Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tapbots, the company behind the popular Tweetbot app designed for Twitter, is working on developing a new app called Ivory that integrates with the Mastodon social network.

mastodon-ivory-app-tapbots.jpg

Currently in beta testing, the Ivory app is in the early stages of development, with many features that still need to be implemented and bugs that need to be worked out, but it is a promising start.

Many Twitter users have been swapping over to Mastodon following the Twitter takeover by Elon Musk, and Mastodon has seen a major uptick in adoption over the past few weeks. The app now has over one million monthly active users, with roughly one half of those added since October.

Mastodon is a decentralized social network that allows for people to create their own servers, and it is more confusing to use than Twitter. The website and the app are not immediately familiar to Twitter users, but apps like Ivory could ease the transition for those who are leaving Twitter.

Ivory has a design that is quite similar to Tweetbot at the current time, offering access to a timeline, @ mentions, search, profile, and other options. There's also a dedicated compose button shaped like a horn, as posts on Mastodon are referred to as "toots."

It will be some time yet before Ivory is ready for a public release as a number of features like push notifications and lists are not yet implemented, but Tweetbot fans who have moved to Mastodon will be pleased to hear about the Tapbots project.

Article Link: Tweetbot Maker Tapbots Working on 'Ivory' Mastodon App

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The elephant in the room is pricing. Tweetbot costs $5.99/year, which isn't a bad price. But it may be to some when it is rarely updated.

Ideally, Tapbot would move toward bundled subscription pricing, with the same $5.99/year subscription covering both Tweetbot and Ivory.

SixColors2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2021

Tapbots, the company behind the popular Tweetbot app designed for Twitter, is working on developing a new app called Ivory that integrates with the Mastodon social network.

Currently in beta testing, the Ivory app is in the early stages of development, with many features that still need to be implemented and bugs that need to be worked out, but it is a promising start.

Many Twitter users have been swapping over to Mastodon following the Twitter takeover by Elon Musk, and Mastodon has seen a major uptick in adoption over the past few weeks. The app now has over one million monthly active users, with roughly one half of those added since October.

Mastodon is a decentralized social network that allows for people to create their own servers, and it is more confusing to use than Twitter. The website and the app are not immediately familiar to Twitter users, but apps like Ivory could ease the transition for those who are leaving Twitter.

Ivory has a design that is quite similar to Tweetbot at the current time, offering access to a timeline, @ mentions, search, profile, and other options. There's also a dedicated compose button shaped like a horn, as posts on Mastodon are referred to as "toots."

It will be some time yet before Ivory is ready for a public release as a number of features like push notifications and lists are not yet implemented, but Tweetbot fans who have moved to Mastodon will be pleased to hear about the Tapbots project.

Article Link: Tweetbot Maker Tapbots Working on 'Ivory' Mastodon A

Article Link: Tweetbot Maker Tapbots Working on 'Ivory' Mastodon App
Twitter has gotten far better since Elon took over.

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
This developer also made at least 4 versions of Tweetbot, charging for every new version. Couple little tweaks and cosmetics isn’t a valid reason to charge for a “new version” every time. Those are called updates.

I’m sure he’ll do the same for this. Won’t be supporting.

What’s Mastodon?

Last edited:

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Leftists who are mad that Twitter is no longer a vehicle for leftist censorship are so desperate to make Mastodon happen.

I'm left leaning, so don't bother trying to call me right wing for being able to see through the bs hate machine directed at Elon Musk just because he stopped the censorship.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Meh, this is just anti musk garbage. I expect more from Macrumors. Personally I don't want Apple censoring content. I'll hate Twitter once Musk gives me a reason. I see people flipping out about the 8 dollars check mark but they didn't even have one before. I'm curious how they will handle Trump, will they include community notes? Hopefully. All these people running around that the sky is falling should just chill and watch the sky fall. Either it falls in a glorious fire ball or nothing happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.