Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I got banned on IG for spamming my company’s products—the only problem being I don’t own a company nor make products. So that would mean a mod working for IG didn’t like the meme I DM’d to my friend (yes, the mod was reading my DM’s) and made up a reason not based on reality as a means to block my account. How pathetic 😂. Best thing to ever happen me getting away from that hell-hole of an app.

Unlikely a human mod read your DM and banned you. If a post has been flagged by a lot of people as spammy and then you reshared it the auto-mod will flag your DM as spam. That's a problem of automation. Even if you protest and ask for your account to be restored the replies will come from automated responses.

Trends have being fixed across many countries on Twitter now from Italy to Japan. Japan has returned to anime trends and politics (which is never talked about as much) has mostly dropped off the Japanese trend radar. Just imagine for a moment the mods in Japan working for Twitter were artificially propping up politics in trends? Feels so insidious somehow. Deliberately wanting to increase political tensions in your country? Bizarre, frankly.

Chinese and Russian troll farms target Japan's politics. They both have territorial disputes with Japan. If their activities have been disabled it is temporary or because they are shifting their troll farm resources to other disputes such as Ukraine or the protests across China.

Reactions: Santiago

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Many Twitter users have been swapping over to Mastodon following the Twitter takeover by Elon Musk, and Mastodon has seen a major uptick in adoption over the past few weeks. The app now has over one million monthly active users, with roughly one half of those added since October.

So, Mastodon has 1 million monthly active users now.
Let's put that into perspective.

Twitter has approximately 450 million monthly active users.
Or approximately 230 million daily active users.

Reactions: Mac Fly (film)

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
So, Mastodon has 1 million monthly active users now.
Let's put that into perspective.

Twitter has approximately 450 million monthly active users.
Or approximately 230 million daily active users.

Pointless to talk about the number of "users" Twitter, Instagram or Facebook have when they are easily gamed with bots. They even have APIs that make it easy and automated.

You only have to look at the massive amount of bots that respond within a second or few seconds of Musk tweeting.

Reactions: Enlightened Doggo

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Heard about Mastodon for the first time yesterday and it seemed like a hot mess compared to Twitter.
I come from a technical background and I gave up trying to figure out mastodon and the fedaverse. I can only imagine how eager the average twitter user will be to make the transition. I can't seem to be able to discover anything other than what is served on my face.

Having said that I'm really rooting for a healthy twitter alternative. Twitter had already tons of issues, now it's become an utter circus. Maybe with a significant amount of tweaks mastodon could get there but I'm not holding my breath.

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
B0Gi05KvpsMJH-Sa6raj6P1a08td0Msz3IuhT3HsPdBcvK_A6AAIx_amKzyw0kKmjT8qO8l62bmiDrlvZANvJIMEiCDKNFgyAifFpyCeQ-2Q-FAq2hqz2K0k7yrxwjmbuAfTPFgTA91m3u4vuibwXZDUZN1iwndfnJRPPhFN0hE4_TcRSzEZmP3pcCLQrDqGndWISVuwAnQQcmWHOpUC0Yd0-VTvkNSoo7-jm3ZLzSGd1XYe4JQxWCPl0klwGTbNit8_QD-daWBHl0agpx7HzBxvxGvmT7Mfcn1YlmZBo-DZKS7YnT386kf0_qx6UJ08PqIIs1K-Uql05N8r8pB9UNUCEsegRsH8drcg4kv7-GBxHBzcURMgZB5R8YwwvtF7jAhT0YFu1oNWB6htk01JGCOHsS5ut4mFqwfG_tQvI2Ub62wWZFXfnirXHv4OGb1ddjZ0iOmfcxVw5hcUjvrz6LL3nZ0tWwAqBgUHLw-Wvg0PUeiOGFOZXHmF_kNI2i42H7YX4VJebXQn0PiJsTBfxZ_FtG0qjmnSA72HkNc2WV1KY7e7G6JU3mlt6HTy5QIseHfP838N9KFaecN-3zPX3YyhKRF0Q3B-Ss2cND5iRb33y2cxkKoTLEUXGSpzXcri4WvHHcI8P5dBDyNxJFYmAiFo0KiKK6BgmshX3XvJgS-b7qnBfNeTgDl0fQ_IHMr1LVK7GvATLD_KfHVdfF3pzZxZHiKdmt2AezC1SPaABJompBVH4dAXjpMCZo9YdgsRJwG0vNo_ZsqVNHT3wj0GlDMFErZvPJp9VI6uiJrQnKFP06EyMEDmDLcu7Z7fyf6w5rzr3MG0BzNcjP5qLJgaVNQJE4VBSc8RnEnAl76LXX7vZcx0y-MiRGoqrxPgsEsmpJsyPzFBmUtFfCkp7d5sV3Ioek5M2_LzyO1mBUeiYKlqMl4BeRRL0GSQoIgCr9J6In9pTdFq6ppWwxQbhK8=w1200-h900-no

I don't get why so many people are fleeing Twitter just because it changed ownership. It isn't like the site fell apart and stopped functioning...
Yet, is always the operative word here.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
"Echo Chamber" would be a better name for that app.

