Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Until popular apps get removed from the App Store... and are put into their own stores or downloaded from the developer's website.

You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Remember... Meta lost $10 billion when Apple introduced all their new privacy changes.

I imagine Meta's apps will be full of tracking if people can just download apps from their store or website.

That's what people are worried about.

😲

Digital Markets Act (DMA), also consists of a provision that any company, including Apple, cannot steal user's data or combine data collected from two different services belonging to the same company. Apple's advertising identifier, that spans across the device may become illegal perhaps, as it allows combining data across the entire device? Not sure about the last one though.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So are they going to go after Sony also? The PlayStation especially if you got the digital edition model cannot get games from other than the Playstation store. The only codes available outside of the playstation store card to put money on your playstation wallet to then buy games at whatever price Sony has the games at rather than other stores or websites.
Sony is getting sued for 5.9 billion right now due to this.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have been in IT since 97 and I have never found a virus on a Mac (Since it went to OS X, I found a few in classic OS), I found Trojans and cookies or something in a email. Never a virus that penetrated the system.
It is quite rare for Windows to get true viruses either. That is why it changed to malware. I have seen MANY malware in the last 10+ years, but zero viruses.

Reactions: Wildkraut

Admiralbison

macrumors regular
May 23, 2021
Remember, everyone: when grandma gets her personal information stolen because she installed shoddy apps thanks to an ad, it will be the fault of people like the quoted user here.
What a load.

Apple is concerned about Security, security, security to excuse their monopolistic AND anti-consumer business practices.

let’s stop BSing ourselves worrying about our tech savvy Grandmas’ installing Shoddy apps while completely ignoring the decades people have been using the comparatively far more open Macs + MacOS.

Apple can only delay these anti-trust measures by lobbying$$$ corporate Democrats and Republicans, in the meantime they can spare us the “security and privacy“ marketing while Macs exist and they snoop around people’s photos stored in their cloud servers.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yep, so you will still be able to choose to only download apps in the Apple App Store.

It will be perfect for you, as you will assume that any developer avoiding the App Store is thus avoiding the privacy walls.

It will be perfect for me, because I can download whatever the hell I want, without Apple nannying me.

Everyone will be happy. (except you, because people like me having a choice will still make you angry).
AH we are back to the "just don't download apps not on the store" argument again. How about don't download side-loaded apps so we can keep our walled garden? This is literally "I WANT MY WAY!!!!" attitude. Apps WILL leave the App Store thus FORCING US to go outside the walled garden.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Agreed. Could we get an answer please as to WHO is asking for this? Android allows this and only a very very very VERY small percentage actually side load.

All the people who want system-wide adblockers have to sideload. I do not know how many people actually use system-wide adblocking. Hint: It's not a very very very small percentage.

But it's on mobile devices where ad blocking is really increasing, doubling over the last five years, from 282 million to 586 million at the end of 2020, according to the 2021 PageFair Adblock Report from ad tech firm Blockthrough. That's a 10% increase over the 2020 PageFair report on ad blocking.

This is just one use-case on Android for sideloading. There are several others.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Apple is concerned about Security, security, security to excuse their monopolistic AND anti-consumer business practices.
That is a load of bull.

Monopoly? Android exists. Not only that, as a developer I am not forced to even make a mobile app!
Anti-consumer practices? Name some......One store is the most consumer oriented thing they could do. It is easy, as safe as it can be (there will ALWAYS be issues), for ANY app issues I deal with Apple not dozens of developer support people from India, etc.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
All the people who want system-wide adblockers have to sideload. I do not know how many people actually use system-wide adblocking. Hint: It's not a very very very small percentage.

But it's on mobile devices where ad blocking is really increasing, doubling over the last five years, from 282 million to 586 million at the end of 2020, according to the 2021 PageFair Adblock Report from ad tech firm Blockthrough. That's a 10% increase over the 2020 PageFair report on ad blocking.

This is just one use-case on Android for sideloading. There are several others.
Nothing in that article says they are side-loading. Adblock Plus is on the Google Play store.....

Brave browser also blocks ads. I have it on iOS and iPadOS and I did not need to side load to get Brave browser.

Last edited:

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Not as effectively as we can now. Epic will purchase exclusivity rights to apps, this is a given. Popular apps will move out of the App Store to bypass the privacy policies in place. Right now I have a choice between a complete walled garden and an open system (Android). If this happens, I will no longer have this choice.

