Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Doubtful that this will be a real solution for the mainstream. How long has the Apple car key been a thing, with only a few models of a few brands using it? The "next version. of CarPlay" will require even deeper integration with the instrument cluster/infotainment system... I don't really see that happening, at least not any time soon.

Again, Waze has been doing this for years... there is no valid reason (beyond stubbornness on Apple's part) for them not implementing it in Apple Maps.
Hey hey, give Apple a break. They change one line of code and the whole OS implodes on them lol.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Not really, I'm sure there's some legalese in there about it being accurate and obeying posted limits and the ones in the apps are just suggestions.

There's a local road near me that they adjusted the speed limit - the 35mph used to be 55mph, and they moved the speed reduction up by about a mile. So my Garmin GPS devices and Apple Maps would have me speeding for a mile!

They can't update them super fast, updates take time. It's a nice to have to see the speed limit, but honestly it behooves the driver to keep an eye on the actual posted speed limits.

Heck, half of the neighborhood streets around me don't even show their speed limits in Apple Maps at all, and I'm in a fairly large tech city...

EDIT: That said, I would love having the speed limits more prominently visible - they are still useful, and I would absolutely love to have a speedometer built in somewhere as an option as well. My 31 year old car does have a functioning speedometer but sometimes I am curious how accurate it is hah
I think for me a large part of it is just that there are times I turn onto a road and there’s not a speed limit sign for like 10 miles but Apple Maps has it and is correct but like you mentioned, there are also times where speed limit signs change or are incorrect in Apple Maps and competitors so it definitely has some benefits but at the same time like yeah, you really really need to be looking at the speed limit signs too

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Just got my new car, and CarPlay is only wired, so I don't bother to use it.

I can stream calls through the bluetooth connection, I listen to radio, and the sat nav in the car is good enough for me.

I don't want to be distracted with notifications of texts etc. anyway, whilst driving.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012

I can stream calls through the bluetooth connection, I listen to radio, and the sat nav in the car is good enough for me.

I don't want to be distracted with notifications of texts etc. anyway, whilst driving.
It’s actually a lot better than you think and it purposefully stops you from being able to read or type messages. Notifications are minimal and there’s no delay like Bluetooth with better sound (sent over wifi and not Bluetooth). Anyway most functions are done through Siri and it’s actually really well made. I got an adapter that lets me do wireless carplay and it works fantastic.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

May be all well and good until the maps become outdated and the dealer wants $200 for map updates.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
It’s actually a lot better than you think and it purposefully stops you from being able to read or type messages. Notifications are minimal and there’s no delay like Bluetooth with better sound (sent over wifi and not Bluetooth). Anyway most functions are done through Siri and it’s actually really well made. I got an adapter that lets me do wireless carplay and it works fantastic.

Thanks for the link.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Speed limit isnt shown in your main display near your speedometer or tachometer?
Current speed is what’s on you speedometer readout display.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
May be all well and good until the maps become outdated and the dealer wants $200 for map updates.

I wish car manufacturers would just admit that they suck at this stuff. My Honda's built in speed limit display is commonly incorrect. I find that it's slow to react to changes in my driving environment - if I exit the freeway it'll still show the 70mph limit for a minute or two while I'm driving down a 25mph street. It drives me nuts - incorrect data is *worse* than no data at all. If I have to pay attention to the speed limit signs anyway, what's the use of the technology?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018

I just put that adapter in my Amazon basket (UK.)

Can you please give a little mini review? Is it “set it and forget it?” Does it work fast, and flawlessly? Anything else you think I might need to know?

Thanks in advance.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012

Can you please give a little mini review? Is it “set it and forget it?” Does it work fast, and flawlessly? Anything else you think I might need to know?

Thanks in advance.
So it’s a small box like the size of the top of a soda can. It plugs in and your car will ask if you wanna use car play. Just say yes. It’ll show a CarPlay icon and a Bluetooth name. Connect to it via Bluetooth and wait on your phone. It’ll ask about a pairing code and then it’ll ask about CarPlay just pair and yes to CarPlay. From then on every time your car turns on it’ll auto connect. When you first start the car to the time it connects is maybe 10 seconds, but it is extremely responsive. I'd say it's on par with the RAV4 wireless CarPlay because I got to use that when I was renting one on vacation and it was extremely responsive too. It feels native.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Thanks in advance.

Not to be "that guy", but I've tried a number of these devices... they work great when they work... but so far, I've not found one that worked more than a week or two. They run hot, and after a while, fail to connect at all. Of course, YMMV.

