Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
Meh, this is just anti musk garbage. I expect more from Macrumors. Personally I don't want Apple censoring content. I'll hate Twitter once Musk gives me a reason. I see people flipping out about the 8 dollars check mark but they didn't even have one before. I'm curious how they will handle Trump, will they include community notes? Hopefully. All these people running around that the sky is falling should just chill and watch the sky fall. Either it falls in a glorious fire ball or nothing happens.
Very well said.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Leftists who are mad that Twitter is no longer a vehicle for leftist censorship are so desperate to make Mastodon happen.

I'm left leaning, so don't bother trying to call me right wing for being able to see through the bs hate machine directed at Elon Musk just because he stopped the censorship.
It just gives me joy to see the Joe Biden Administration White House account get fact checked now. Both sides lie... so both sides should be fact checked.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
Meh, this is just anti musk garbage. I expect more from Macrumors. Personally I don't want Apple censoring content. I'll hate Twitter once Musk gives me a reason. I see people flipping out about the 8 dollars check mark but they didn't even have one before. I'm curious how they will handle Trump, will they include community notes? Hopefully. All these people running around that the sky is falling should just chill and watch the sky fall. Either it falls in a glorious fire ball or nothing happens.
I have been noticing Macrumors and reddit bandwagoning all the time and it's getting annoying how biased some of the political content added into macrumors

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
Lower your bar a bit for this place. Elon even tested to see if Community Notes would correct his tweet, and it did. He's just the current thing they were told to hate, they probably couldn't even tell you why they hate him (aside from some choice names or adjectives).

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Leftists who are mad that Twitter is no longer a vehicle for leftist censorship are so desperate to make Mastodon happen.

I'm left leaning, so don't bother trying to call me right wing for being able to see through the bs hate machine directed at Elon Musk just because he stopped the censorship.
Ah yes. That ‘leftist’ censorship, better known as violating ToS.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple requires all social media platforms in the App store to be moderated. Elon fired all of Twitters moderators but one single person in charge of searching the entire service for CP, and dismantled the protections from medical and scientific misinformation. His actions serving one extreme political faction put him in direct conflict with Apples terms. He can whine and cry about it forever, but he’s free to finish bankrupting himself by building his own crappy phone tailored to dispersing far-right ideological scientific misinformation if he wants. No one is stopping him.

Last edited:

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Ah yes. That ‘leftist’ censorship, better known as violating ToS.

Since when is a ToS gospel? You can change any rule, ToS, or law to reflect anything you want. Just because it is in the ToS doesn't mean it's good.

And Twitter was run by people (Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde) who were openly discussing and defending censoring Twitter based on left wing politics. If Twitter was run by people who were openly discussing and defending censoring Twitter based on right wing politics I'd be pretty mad about that as well.

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
If Twitter continues to operate in a blasé faire fashion under Musk, the EU are going to have some serious words with him. Twitter is an international company and needs to follow local laws. Failure to do so will more than likely hit Twitter with numerous fines (or perhaps worse). That Twitter under Musk has more than likely violated various labour laws in the US and elsewhere alone will get the relevant authorities attention.

Stick with Twitter or go with Mastodon. Or do both. At least there is a choice.

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
If Twitter continues to operate in a blasé faire fashion under Musk, the EU are going to have some serious words with him. Twitter is an international company and needs to follow local laws. Failure to do so will more than likely hit Twitter with numerous fines (or perhaps worse). That Twitter under Musk has more than likely violated various labour laws in the US and elsewhere alone will get the relevant authorities attention.

Stick with Twitter or go with Mastodon. Or do both. At least there is a choice.
Laissez faire? Otherwise, agreed.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Meh, this is just anti musk garbage. I expect more from Macrumors. Personally I don't want Apple censoring content.
Am I reading this right? "I don't like 'censorship' and Macrumors should stop reporting on Twitter's competition"?

This fits well with the "people should stop complaining about Musk and support free speech" and "Only leftist commies complain about other people's politics" arguments I've been seeing from people for days.

Where are all the free market "competition is always good" people on this one?

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Isn’t that the same for everyone though… That they’ll hate Twitter once Musk gives them a reason to? Except, as expected, that line is different for them than you. You shouldn’t be shocked here…

You’re free to keep using it and supporting Musk if you want. No one will stop you.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Mastodon recently removed the term 'Toot' from its platform. That's unfortunate because TootBot would've been a far more interesting name than Ivory.
Ivory makes sense, at least to me, because Mastodon used to be a species related to the Woolly Mammoth and the Elephant. Elephants have tusks made of ivory, hence why Tweetboot decided to name its Mastodon client Ivory.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
B0Gi05KvpsMJH-Sa6raj6P1a08td0Msz3IuhT3HsPdBcvK_A6AAIx_amKzyw0kKmjT8qO8l62bmiDrlvZANvJIMEiCDKNFgyAifFpyCeQ-2Q-FAq2hqz2K0k7yrxwjmbuAfTPFgTA91m3u4vuibwXZDUZN1iwndfnJRPPhFN0hE4_TcRSzEZmP3pcCLQrDqGndWISVuwAnQQcmWHOpUC0Yd0-VTvkNSoo7-jm3ZLzSGd1XYe4JQxWCPl0klwGTbNit8_QD-daWBHl0agpx7HzBxvxGvmT7Mfcn1YlmZBo-DZKS7YnT386kf0_qx6UJ08PqIIs1K-Uql05N8r8pB9UNUCEsegRsH8drcg4kv7-GBxHBzcURMgZB5R8YwwvtF7jAhT0YFu1oNWB6htk01JGCOHsS5ut4mFqwfG_tQvI2Ub62wWZFXfnirXHv4OGb1ddjZ0iOmfcxVw5hcUjvrz6LL3nZ0tWwAqBgUHLw-Wvg0PUeiOGFOZXHmF_kNI2i42H7YX4VJebXQn0PiJsTBfxZ_FtG0qjmnSA72HkNc2WV1KY7e7G6JU3mlt6HTy5QIseHfP838N9KFaecN-3zPX3YyhKRF0Q3B-Ss2cND5iRb33y2cxkKoTLEUXGSpzXcri4WvHHcI8P5dBDyNxJFYmAiFo0KiKK6BgmshX3XvJgS-b7qnBfNeTgDl0fQ_IHMr1LVK7GvATLD_KfHVdfF3pzZxZHiKdmt2AezC1SPaABJompBVH4dAXjpMCZo9YdgsRJwG0vNo_ZsqVNHT3wj0GlDMFErZvPJp9VI6uiJrQnKFP06EyMEDmDLcu7Z7fyf6w5rzr3MG0BzNcjP5qLJgaVNQJE4VBSc8RnEnAl76LXX7vZcx0y-MiRGoqrxPgsEsmpJsyPzFBmUtFfCkp7d5sV3Ioek5M2_LzyO1mBUeiYKlqMl4BeRRL0GSQoIgCr9J6In9pTdFq6ppWwxQbhK8=w1200-h900-no

I don't get why so many people are fleeing Twitter just because it changed ownership. It isn't like the site fell apart and stopped functioning...
The internet has so many bubbles and people like to be part of the 'we hate Elon, leaving Twitter' bubble. All is well! Twitter is fine, lol. The less Twitter shows up in media, the more people that 'left' will return from Mastodon haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.