Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enlightened Doggo

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
This is great news! Distributed social networking is great technology which works today and the logical evolution of social networking. The idea of having one giant website controlled by a single entity that everyone in the world is supposed to use makes absolutely no sense at all.

Reactions: larryj and mrothroc

CPark98

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2016
Tried mastodon, I couldn't figure the damn thing out. As of now, it's a mess and as of now, I can't see it taking off without a clear purpose and a heavily reworked UI.

Enlightened Doggo

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
Mark me down as PRO “Nazi moderation”. Why? Well, if those people groom enough people into their cult, they will eventually kill us all. So the whole paradox of tolerance thing, yea. I know that’s sort of off topic, but since so many people on the right can’t comprehend this, it needs to be said. The holocaust didn’t happen overnight, eliminationist rhetoric is not free speech, it’s a genocidal threat, and it needs to be treated as such. Twitter was already a hot mess before Elon took over, but at least they banned some of the worst offenders that Elon has brought back.

The question I have is this, why are conservatives so hell bent on allowing Nazis to spread their venom on Twitter and elsewhere? Is it because they agree with them?

Now to the topic at hand, I keep hearing so much about Mastodon, what is it? And what does it mean to create your own server?
A lot of people want to be bigots on the internet and feel accepted for it rather than as the social outcasts they are. And they'll let anyone into their network that advances that goal. That's really all there is to it. But ruining Twitter won't get them invited back to Thanksgiving anymore than ruining Gab or 4chan did.

Reactions: Santiago

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
TweetBot, you could put yourself ahead of other "Mastodon clients" if you don't strictly limit yourself to Mastodon features and support features that non-Mastodon Fediverse front-ends support, such as quote-reposting (both displaying them and actually doing them).

(And also not calling posts "toots" and so on, FFS.)

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I've used Tweetbot for years on both iOS and Mac OS. I don't have to see any ads from Twitter, and the interface is much cleaner than the official Twitter app. On the few occasions where I've discovered a software glitch, Tapbots has been very responsive and I'm happy to pay for a reasonably priced subscription to support them.

I don't like "Ivory" as the name of this new Mastodon app. The ivory trade has decimated the elephant population.

Localcelebrity

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago, IL
I made a Mastodon account the other week so I could get a good username, but it seems like I made an account on some community server and I don’t understand how this works. My username is like a subdomain of the community and idk how to make a generic one that can be used anywhere. Like my username changes based on what server I’m on and I have to be approved for each one? Sounds really confusing.

I heard rumors there was a startup with solid funding with a real Twitter clone about to come out of stealth soon.

I think this is a pretty common experience and people just want simplicity and it’s holding Mastodon back.

That said, I don’t think the answer is another privately run, proprietary service. The funny part is I think Jack Dorsey is right that something like Twitter should be a public protocol just like email.

That’s essentially what Mastodon is though with ActivityPub.

But until someone comes along and makes the experience as conceptually smooth and simple as creating an email account it’s gonna languish.

I think someone like TapBots could make a big difference there.

Especially if they were to launch their own server that offered extra features/functionality and supported it with a nominal subscription fee and defaulted to that. Make the onboarding process easier for the mainstream.

They could still give users the option to choose a different third-party server and use the app for free but maybe don’t put it front and center, make it a power user option for those in the know.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I think this is a pretty common experience and people just want simplicity and it’s holding Mastodon back.

That said, I don’t think the answer is another privately run, proprietary service. The funny part is I think Jack Dorsey is right that something like Twitter should be a public protocol just like email.

That’s essentially what Mastodon is though with ActivityPub.

But until someone comes along and makes the experience as conceptually smooth and simple as creating an email account it’s gonna languish.

I think someone like TapBots could make a big difference there.

Especially if they were to launch their own server that offered extra features/functionality and supported it with a nominal subscription fee and defaulted to that. Make the onboarding process easier for the mainstream.

They could still give users the option to choose a different third-party server and use the app for free but maybe don’t put it front and center, make it a power user option for those in the know.

The irony is that email has come to be dominated by a few companies because it’s not easy to actually set up your own email either. And email federation itself is still a clunky mess that works most reliably when sticking with the major vendors.

Enlightened Doggo

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
The irony is that email has come to be dominated by a few companies because it’s not easy to actually set up your own email either. And email federation itself is still a clunky mess that works most reliably when sticking with the major vendors.
People that are mad about this for ideological reasons are vastly overstating the challenges of using the Fediverse. Self-hosting will always require some effort, but nobody is forcing you to self host anyways... Unless the kind of content you're posting is extreme.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I'm just here to point and laugh at weird nerds defending Elon Musk 🤣
Great contribution to the topic.

For more posts like that one, sign up for Mastodon where I'm sure it is full of them.

One singular hive mind blocking out any other opinion. Paradise for them.

And calling them nerds was an interesting choice of "insult".

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Heard about Mastodon for the first time yesterday and it seemed like a hot mess compared to Twitter.

It’s new and adjusting to a massive influx of users, but it’s very promising. The best part is it’s open source so it can never be purchased at the whim of a weird billionaire

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wish more effort would go towards updating Tweetbot.

I don't blame them for perhaps tapping the breaks there

The twitter future is unclear and I wouldn't want to touch anything right now that works with APIs, for fear it will break and not get fixed.

Also -- see below
Third party Twitter Apps that don't show ADs .... their days probably are numbered

Once somebody tells him that these third-party apps serve no ads, I imagine he'll either cut off access to the API, or he'll want to monetise these apps somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.