Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Apple will pass any lost revenue from such changes on to us. No worries shareholders.
Yeah it's not like any penalty they make Apple pay will be distributed to developers or customers.

So if Apple loses the suit, the government gets their share, and the developers will keep the same prices (it's not like they will discount everything if their fees are lowered, instead, they will keep increasing prices and move things to subscription model).

And the customers will pay for everything.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Apple should preemptively:
  • Reduce the App Store fee to 15% flat.
  • Allow every developers to use external in-app-purchase and subscription through their API, further reducing their fee to 10%.
  • Provide more analytics to developers, with direct support and refund options.
  • Allow apps to be installed outside the App Store, but through a scheme similar to Apple Developer Enterprise Program. If necessary, further restrictions to apps installed outside the App Store, perhaps every options in Privacy & Security settings (e.g., Camera/Photos, Health, HomeKit, Contacts, etc.)
And build in support for RCS.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Remember, everyone: when grandma gets her personal information stolen because she installed shoddy apps thanks to an ad, it will be the fault of people like the quoted user here.
Grandma is not going to have any idea how to install the 3rd party store.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Prosecutors within the DOJ are said to be "assembling the pieces" for a lawsuit that could be filed by the end of the year, but the decision has not yet been made as to when. It's also possible that no lawsuit will ultimately be filed at all.
Yep its possible this is just smoke without substance as said.

Reactions: wilhoitm

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Eww no. RCS is trash
It's better than using something made in 1990. I want to be able to send HQ media to/from my Android friends and family and its appalling (although obvious why) Apple wont give us a better experience here.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
As many posters write. You won’t have the choice, because the big app developers will pull their apps.

There are plenty of alternatives to those apps. For example, I don't have to use WhatsApp because there are over a billion users on WeChat. If consumers are concerned about security, they can stay on the App Store and developers will follow those consumers for the ad revenue.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Right, but the fact that 3rd party charges exist has no effect on my phone if I choose not to use them.

The fact that they would have to change the way iOS works to allow 3rd party app stores makes the phone less secure. That has an effect on my phone, whether or not I choose to use the 3rd party offering.

Why is that? Apple could dual-track and create a separate version of iOS that allows third-party app stores.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Until popular apps get removed from the App Store... and are put into their own stores or downloaded from the developer's website.

You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Remember... Meta lost $10 billion when Apple introduced all their new privacy changes.

I imagine Meta's apps will be full of tracking if people can just download apps from their store or website.

That's what people are worried about.

😲
Well then it happens. Your (and others) chicken little "sky is falling" fear falls flat on its face when you look at MacOS for the last near on 30 years.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well then it happens. Your (and others) chicken little "sky is falling" fear falls flat on its face when you look at MacOS for the last near on 30 years.
I have had to deal with family members macs being infected. Just like Windows.

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Remember, everyone: when alternative app stores are inevitably allowed on iOS, you can still use the Apple App Store.
Maybe not. Apple does not have to provide APIs for others. Maybe they never should have. It’s not worth it.

Reactions: farmboy

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
This is NOT a reason to take away consumer choice. There will always be stupid people who do stupid things.
It certainly is a reason to charge for it. Or simply not offer that service. After all, consumer choice is a two-way street.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Right, but the fact that 3rd party charges exist has no effect on my phone if I choose not to use them.

The fact that they would have to change the way iOS works to allow 3rd party app stores makes the phone less secure. That has an effect on my phone, whether or not I choose to use the 3rd party offering.
I get what you're saying, but given how Apple has made it safe to download things on the Mac from outside of the App Store, I'd bet that they have something figured out for iOS. That said, I'm not totally convinced that multiple App Stores on iOS would be a fun experience if certain apps were to move out and one had no choice but to use them in certain cases. But who knows, in this case, it may just be the threat of other app stores will be used to convince Apple to roll back some of their policies that even they knew weren't sustainable forever.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Meanwhile, our tax dollars are being abused with this tomfoolery. Govt just cannot stay in its lane- they need to reach, and overreach in every corner.
When you have companies making wild claims and publications making it seem real, the start filing lawsuits and investigations which is their job. That is a lot different than politicians using their power to attack companies they don’t like because they don’t fawn after them. The ones that are cool as long as they pay and support them 100%. Stray and not agree with a move for get the millions donated, there will be hell to pay. How dare you!!! There’s that.

Reactions: tigres

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Grandma is not going to have any idea how to install the 3rd party store.
That is part of the argument to not allow this. Because Grandma will not know what she did to get a 3rd party App store on her phone. She will also not know what's going on with her phone if she becomes a victim of any type of phishing "click here for help" text, or apps that pops up on her screen. (more than likely, as not all grandmas are technologically inept).

Reactions: jjack50

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
Apple should preemptively:
  • Reduce the App Store fee to 15% flat.
  • Allow every developers to use external in-app-purchase and subscription through their API, further reducing their fee to 10%.
  • Provide more analytics to developers, with direct support and refund options.
  • Allow apps to be installed outside the App Store, but through a scheme similar to Apple Developer Enterprise Program. If necessary, further restrictions to apps installed outside the App Store, perhaps every options in Privacy & Security settings (e.g., Camera/Photos, Health, HomeKit, Contacts, etc.)
Agree with most of what you said, but allowing third party app store will be disaster for users.
I am concerned that iOS app store will turn into Mac App store.
No one will develop and publish apps in iOS.
So we have to install apps from third party app stores we don't trust.
How do i know what kind of information they are accessing ?
What if third party app stores don't follow Apple guidelines for privacy ?

Reactions: unsertwegen

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I have had to deal with family members macs being infected. Just like Windows.
And? As I said it happens. We've been buying apps and others things on/for our Macs since forever. Yes an occasional anecdotal incident happens but we don't shut down an entire avenue of commerce because someone has been inconvenienced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.