Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The United States Justice Department is in the early stages of crafting an antitrust complaint against Apple, reports Politico. A source that spoke to the site described the lawsuit as "potential," indicating that the DOJ's plans are not yet finalized.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Desaturated.jpg

Prosecutors within the DOJ are said to be "assembling the pieces" for a lawsuit that could be filed by the end of the year, but the decision has not yet been made as to when. It's also possible that no lawsuit will ultimately be filed at all.

The U.S. government launched an antitrust investigation into Apple back in 2019, making inquiries about Apple's policies surrounding the App Store, third-party apps, repairs, and more. The DOJ has spent time speaking with Apple critics that include Spotify, Epic Games, Match Group, Basecamp, and Tile, all of whom have expressed unhappiness with Apple's App Store policies.

The investigation was part of a deeper probe into tech companies that include Amazon, Facebook, and Google in addition to Apple, and it has thus far resulted in proposed antitrust legislation that could result in major changes in the tech industry. The Open App Markets Act, for example, would allow for alternative app stores and alternative in-app payment systems, which Apple wants to avoid.

Back in October, The Information said that the Department of Justice was accelerating its antitrust probe into Apple, with a "flurry" of activity and new subpoenas sent to Apple business partners. Politico says that the case is likely to extend beyond Apple's App Store policies, with the DOJ also exploring whether Apple's control over its devices harms product manufacturers like Tile.

Antitrust lawsuits have already been launched against Facebook and Google.

Article Link: U.S. Department of Justice in 'Early Stages' of Drafting Possible Antitrust Lawsuit Against Apple

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple should preemptively:
  • Reduce the App Store fee to 15% flat.
  • Allow every developers to use external in-app-purchase and subscription through their API, further reducing their fee to 10%.
  • Provide more analytics to developers, with direct support and refund options.
  • Allow apps to be installed outside the App Store, but through a scheme similar to Apple Developer Enterprise Program. If necessary, further restrictions to apps installed outside the App Store, perhaps every options in Privacy & Security settings (e.g., Camera/Photos, Health, HomeKit, Contacts, etc.)

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
  • Allow every developers to use external in-app-purchase and subscription through their API, further reducing their fee to 10%.
  • Allow apps to be installed outside the App Store, but through a scheme similar to Apple Developer Enterprise Program. If necessary, further restrictions to apps installed outside the App Store, perhaps every options in Privacy & Security settings (e.g., Camera/Photos, Health, HomeKit, Contacts, etc.)
I dont think it will matter. This witch-hunt is not actually about accomplishing anything, it’s about making statements and appeasing the squeaky wheels.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I wonder if they'll use the same argument as they use for civil asset forfeiture.

"Your honor, Apple makes so much money that it must be doing something illegal."
"Do you have any evidence to support that?"
"No, your honor. We just believe that there is no other rational explanation. When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Besides, their competitors say they did it, and they have no reason to lie."
"You make a convincing argument. Defendant is found guilty.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Hell no! We want none of that! The U.S. Government will lose! Apple's Wall Garden is it's biggest strength, by definition it is not a Monopoly! Bring it on!

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
Remember, everyone: when alternative app stores are inevitably allowed on iOS, you can still use the Apple App Store.
At what security cost though? The fact that they'd have to make this a possibility inherently makes iOS less secure.

I don't see why people want this so bad anyways. It'll fail miserably. 99.5% of people won't be bothered to use another app store. So these alternatives will try for a while then give up the ghost.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Remember, everyone: when alternative app stores are inevitably allowed on iOS, you can still use the Apple App Store.
Not as effectively as we can now. Epic will purchase exclusivity rights to apps, this is a given. Popular apps will move out of the App Store to bypass the privacy policies in place. Right now I have a choice between a complete walled garden and an open system (Android). If this happens, I will no longer have this choice.

Unless someone can point me to a law or rule that states any and ALL iOS apps must ALSO be on the App Store, this will break the walled garden.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Until popular apps get removed from the App Store... and are put into their own stores or downloaded from the developer's website.

You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Remember... Meta lost $10 billion when Apple introduced all their new privacy changes.

I imagine Meta's apps will be full of tracking if people can just download apps from their store or website.

That's what people are worried about.

😲

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
At what security cost though? The fact that they'd have to make this a possibility inherently makes iOS less secure.

I don't see why people want this so bad anyways. It'll fail miserably. 99.5% of people won't be bothered to use another app store. So these alternatives will try for a while then give up the ghost.

Letting consumers use non-Apple chargers and cables is a "safety" risk as well. Let customers choose.

If certain apps are banned from the App Store for political reasons, sideloading will help.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Until your favorite apps get removed from the App Store... and are put into their own stores or downloaded from the developer's website.

You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Remember... Meta lost $10 billion when Apple introduced all their new privacy changes.

I imagine Meta's apps will be full of tracking if people can just download apps from their store or website.

That's what people are worried about.
Agreed. Could we get an answer please as to WHO is asking for this? Android allows this and only a very very very VERY small percentage actually side load.

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
Letting consumers use non-Apple chargers and cables is a "safety" risk as well. Let customers choose.

If certain apps are banned from the App Store for political reasons, sideloading will help.
Right, but the fact that 3rd party chargers exist has no effect on my phone if I choose not to use them.

The fact that they would have to change the way iOS works to allow 3rd party app stores makes the phone less secure. That has an effect on my phone, whether or not I choose to use the 3rd party offering.

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Remember, everyone: when grandma gets her personal information stolen because she installed shoddy apps thanks to an ad, it will be the fault of people like the quoted user here.
Which leads to my contact information getting out leading to scams and spams.

This is why email is so horrible. I had family members get hacked which leaked their address book and that SAME DAY I got a 10x uptick in my spam emails.

Its like people here never heard of Zombie systems before which is why spam emails are so common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.