We know the type of people who left Twitter in a huff when Elon took over and that's basically all you'll find over there.

Reactions: Mac Fly (film)

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
I wonder how the guys at TapBots feel about how Elon is potentially killing their business by proxy with his flaky behavior?

I think the only reason that third-party twitter apps like Tweetbot continue to work just now is that they've not hit Elon's radar yet because so few people use them.

Once somebody tells him that these third-party apps serve no ads, I imagine he'll either cut off access to the API, or he'll want to monetise these apps somehow.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I've found Mastodon to be pretty great. The complicated bit is the concept that there are multiple servers you can choose from (Like choosing an email provider). If big companies start to host their own servers, I can see it working - i.e. the gmail/hotmail equivalents for Mastodon.

Other than that, its pretty much the same as other social media.

boyarka

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2021
The left, while smiling smugly:
It's cool that Twitter bans, shadowbans and strikes people who don't dance to our tune. If you don't like it - Twitter is a private company. And so is Apple. So **** you trumpet.

Also the left:
NOOOOO! HOW DARE MUSK BUY IT? WHERE IS MY BLUE CHECKMARK????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO PAY TO GET ONE?!?!?! THIS IS TRAMPLING MY FREE SPEECH!!!

This is the tl;dr of all those alternative twitters.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Unlikely a human mod read your DM and banned you. If a post has been flagged by a lot of people as spammy and then you reshared it the auto-mod will flag your DM as spam. That's a problem of automation. Even if you protest and ask for your account to be restored the replies will come from automated responses.
I never posted to IG.

Reactions: Sedulous

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Chinese and Russian troll farms target Japan's politics. They both have territorial disputes with Japan. If their activities have been disabled it is temporary or because they are shifting their troll farm resources to other disputes such as Ukraine or the protests across China.
Your theory doesn't explain why many other country's trends were fixed at the same time.

Last edited:

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I think the only reason that third-party twitter apps like Tweetbot continue to work just now is that they've not hit Elon's radar yet because so few people use them.

Once somebody tells him that these third-party apps serve no ads, I imagine he'll either cut off access to the API, or he'll want to monetise these apps somehow.
That's what I'm worry about, LOL. I've also thought the same thing.

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
The left, while smiling smugly:
It's cool that Twitter bans, shadowbans and strikes people who don't dance to our tune. If you don't like it - Twitter is a private company. And so is Apple. So **** you trumpet.

Also the left:
NOOOOO! HOW DARE MUSK BUY IT? WHERE IS MY BLUE CHECKMARK????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO PAY TO GET ONE?!?!?! THIS IS TRAMPLING MY FREE SPEECH!!!

This is the tl;dr of all those alternative twitters.
For most people that joined Mastodon, nothing you wrote here is true.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I don't get the outrage over Twitter. Yes, Elon seems like he doesn't have a plan and is making lots of rash decisions. But from a content perspective, we each control what we see on our timelines. So if you don't like a certain account, smash that block button.
Honestly it's pretty simply. If he deals with bots and spam it'll be huge. But yes, if you don't like someone just block them. I get people sometimes on there arguing with things I never said and even outright lying directly to me (for what reason I don't know). If they really don't like Musk and hate Twitter then just delete the app. No point in complicating matters. For me it mostly works.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Juli Clover “Many Twitter users have been swapping over to Mastodon following the Twitter takeover by Elon Musk“.

Ha, ha. So many bloggers like Juli and reporters in the media are so mad that Musk, a man with a different political view from themselves, has bought Twitter that they’re trying so hard to coordinate a Twitter exodus revolution but the only ones going are themselves, only they haven’t actually left Twitter!

I think this was the first ❤️ I’ve given. What I agree with most is the distinction drawn between “bloggers” and “reporters in the media”. I scan the MR articles that interest me but will always read the original media article it is based on.

Reactions: Minxy

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've found Mastodon to be pretty great. The complicated bit is the concept that there are multiple servers you can choose from (Like choosing an email provider). If big companies start to host their own servers, I can see it working - i.e. the gmail/hotmail equivalents for Mastodon.

Other than that, its pretty much the same as other social media.
Same. Most of the people I follow have moved. Unfortunately it probably won't last forever, but without the mass of crypto bots/political bots, the quality of discussion on Mastodon has been like Twitter of old.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
It's not hard to understand the difference between algorithms pushing content to you and you choosing what to read yourself.

It is more complicated in practice, however.

While there is no good evidence media controls how readers think, media does have great control over what readers think about.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

100%. He's got a huge debt payment coming in April. Unless he does something to change course, I expect Twitter to file for bankruptcy by the end of 2023.

Regardless of anyones opinion on free speech (which is also BS as Musk's Twitter continues to ban people he personally doesn't like), moderation is what makes money (see TikTok). Advertisers don't want to advertise on 4chan. They prefer bland.

Musk will pitch a fit about free speech and censorship and look like a fool as it also means others are free to not associate with him. I initially thought he would come around once it became clear he was going to lose his investment, but I guess not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.