Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Nice platitude, but that's really got nothing to do with this.

Apple could have done well and not acted like a monopoly
They aren't a monopoly. There are other tablet and phone makers with other operating systems. People are free to choose which ones they like.

free enterprise and capitalism are supposed to prevail in a free-market society.
This is correct, and this is what has happened. You've contradicted yourself here. You're arguing for the government to intervene which is the opposite of this statement.

As owners of iPad Pros and Airs with M1 SoCs that could run full out apps but have been limited by Apple, we have been sold a raw deal.
Bull. You knew exactly how it functioned when you were buying it and it does exactly that. Just because you buy a supercar that can go 200+ MPH doesn't mean that you've been sold a raw deal when the speed limit is 55.

I think we have full rights to install apps from wherever we want using the overpriced SoCs that are reduced to paperweights with Apple’s current strategy of marketing the brand and privacy.
The M1 is not a paperweight. Even if it's not being used to 100% of it's potential in an iPad, it's still doing exactly as it was designed and marketed. If you don't like what they're offering, seek out an alternative.

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
So much for all the security the government insisted on a decade ago.

Remember when the bid deal with the Apple iPhone was how kids would get a game and keep hitting a button for adding bonuses to the game. Then the parents get a thousand dollar bill form Apple. All of the security features added to iOS to prevent that, is in the payment system that they are now gripping about.

And

The singe App store was Apple's attempt to prevent viruses in iOS. Well I guess all that security is going out the window as people start downloading pre-infected apps from third parties now.

The end result of this is going to be a boom for viral protection and other security related apps. Not to mention how much money the people making bad apps will rake in.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
While I have not personally ever had to deal with a family or friends Mac actually being infected with anything (malware, Virus, trojan, etc.). I can attest to the fact that most if not all actually thought they were infected with something slowing down their computer.

When in fact it was almost always their hard disk was full or darn near it. And or they had applications not properly removed.
I have been in IT since 97 and I have never found a virus on a Mac (Since it went to OS X, I found a few in classic OS), I found Trojans and cookies or something in a email. Never a virus that penetrated the system.

Reactions: djphat2000

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Would you rather the money you pay for an application go towards further development of the application or to maintaining a store?

Most of the money does go to the developer. Apple keeps 15% or 30%... which gives the developer 85% or 70% of the sticker price.

And if a developer can't pay their mortgage because Apple is stealing 30%... it doesn't automatically mean they would be able to pay their mortgage if there wasn't a commission fee. There are always fees and costs of doing business.

Remember... ALL stores take a cut. You have to be aware of that before you decide to sell anything anywhere.

Let's see Wrangler try to sell jeans in Walmart without Walmart getting some sort of a cut. And isn't retail wholesale/retail markup around 50%? That would mean Wrangler only gets $10 on a $20 pair of jeans if this is true. Yikes!

Hell... Google takes 45% of the ad revenue on Youtube. And Google doesn't even help you make your videos!

At least Apple gives you the tools to build your apps.

:p

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
Right, but the fact that 3rd party chargers exist has no effect on my phone if I choose not to use them.

The reason Apple did that is a Israeli company made a device that was able to force its way into the data on the iPhone. For security reasons Apple made the iPhone refuse to work with a non-Apple charger and cable for a while.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Remember, everyone: when grandma gets her personal information stolen because she installed shoddy apps thanks to an ad, it will be the fault of people like the quoted user here.
You actually know tech illiterate people who can install their own apps? That tops all of the ones I know :(

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Why would they? This strawman comes up all the time and it always gets shot down and deservedly so.

I can go anywhere and get games for my PS, Xbox, Nintendo devices. I have multiple avenues to get games.

On an iOS device, where can I go?
You might be able to get physical copies elsewhere, but they are all filtered through Sony in exorbitant devkit fees, taking their cut on top of the seller's cut, etc. And no, GameStop used games do not count since the original buyer is ripped off on their trade.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Sideloading, it’s coming to the US too, not only to the EU.
🤣 Told ya!

1661550033217.gif

PS: Don’t forget the bipartisan bill that is rolling on top of that.

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
She was certainly able to install 10 toolbars in Internet Explorer.
In reality, it doesn't matter. You can't protect everyone from stupid people. We will end up living wrapped in bubble wrap
Not when the apps you used to get through the App Store disappear from there.
Then we can use other apps. Even Facebook will be replaced in the future, and so will Twitter, that's just how it is
Developers don't owe you their app if they want to move it. And you don't need to use their app.

• Love
Reactions: LD517

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
And then deal with all the support headaches and lawsuits? Ha!

Apple will already be facing a lawsuit from the government. 😄

As a $2.5T company, they can afford to hire some support staff to deal with headaches, trust me.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Most apps in the App Store are already loaded with “data-stealing code” as you call it, and they go through Apple’s “review” process just fine.

I can hear all the “privacy” and “security” arguments, but at the end it is a financial issue for Apple, that’s what they really care about.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Most apps in the App Store are already loaded with “data-stealing code” as you call it, and they go through Apple’s “review” process just fine.

I can hear all the “privacy” and “security” arguments, but at the end it is a financial issue for Apple, that’s what they really care about.

It's a financial issue for Meta, too.

Like I said... Meta lost $10 billion after Apple made a bunch of privacy changes.

So I'm sure Meta is eagerly waiting for the chance to have people download their apps from a different store or website that is disconnected from Apple altogether.

The reason developers want 3rd-party app stores and sideloading is so they don't have to follow Apple's rules.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
High chance the lawsuit never actually gets passed due to the current state of congress.

I don’t think Apple execs are losing sleep over this.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
High chance the lawsuit never actually gets passed due to the current state of congress.

I don’t think Apple execs are losing sleep over this.
Get's passed? Congress doesn't vote on antitrust lawsuits. The DoJ brings charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.