Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since me side loading apps doesn't affect your device in any way I'd already be leaving you alone! Stop being so selfish
Here's an analogy. It's like putting a garbage dump behind a building. Some people may be bothered, some people may not be....but having a garbage dump in back of a building has a rippling negative effect. In other words, your need to want to have Apple change (or be forced) to change, doesn't trump my need to not have it changed.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Days of the yuuuuge companies are coming to an end. These big companies cant be trusted and force users to obey by their walled-garden rules.
No one’s forcing anyone. You don’t have to be in the walled garden if you don’t want to be. No one will kill you if you don’t buy an iPhone or develop for it. Everyone has the freedom to not if they don’t like the perfectly reasonable requirements Apple sets for their own creation.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Since me side loading apps doesn't affect your device in any way I'd already be leaving you alone! Stop being so selfish
You are the selfish one demanding Apple change things just because you want something. Apple has no interest in enabling side loading. If you want it get an Android. It’s simple.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Days of the yuuuuge companies are coming to an end. These big companies cant be trusted and force users to obey by their walled-garden rules.
No user is forced to buy an Apple device. If you don’t like walled gardens buy an Android. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Reactions: I7guy

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
with all this "anti-trust" and  misleadings,
should i use my Dell XPS 13" on these forms
until this conflict get swashed away?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Here's an analogy. It's like putting a garbage dump behind a building.
but the garbage *bin didn't sit there forever and gets get emptied weekly,
sometimes bi-weekly!

*wow what a bad typo, sound like me was trashing ol' biden!

Last edited:

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Go AG Garland! Do Google, Amazon, and Facebook as well. Hit them all. Hard. Same with the major telecoms too. Title II!
You do realize that there are no winners in this and that we the users will be the losers. 99.99999999999% of people do not what side loading is nor would do so if they knew about it. The same percentage likes a single company to have their credit card and billing info and to accept all payments. Refunds and subscription cancellations are easy to start and complete.

With alternative billing you have to give up all your info and I can guarantee quitting will not be a click or two. Most likely there will be phone calls to sit through and people trying to convince you not to quit.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
I would really be great if the iPhone were as open as the Mac. Apple could not cry abot "security" without admitting the Mac was insecure. (which it is not)

But I doubt Apple has much to worry about because they don't even have the majority of the cell phone market, Still it would be nice to have a phone as open as a Mac.
It would also be nice if:
  • The phone was free
  • All apps were free
  • Everyone had unlimited funds
  • No more war
  • No more starving
  • No criminals trying to break into your devices to steal your personal and financial info
  • The list goes on
Reminds me of my father-in-law who wants a new truck, but the Ford has everything he wants except feature "X" which is on the Dodge. He does not want the Dodge because he only drives Fords. The phone is what it is so you take it or leave it.

Reactions: Krizoitz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Or maybe the days of the huge private banks and crooked politicians are coming to an end? These big banks can’t be trusted and force users to pay insurmountable “global debt” which is impossible to pay.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You do realize that there are no winners in this and that we the users will be the losers. 99.99999999999% of people do not what side loading is nor would do so if they knew about it. The same percentage likes a single company to have their credit card and billing info and to accept all payments. Refunds and subscription cancellations are easy to start and complete.

With alternative billing you have to give up all your info and I can guarantee quitting will not be a click or two. Most likely there will be phone calls to sit through and people trying to convince you not to quit.
Then don’t do business with those kind of garbage companies in the first place.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Good. Apple has a stranglehold over iOS that is LONG overdue for antitrust scrutiny & legislative action. Apple's monopoly needs to end
What monopoly? What stranglehold?

Don't like what Apple is doing with their products, to wit the symbiotic pair of iPhone and iOS? You're free to choose many other options, starting at https://www.android.com and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/ .

Not unusual for a business, who makes a hardware/software symbiote product, to resist end users doing things that screw up product behavior and persuade customers to unduly complain about the manufacturer. Having been a very long-time Microsoft adherent, I'm very happy (and all-in) about how Apple curates the walled garden - and know full well the costs of going to a plethora of alternatives (yes, including DIY).

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.