Unless someone can point me to a law or rule that states any and ALL iOS apps must ALSO be on the App Store, this will break the walled garden.

Until popular apps get removed from the App Store... and are put into their own stores or downloaded from the developer's website.

You can bet Meta will immediately put Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp in their own store... so they could put all sorts of data-stealing code in their apps since they don't have to be checked by Apple's App Review anymore.

Remember... Meta lost $10 billion when Apple introduced all their new privacy changes.

I imagine Meta's apps will be full of tracking if people can just download apps from their store or website.

That's what people are worried about.

😲
This is exactly what I see happening :(

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
AH we are back to the "just don't download apps not on the store" argument again. How about don't download side-loaded apps so we can keep our walled garden? This is literally "I WANT MY WAY!!!!" attitude. Apps WILL leave the App Store thus FORCING US to go outside the walled garden.
If they leave, then it’s because the Apple AppStore sucks and better alternative exists for both sides, for dev and customers. That’s how a competitive healthy market works.

Reactions: LD517

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
This is exactly what I see happening :(
Take Affinity as example, they have their Apps everywhere, it works.

Just don’t use Facebook and make a phone call, or write SMS, or use Signal. People who uses Facebook knows they are after their data, everybody knows that, it’s no secret anymore, they already sold their souls to the devil anyway.

I never had a Facebook account, there is life outside it, it works, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: LD517

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
If they leave, then it’s because the Apple AppStore sucks and better alternative exists for both sides, for dev and customers. That’s how a competitive healthy market works.
No not really. Epic buys up exclusives on the PC side, but Steam on PC does not "suck". Epic has stated they want their own store on iOS. And the way the handle it on the PC side, we will be seeing popular games leave App Store to be Epic Store exclusives. Epic dips in their deep pockets and makes it more difficult for the consumer.

Reactions: 1Mark

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
No not really. Epic buys up exclusives on the PC side, but Steam on PC does not "suck". Epic has stated they want their own store on iOS. And the way the handle it on the PC side, we will be seeing popular games leave App Store to be Epic Store exclusives. Epic dips in their deep pockets and makes it more difficult for the consumer.
And Steam is still the better Store. I have them all installed, MS, Epic, Steam, GOG, a healthy competition, also iTunes but it has no games.

The same does Apple with Apple Arcade to enforce subscriptions, I just name Jetpack Joyride the latest addition. They took a game title away (again) with $$$ and want to force me into something that is worse and I don’t want. Good that I’m not a Jetpack Joyride fan, take this just as a example.

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
And Steam is still the better Store. I have them all installed, MS, Epic, Steam, GOG, a healthy competition, also iTunes but it has no games.

The same does Apple with Apple Arcade to enforce subscriptions, I just name Jetpack Joyride the latest addition. They took a game title away (again) with $$$ and want to force me into something that is worse and I don’t want. Good that I’m not a Jetpack Joyride fan, take this just as a example.
Well it’s just that when Apple does something like that, it’s good. When other companies do it, it’s bad. You see?

Reactions: LD517 and Wildkraut

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Such code was and is in their apps today:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/12/facebook-bug-camera-background-access/
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/25/tiktok-clipboard-access-ios-14-caught/
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/08/18/felix-krause-in-app-browser-javascript-tool/

Reviewed and approved by Apple "for your security and privacy".
They obviously didn't and don't need sideloading to do it.

As many posters write. You won’t have the choice, because the big app developers will pull their apps.
You will have the choice not to use those developer's apps then.
You will have the choice to use other developer's apps.

There's half a dozen to dozens of dozens of viable choices for any kind of app. Much more than there is in mobile operating systems - to counter the argument that people should "use Android if you don't like it".

Last edited:

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Really simple. Apple can allow other App stores, but there is zero reason that HAVE to allow them to use all the capabilities of the phone. Sandbox it. No photo access, Contacts, FaceID or anything in fact. You get a screen, internet connection and touch.

They could drop the fee to 15% for everyone… but then they’ll still complain. I remember the bad old days where I had to Market, store, distribute and manage my software sales… and in the badder, older days when I had to get Physical media printed and copied and shipped. And retailer cut - that’s 40% straight off 30% is nothing For an ecosystem and potential clients!!! I was lucky to get TAKE HOME 40%… And then get taxed on that!

