Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It’s there product, if you don’t like the restrictions use something else.
Agreed. If you don’t like how Apple is restricting your abilities to download whatever apps you want on your $799 iPhone 13, Google would be happy to sell you a similar phone for $599 that lets you install whatever you want.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The NY Post wrote a true story about Hunter Biden. The tech media spiked it.

You can hide "stories" but you can't hide crimes.

There's the media... and there's the Halls of Justice.

Whether or not he committed an actual crime, he’s a scumbag who cheated on his wife with his dead brother’s widow.

I know another guy who cheated on his wife... and he had to pay a hefty sum of money after trying to cover it up. I think it was $130,000

But I think we're getting off topic. ;)

Thank you.

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Bagging on "Big Tech" and Apple especially is very popular politically right now.

Notice who nobody dares to touch?

The telecoms. AT&T, Comcast etc. are far more of a monopoly than Facebook or Google ever will be, and yet they are not only invulnerable and invisible, we have to keep pouring millions and millions of tax dollars into them, to continue having garbage internet.
This x 100

Reactions: huge_apple_fangirl

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Agreed. If you don’t like how Apple is restricting your abilities to download whatever apps you want on your $799 iPhone 13, Google would be happy to sell you a similar phone for $599 that lets you install whatever you want.
Exactly, you have the freedom to use something else.

• Haha
Reactions: q64ceo

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I'd be fine with it yeah, but MacOS is not iOS and it's annoying how people keep trying to combine the two of them together. They are separate for a reason. Just because Apple does something with one of them doesn't mean they will or should do it with the other.
I was pleasantry surprise I can play my silly iOS game on my new MacBook Pro 13" M1. Maybe someone should tell Apple this? 🤔😄

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It’s well known that the PRC can say or do whatever they want. Eddy Cue even infamously said that one of Apple’s core rules is never criticize the PRC.
If you think that has anything to do with politics at all, you're crazy. It's solely to do with being able to do business there.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I would really be great if the iPhone were as open as the Mac. Apple could not cry abot "security" without admitting the Mac was insecure. (which it is not)

But I doubt Apple has much to worry about because they don't even have the majority of the cell phone market, Still it would be nice to have a phone as open as a Mac.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Depends who's is office determines which companies are targeted. Democrats have no reason to go after Facebook as they are on their side. If (when) republicans are back in office they will target social networks that have a perceived liberal agenda.
Republicans benefit from Facebook. Their only complaint has been more recent, when the propaganda chief was blocked.

cbaca51

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
Cali
All these old boomers who don’t know a damn thing think they know every damn thing about technology.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Depends who's is office determines which companies are targeted. Democrats have no reason to go after Facebook as they are on their side. If (when) republicans are back in office they will target social networks that have a perceived liberal agenda.
Except the facts disagree with you and demonstrate that Facebook, Twitter, Goggle, etc. actively allowed Republicans to ignore their policies and actively promoted content that was beneficial to Republicans. There is no perceived liberal agenda there is an ACTUAL conservative agenda.

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
If Hunter Biden committed actual crimes... you better believe someone would investigate.

How many Republican Congress and Senate members are ex-lawyers? Hundreds?

Any of them could make a phone call to their local DA and open a case.

The fact that they haven't... really says something.

It sounds like the Hunter Biden story is a Fox News talking point... with no real merit behind it. But I dunno.

I've heard a lot of people say things about Hunter Biden. But I haven't seen anyone do anything about Hunter Biden.
You’re wrong. A prosecutor can only charge things under their purview. A city prosecutor cannot prosecute a felony, for example. In my state felonies are at the county prosecutor level. So a DA cannot prosecute someone for a federal crime. Only a federal prosecutor can do that, and those are part of the executive branch. It would literally need Garland/Biden’s approval to move forward. So the only scenario where it does is when a special prosecutor is appointed to avoid the huge conflict of interest, which requires congress… which is controlled by democrats.

Reactions: PC_tech

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
That's your choice but your fear of what may happen doesn't trump what I should be able to do with my phone
You can do whatever you want with your phone. That doesn’t mean Apple should be forced to help you. You don’t have a right to a phone that meets all your demands, none of us do. If you don’t like what Apple offers you are free to buy from one of its many competitors. Samsung, Google, LG, etc.

SummerDayz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Good. Apple has a stranglehold over iOS that is LONG overdue for antitrust scrutiny & legislative action. Apple's monopoly needs to end
Apple don’t have any monopoly! Want Monopoly check out android! They are on almost every single smart phone and pushed out windows phones…with apple you only get iOS and the iOS is ONLY for apple

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You’re wrong. A prosecutor can only charge things under their purview. A city prosecutor cannot prosecute a felony, for example. In my state felonies are at the county prosecutor level. So a DA cannot prosecute someone for a federal crime. Only a federal prosecutor can do that, and those are part of the executive branch. It would literally need Garland/Biden’s approval to move forward. So the only scenario where it does is when a special prosecutor is appointed to avoid the huge conflict of interest, which requires congress… which is controlled by democrats.

Yeah ok... I'm not a law expert, clearly. :)

My point was... Hunter Biden's name always pops up as a Republican talking point. If the guy did something wrong... then go get him.

Otherwise... I don't want to hear about him.

:p

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yeah ok... I'm not a law expert, clearly. :)

My point was... Hunter Biden's name always pops up as a Republican talking point. If the guy did something wrong... then go get him.

Otherwise... I don't want to hear about him.

:p
During the debate (or debacle) last year Trump questioned Biden's son actions to his face.
Joe looked away and the moderator scorned Don for interrupting.

If any one watch "Succession" season 2 there was a senate hearing which was a circus.
But the Waystar and the Roys won, because some senator took a cruise and enjoy the experience.
if this episode goes there, some  watch wearing senator will praise  and the case will be over.

until the right to repair rears it's ugly head

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Good. Apple has a stranglehold over iOS that is LONG overdue for antitrust scrutiny & legislative action. Apple's monopoly needs to end
Font let the door hit yo on the ass on your way out.
I LIKE the walled garden. I wouldn't go Andoid because it isn't safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.