Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
@obeygiant if you're interested, the jazzy music from the gramophone in Senora Dido's scene is in David Lynch's album The Air is On Fire. This includes background noise! Its title is "VII. Interior", and it's available on Apple Music.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Are you guys still watching it?
After 11 episodes I am completely in love with this.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool

Hell yes! I'm blown away each episode. Lynch is so deliberate in the storytelling and how he approaches everything its fascinating.

I will confess I watch GoT before I watch TP on Sunday nights tho.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I follow it religiously, and I actually watch it before GoT. They both become available on HBO Nordic on Monday mornings, so thank heavens I decide my own working hours (Monday = TP, breakfast, GoT, lunch, then work).

My only gripe with TP is a certain type of scenes that feel like amateur improv. The most recent example would be the return of Audrey last week. It's as if it's not even scripted, but more like they were told something like "OK, Sherilyn, you're frustrated with Clark for some reason. Keep going for, I dunno, 10 minutes. And... action!"
Fenn: "Sorry David, I need more".
Lynch: "Cut! Oh, um... maybe you want a divorce. Yeah, talk about signing divorce papers. Also, feel free to drop these random names into the mix: Tina, Chuck, and... what names haven't we used yet? I know, Paul!"
Frost: "We already used Paul. The guy who went to the North Pole, remember?"
Lynch: "Meh, there can be two Pauls".
Frost: "OK David. Two Pauls. But no more Chads, Chets, Chucks, Chips, Harveys, Barneys, Bills, Billys and Willys, OK?"
Middleton: "What's my motivation then?"
Lynch: "Jeez, er... you're busy with, um, paperwork. And you're tired. So talk about that a lot. And... action!"

Then we get 10 minutes of akward babbling about how Chuck said Tina saw Billy but Billy has Chuck's truck but he doesn't and Tina knows so run it by Paul and talk to Tina and call Tina and gotta find Tina and Chuck and Billy. Oh, and Paul.

At the Roadhouse we got even more "namedropping improv". Hey, where's Angela? Maybe with Clark. But I saw Clark with Mary. Or was it Natalie? No, Trick was with Natalie and Mary was with Angela, no wait, Clark.

Oh well. I still love it, and the "pure heroin vision" stuff has actually been some of the best. I'd take another episode 8 any day. Got a light? TP The Return is actually fairly straightforward for Lynch, nowhere near as convoluted as Inland Empire or even Mulholland Drive. The Gordon/Albert dynamic is captivating, and I actually like Dougie "LoboCoop" Jones – I know a lot of people can't wait for him to go away, but I find him adorable. I just hope, with so few episodes left, that we won't get too much more of this first-name-Tourette's nonsense. It got old already in episode 1 with the confusion about Hank, Barney, Harvey and Chip.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How about Episode 13? I found it beautiful... especially the Roadhouse scene! I laughed and cried at the same time.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How did you guys like the finale?
As much as I hated some episodes of this season, I have to say the finale was amazing!

I loved the finale (both parts). I keep thinking about it. Very complex, very moving.
We need Season 4!!!

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
The finale seemed like episode 17. Episode 18 felt like a post-log
Or a the beginning of season 4....

Does it? I'm not sure. Depending on how you interpret the last hour (as always, of course), ...
if he really changed everything that has happened in Twin Peaks by killing BOB, and therefore prevented Laura from getting killed, it actually resolves a lot to me.
BUT, as I said, I'm not yet sure what actually happened, why he (maybe) woke up as "Richard" for example... so I could be wrong, but at least it still kinda makes sense to me lol :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Does it? I'm not sure. Depending on how you interpret the last hour (as always, of course), ...
if he really changed everything that has happened in Twin Peaks by killing BOB, and therefore prevented Laura from getting killed, it actually resolves a lot to me.
BUT, as I said, I'm not yet sure what actually happened, why he (maybe) woke up as "Richard" for example... so I could be wrong, but at least it still kinda makes sense to me lol :)

It is truly difficult to know what happened, however

Given how Laura/Carrie hears Sarah's scream, and how she reacts, I am lead to believe that Cooper made a huge mistake by trying to delete history. His goal was to reduce the pain he himself creating by letting the doppelganger out of the lodge in S2... but pain doesn't go away so he basically created a new plane of consciousness/

Amazing 18 hours.

