Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
1) Show speed limit when not in an active route.

It is absurd that I have to have an active route to show the speed limit. Is the problem that the programmer put the "display speed limit" code in the Routing module and no one can be bothered to move it out of Routing?

2) Show my current speed.

They know the speed we are going. We know they know the speed we are going. They know we know they know the speed we are going, so just show it right under the speed limit!

Edit - Your speedometer may not be as accurate as you think - https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15136801/speedometer-scandal/

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yes you need to go ahead and raise it for Apple to be aware. I’m sure you know this anyway but I will just say this that Apple don’t officially monitor these forums. Good luck with your feature request. However, this is Apple, and they are unlikely to do anything in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: missingar

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Yes you need to go ahead and raise it for Apple to be aware. I’m sure you know this anyway but I will just say this that Apple don’t officially monitor these forums. Good luck with your feature request. However, this is Apple, and they are unlikely to do anything in my opinion.

Yeah, which was the bitching end of it.

I felt better after posting it. In fact I still feel better.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
No. 1, yes and no. Have I driven on a road and wonder what's the speed limit? Absolutely. The cities streets here are pretty well marked either on a post or on the ground for speed limit.

No. 2. I rather have my car tells me the current speed over the iOS software (via GPS calculation).

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
No. 1, yes and no. Have I driven on a road and wonder what's the speed limit? Absolutely. The cities streets here are pretty well marked either on a post or on the ground for speed limit.

No. 2. I rather have my car tells me the current speed over the iOS software (via GPS calculation).
1. I can see this may vary by area. Do you have the speed limit turned off?

2. An audio indication that you are exceeding the speed limit would be nice.

Reactions: missingar

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

It is absurd that I have to have an active route to show the speed limit. Is the problem that the programmer put the "display speed limit" code in the Routing module and no one can be bothered to move it out of Routing?

They know the speed we are going. We know they know the speed we are going. They know we know they know the speed we are going, so just show it right under the speed limit!
1. Not gonna happen. Too many resources, may be offline maps could be a solution.
2. Your car should have one. For alerting over speed limit, and cop around get a radar detector. Waze is hit and miss.
IMHO you need much more than a phone for your requirements. May be those dedicated GPS devices/radar detectors.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Waze has both... one of the many reasons that I prefer Waze over Apple Maps and Google Maps.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
1. I can see this may vary by area. Do you have the speed limit turned off?

2. An audio indication that you are exceeding the speed limit would be nice.
I left all the default on including compass and speed limit but mute all the turn-by-turn announcements. Some cars will automatically alert the drivers if the car went above the speed limit. However I turned that feature off immediately. Once I am in the car, I subconsciously look for any speed trap or speed camera.

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
1. Not gonna happen. Too many resources, may be offline maps could be a solution.
2. Your car should have one. For alerting over speed limit, and cop around get a radar detector. Waze is hit and miss.
IMHO you need much more than a phone for your requirements. May be those dedicated GPS devices/radar detectors.

1. Why is it too many resources if it can do it during a route?

Waze has both of these things now.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
1. Why is it too many resources if it can do it during a route?

Waze has both of these things now.
Waze is ok, compared to a radar detector. Cops also use Waze, easy to fool speeders.
1. Why would the maps load every street speed limit, for millions of users unless it is needed as part of a route. The Apple/Google servers will crash if they download huge amounts of data for every street. It may work for offline maps, if the data is downloaded.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Waze is ok, compared to a radar detector. Cops also use Waze, easy to fool speeders.
1. Why would the maps load every street speed limit, for millions of users unless it is needed as part of a route. The Apple/Google servers will crash if they download huge amounts of data for every street. It may work for offline maps, if the data is downloaded.
I do not see why you think this is an insurmountable ask

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Number 1 seems reasonable. I often look at the speed limit when navigating to see what the limit is when there are no signs around. It hadn’t occurred to me that it would only show up when routing. That seems silly.

As to number 2, that seems more problematic. I’d expect one or more of you Americans to sue Apple when they get a ticket for speeding making one or more claims about the displayed speed. I haven’t used something like it before, but it doesn’t seem like it would be as accurate a speedometer.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Number 1 seems reasonable. I often look at the speed limit when navigating to see what the limit is when there are no signs around. It hadn’t occurred to me that it would only show up when routing. That seems silly.

As to number 2, that seems more problematic. I’d expect one or more of you Americans to sue Apple when they get a ticket for speeding making one or more claims about the displayed speed. I haven’t used something like it before, but it doesn’t seem like it would be as accurate a speedometer.
As I stated above, Waze does this (displays speed limit and displays current vehicle speed). In my very unscientific observation, the current speed displayed in Waze is remarkably accurate. I have also tested this when riding with my wife driving... again, it's quite accurate. There's no reason that Apple cannot do it, as well, the potential for a lawsuit against Apple notwithstanding.

Reactions: WP31 and missingar

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Are you saying they should remove the speed limit info altogether?

They might as well, as in France it is quite inaccurate. This is mostly due to roadworks and other temporary events. To improve things, either Apple need to gauge an average speed of all cars with iPhones driving through a certain road area (as they already do for traffic analysis), or regularly drive their own Apple cars all over the country quite regularly. I would imagine that the first solution would be a way smarter, but hey.

So, after repeatedly trying Apple’s speed limit feature and having to correct it in my head on the go (a totally unnecessary distraction), I just ended up switching it off. Keeping a glance on road signs & speedometer works way smoother for me.

On the positive note, I do find AM routing way better than Waze, as the latter tries to get you to a destination as fast as possible, not factoring in the route’s convenience or associated stress.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
After trying Waze tonight I can see now how having your current speed and the speed limit are both helpful. Being able to adjust the speeding threshold amount and whether to turn off audio alerts can limit some of the distractions, but also help in case you happen to be speeding at the moment and don't realize it. The current speed was surprisingly accurate in the small rural town I live in.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Are you saying they should remove the speed limit info altogether?
Speed limit info is often wrong.

I also think that it’s kind of wild to suggest that looking at a computer screen while driving is reducing distractions

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023

The GPS speed is more accurate than your car’s speedometer.

Couldn’t us lawsuit-happy Americans sue if Apple showed the wrong speed limit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.