almost no regulation or prosecution or audits for years. Over half of Musk's promises and manipulations are no different from Elizabeth Holmes and Trevor Milton's fraud.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sedulous

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
its honestly been a lot funnier reading all the tweets now
Agreed. If people are abusive there’s always a report button. It’s great to be able to speak freely on Twitter once again and have a joke around without feeling hall monitors are watching your every move.

I got banned on IG for spamming my company’s products—the only problem being I don’t own a company nor make products. So that would mean a mod working for IG didn’t like the meme I DM’d to my friend (yes, the mod was reading my DM’s) and made up a reason not based on reality as a means to block my account. How pathetic 😂. Best thing to ever happen me getting away from that hell-hole of an app.

I am never mean nor abusive to anyone on social media and therefore I shouldn’t need to walk around on egg shells. Twitter with Elon has brought back a semblance of sanity and normalcy to Twitter. Now his team just needs to mount a defence against the bots, scams and the trolls posting content totally unrelated to the thread at hand.

Trends have being fixed across many countries on Twitter now from Italy to Japan. Japan has returned to anime trends and politics (which is never talked about as much) has mostly dropped off the Japanese trend radar. Just imagine for a moment the mods in Japan working for Twitter were artificially propping up politics in trends? Feels so insidious somehow. Deliberately wanting to increase political tensions in your country? Bizarre, frankly.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I got banned on IG for spamming my company’s products—the only problem being I don’t own a company nor make products.
Had this same happen to me years ago on another platform. When asked they said sorry rules are enforced. LOl, I never said I had a company or had any connections with said people. stupidity at its best.

Reactions: Mac Fly (film)
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.