Reactions: obeygiant

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread Revival

I just decided to rewatch the original series on Netflix. Just curious if this a continuation or a completely new story and ... if it’s any good? I’ve not read any of this thread.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Thanks. Can I assume it is a continuation of the same story telling style? I remember little about the original, just watched the original pilot. Thumbs up! :)

Oh, the story telling style is completely different - you either love it or hate it. It’s more like Lynch’s recent work, sometimes very strange and mystic, hence more like the second part of season two than the rest. Some episodes are really tough but I think it’s worth it. In my opinion it explains a lot that was still unsolved after the season two finale.

Reactions: yaxomoxay and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Twin Peaks The Original Series
I’m up to S1E4 where Laura Palmer is laid to rest, her nearly identical cousin arrives in town for the funeral, that Agent Cooper (ep3) confides in his method of interpreting his subconscious knowledge of the case (by throwing rocks at a bottle as suspect names are read to him) and with the quirky characters, stylized and moody environment, along with blatant over acting encouraged by the director, bordering on camp, I’m enjoying this, the second time through... so far. :)

I realized the original only lasted two seasons and what little I remember, got bizarre at the end of season 2, or was it the end of season 1? I’m enjoying all of the characters especially Leo, to his wife: If I ever find more than one brand of smoked cigarettes in this house when I come home, I’ll snap your neck like a twig. Yes, I realize this is a disgusting quote, but I’m waiting for this character to meet some Karma. ;) Please shield any spoilers if you reply. Thanks!

And I can’t imagine that any officers of the law were enamored with the show’s premise that police have an unhealthy relationship with donuts. ;)

0CFB46EE-B6CC-4235-BA69-0573B4144410.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Season 1, the investigation of the murder of Laura Palmer, and am enjoying it again! :)

The Season 1 Finale:
  • Jacque Renault- placed at scene of a party just before Laura died and potential witness, after being wounded during arrest, is murdered by Laura Palmer’s dad in the hospital.
  • Leo Johnson- primary suspect in Laura Palmer’s death, sets up a fire at the saw mill on behalf of Ben Horne in an insurance scam, then leaves his wife Shelly tied up there to burn to death because she shot him when he beat her up during a domestic argument. Later he is shot by Hank Jennings, (recently released from prison, involved in Andrew Packard’s death) as Johnson tries to kill Bobby Briggs, his wife’s lover, (Laura Palmer’s ex-boyfriend) with an axe.
  • James Hurley, Laura’s boyfriend is in trouble for some cocaine planted on his motorcycle by Bobby Briggs.
  • Audrey Horne looking for clues about Laura’s death, has infiltrated her Dad’s gambling joint and brothel North of the border, finds herself as the new hospitality girl being introduced to her father!
  • Dr. Jacobi, Laura Palmer’s psychiatrist, lands in the hospital with a heart attack, after he is assaulted by an unknown person, while being lured from his residence by James Hurley and Donna Hayward who thinks he knows something about Laura's death and want to search his apartment. There they find a tape.
  • Josie Packard, the Sheriff’s girlfriend, Korean wife of deceased Andrew Packard, and now owner of the Packard Sawmill, besides being in league with Ben Horne to burn down the sawmill, is revealed to be a conspirator in her husband’s death.
  • Catherine Martell, Andrew Packard’s sister, also planning on burning down the saw mill in a plan with Ben Horne is double crossed by Horne who is really working with Josie Packard. She is lured to the mill to either be caught in the fire, or to be blamed for it.
  • Agent Cooper, FBI agent in charge of the investigation, opens the door to his hotel room and is shot twice in the chest!

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Season 2:Ep 7 Lonely Souls-
Bob located!
Season 2:Ep 9 Arbitrary Law- Where’d he go? :eek:

Oh it’s so great that you discovered TP. Just be warned that the second half of the second season sucks. It’s bad bad bad. However the last episode will redeem everything as it’s one of the best things ever happened to TV.
[doublepost=1510949215][/doublepost]
Thread Revival

I just decided to rewatch the original series on Netflix. Just curious if this a continuation or a completely new story and ... if it’s any good? I’ve not read any of this thread.