Load of moaning old ladies want everything for free.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Such code was and is in their apps today:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/12/facebook-bug-camera-background-access/
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/25/tiktok-clipboard-access-ios-14-caught/
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/08/18/felix-krause-in-app-browser-javascript-tool/

Reviewed and approved by Apple "for your security and privacy".
They obviously didn't and don't need sideloading to do it.

You will have the choice not to use those developer's apps then.
You will have the choice to use other developer's apps.

There's half a dozen to dozens of dozens of viable choices for any kind of app. Much more than there is in mobile operating systems - to counter the argument that people should "use Android if you don't like it".

The problem is WE agree to allow access to the Camera / Clipboard when you install the app… It’s all there in the download page for tik tok and facebook.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Really simple. Apple can allow other App stores, but there is zero reason that HAVE to allow them to use all the capabilities of the phone.
Yes, there is very good reason. Kneecapping other apps by withholding basic functionality and data access from them is anticompetitive - exactly what's being investigated.

This is going to do zero to satisfy or even placate antitrust investigators and legislators (and rightly so).
I remember the bad old days where I had to Market, store, distribute and manage my software sales… and in the badder, older days when I had to get Physical media printed and copied and shipped. And retailer cut - that’s 40% straight off 30% is nothing
We're not living in the olden days of software distribution on physical media anymore.
The problem is WE agree to allow access to the Camera / Clipboard when you install the app
Agree on this one.

Privacy will only be effectively safeguarded by user choice - and that choice being respected by vendors and and enforced by a secure OS. Not by Apple's current review process.

Reactions: seek3r

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Personally I lean strongly Libertarian so I’m for free markets but antitrust laws have been federal law in the US for about 100 years and I haven’t heard very many people complain about them. The fact that I may have disagreed with what was done to AT&T and IBM doesn’t change the fact that it was done and it gave opportunities to companies like Apple and Microsoft to become giants themselves and essentially replace them so I’m not going to shed a tear when their turn comes around.
The gubment machine will do what it does (and doesn’t and should). But it will be what it will be. Big companies are needed to move the economy. The government is making sure that doesn’t happen.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I work in IT. I know the difference between a full hard drive vs a malicious software that got installed. Macs DO have malware you know.
Same, for 22 years (and counting).

I do understand the difference. Just stating, I've never experienced any one (myself included) with actual malware on a Mac. Even when someone asked me to look at their computer because they believed (falsely) they had malware. Most of the time, it was just a full drive. Or, over use of applications they don't really use, starting up and taking up memory and CPU resources. People just like to download stuff I suppose. Every time (so far), I just clean up what's on the desktop (people dump EVERYTHING on the desktop). Stop the apps (mainly delete them) from starting up at login. Run disk utility to make sure the drive is OK. Reboot, and they fine again. Back to the snappy.

Not saying it doesn't exist. Just saying out of dozens of macs I've used and helped over the years (obviously I work mostly on PC/Servers/Networks/etc. Only a few Macs at my company at present. Over the years, we have had them all since G4's). I haven't seen 1 piece of malware on a Mac. You pretty much have to put in on their yourself. I've personally been on a Mac since the late 90's. Never encountered any.

YMMV

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Nothing in that article says they are side-loading. Adblock Plus is on the Google Play store.....

Brave browser also blocks ads. I have it on iOS and iPadOS and I did not need to side load to get Brave browser.
Can you provide a link for AdBlock plus on PlayStore. I cannot find it. In any case, as I said, AdBlock plus is a browser adblocker. I am talking about system-wide adblocker such as Blokada and block-this. They are non-root adblockers that are available as APKs only or through alternate stores such as F-Droid. To use them, one has to sideload. There is no other option. I have already stated that I do not know the percentage of people who are using system-wide adblock. For example, the paid version of Blokada has 100,000 plus installs. The free version has to be installed via apk. You can estimate how many installations it has. There are many such apps.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah it's not like any penalty they make Apple pay will be distributed to developers or customers.

So if Apple loses the suit, the government gets their share, and the developers will keep the same prices (it's not like they will discount everything if their fees are lowered, instead, they will keep increasing prices and move things to subscription model).

And the customers will pay for everything.
Do you really think Apple isn’t already charging the very most they think they can get?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.