And there's a 325-page thread on the topic and the plethora of devices here:

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Not to be "that guy", but I've tried a number of these devices... they work great when they work... but so far, I've not found one that worked more than a week or two. They run hot, and after a while, fail to connect at all. Of course, YMMV.

And there's a 325-page thread on the topic and the plethora of devices here:
Wow, well thanks for the link! I did a lot of research on them and some of them had loads of complaints. I got the one I linked too a few months ago. 17 beta 1 and 2 did have trouble auto connecting but beta 3 hasn’t. I’ve had it for 3 month with no complaints. As you mentioned though ymmv. I did get a more expensive one than some of the popular models available. Anyway, love my 2020 legacy with the wireless adapter.

Just a tip though, if you only have usb a I’d use a USB a to USB C cable because it sometimes loses connection with the included adapter if I hit it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wow, well thanks for the link! I did a lot of research on them and some of them had loads of complaints. I got the one I linked too a few months ago. 17 beta 1 and 2 did have trouble auto connecting but beta 3 hasn’t. I’ve had it for 3 month with no complaints. As you mentioned though ymmv. I did get a more expensive one than some of the popular models available. Anyway, love my 2020 legacy with the wireless adapter.

Just a tip though, if you only have usb a I’d use a USB a to USB C cable because it sometimes loses connection with the included adapter if I hit it.
Which one do you have? I've tried 2 or 3 versions of Carlinkit... and one other that I cannot remember the name of.

Again, I have to say that they were pure magic when they worked... if only...

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Which one do you have? I've tried 2 or 3 versions of Carlinkit... and one other that I cannot remember the name of.

Again, I have to say that they were pure magic when they worked... if only...

I saw the one that you mentioned, but it never got good reviews. People complained about the delay or it being unreliable so I gave this one a shot and it worked great still works great.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I saw the one that you mentioned, but it never got good reviews. People complained about the delay or it being unreliable so I gave this one a shot and it worked great still works great.
Thanks... just ordered it to check it out... can always return it if it fails...

UPDATE: The adapter just arrived... setup was a snap... now, the question will be whether it continues to work beyond a week or two... #fingerscrossed #hopeful

Last edited:

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
The GPS speed is more accurate than your car’s speedometer.

Couldn’t us lawsuit-happy Americans sue if Apple showed the wrong speed limit?
Car speedos show a higher speed by design. Your car takes your speed from the rotational speed of your wheels, so many factors influence this. Tyre wear, bearing wear, road surface, heat, tyre model, wheel damage....the list goes on.

GPS works through satellite triangulation, so it's very different, and yes, a lot more accurate, and they are controlled by the US military. You will get nowhere if you want to sue somebody regarding some inaccurate GPS reporting.

I mean, it's up to you if you would like to sue the US Military. Good luck with that one!!!

Reactions: snash22

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
1. I can see this may vary by area. Do you have the speed limit turned off?

2. An audio indication that you are exceeding the speed limit would be nice.
Waze does all this. Why not just use that? It's not only better than Apple maps, you get better traffic and incident reporting too.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks... just ordered it to check it out... can always return it if it fails...

UPDATE: The adapter just arrived... setup was a snap... now, the question will be whether it continues to work beyond a week or two... #fingerscrossed #hopeful
Definitely let me know because I just lent mine to a coworker to try out and he might get his own so it’d be nice to know if I just got lucky.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Oh god I remember that. You’d have to drop your car at the dealership and pay like $350 to update maps that are still wrong, are hard to use, and the routing says to take a right on that 4 wheeler trail and continue straight until you hit the tree.

Those built in car maps were awful in Maine. I purposefully don’t get cars with built in nav systems because why should I pay to have Maps updated when I have a perfectly good device that gets real-time updates from three different mapping companies? I’m thinking google, waze, and Apple.

snash22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Waze does all this. Why not just use that? It's not only better than Apple maps, you get better traffic and incident reporting too.
Trying to stay in the Apple ecosystem and I like the privacy/google avoidance.

Apple Maps can be better, so why not push them to be better?

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Trying to stay in the Apple ecosystem and I like the privacy/google avoidance.

Apple Maps can be better, so why not push them to be better?
Fair enough, but your best bet is to raise this on the Apple forums and write directly to the Apple Maps product teams.

Personally, I gave up on privacy. My car tracks me (built in 4G SIM with BMW), my debit and credit cards track me, so do my store cards, my wife... 🤣

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Because Waze will send you off through weird or unsafe routing to possibly save a minute on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.