Oh you have already watched it before. Well, good that you redescovered it. Let me know when you finish S2. There are a couple of things you absolutely need to know before you venture to S3 (no spoilers, I promise).
[doublepost=1510950120][/doublepost]
Oh, the story telling style is completely different - you either love it or hate it. It’s more like Lynch’s recent work, sometimes very strange and mystic, hence more like the second part of season two than the rest. Some episodes are really tough but I think it’s worth it. In my opinion it explains a lot that was still unsolved after the season two finale.

Agree with this assessment. It’s just different than anything else we have seen on TV. At times it’s incredible difficult to digest. Just the fact that TP3 is intended as a single 18-hour long movie changes the storytelling completely. The cliffhanger method is not really utilized which gives the impression that things are slowed down.
And just to tell you @Huntn, @obeygiant , and @Infinite Jest , I have done it: I have watched with a friend and my wife and my kids the whole 18 hours in a row. No pauses, no breaks. Just plenty of coffee, donuts, cherry pie and pizza.
It was insane, and it completely changed the perspective of the TP experience. Some of complaints say that TP3 is slow. I assure you, it’s not. After the third hour I was on my edge. Yes, it’s not Die Hard, but many things happen and many things are clearly connected. The flow becomes perfect, almost an opera. If you can, do it.

I seriously can’t watch any other series without feeling underwhelmed. Not TWd, not GOT, not criminal minds. Mindhunter is the only other series I really love now, and guess what? Its rythm is very similar to TP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and obeygiant

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh it’s so great that you discovered TP. Just be warned that the second half of the second season sucks. It’s bad bad bad. However the last episode will redeem everything as it’s one of the best things ever happened to TV.
[doublepost=1510949215][/doublepost]

Oh you have already watched it before. Well, good that you redescovered it. Let me know when you finish S2. There are a couple of things you absolutely need to know before you venture to S3 (no spoilers, I promise).
[doublepost=1510950120][/doublepost]

Agree with this assessment. It’s just different than anything else we have seen on TV. At times it’s incredible difficult to digest. Just the fact that TP3 is intended as a single 18-hour long movie changes the storytelling completely. The cliffhanger method is not really utilized which gives the impression that things are slowed down.
And just to tell you @Huntn, @obeygiant , and @Infinite Jest , I have done it: I have watched with a friend and my wife and my kids the whole 18 hours in a row. No pauses, no breaks. Just plenty of coffee, donuts, cherry pie and pizza.
It was insane, and it completely changed the perspective of the TP experience. Some of complaints say that TP3 is slow. I assure you, it’s not. After the third hour I was on my edge. Yes, it’s not Die Hard, but many things happen and many things are clearly connected. The flow becomes perfect, almost an opera. If you can, do it.

I seriously can’t watch any other series without feeling underwhelmed. Not TWd, not GOT, not criminal minds. Mindhunter is the only other series I really love now, and guess what? Its rythm is very similar to TP.
You see, I don't remember how sucky the last half of Season 2 is. :( Bob has fled the building and I'm waiting for him to come back cause... I don't remember. :( No spoilers please. So far the second season up to this point has been excellent. I understand S3 is on Showtime. How many episodes are there? I'll probably subscribe for one month to watch it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You see, I don't remember how sucky the last half of Season 2 is. :( Bob has fled the building and I'm waiting for him to come back cause... I don't remember. :( No spoilers please. So far the second season up to this point has been excellent. I understand S3 is on Showtime. How many episodes are there? I'll probably subscribe for one month to watch it.

Season 3 is 18 parts. However keep in mind that it’s not 18 episodes. It’s one single movie, about 18 hours long. It’s not meant to be separated in parts. Once you see it, you’ll understand why it’s key.
Also be sure to watch FWWM (possibly twice) and TMP before watching TP3. I also suggest that you watch Lynch’s Eraserhead, although it’s not “mandatory”.
I wouldn’t subscribe. Blu ray boxet is coming out in a couple of weeks and it’s not that expensive. Reason I suggest this is that sounds and video quality are pivotal for TP3’s plot. (Yep)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.