Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Of course the Epic case will have an impact on whether the DOJ pursues a case. Apple was declared "not" a monopoly in a court of law. That sets back anything the DOJ will try to bring forward
Stop saying Apple was declared not a monopoly, the judge made no such decision.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
The iPhone is Apple’s product. It’s not up to anyone else to crack it open and fiddle around with it and make users unsafe.

Sony had a global monopoly with the Walkman and nobody took action on them. They also become one of the big players in the video and film industry. Where are they now? Something better came along and they couldn’t compete in the portable space.

If the Justice Department want to do something serious they should be using all their resources against unregulated ponzi scams and manipulated markets that are making some very dangerous and extremist people rich and they will use their wealth to finance terrorist white supremacists, mafias and coup d’etat wherever they reach.
No, Sony didn't have a monopoly on Walkman, you guys just like coming up with ANYTHING to defend Apple, ick!

Reactions: KindJamz

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
No, Sony didn't have a monopoly on Walkman, you guys just like coming up with ANYTHING to defend Apple, ick!
Walkman was a Sony brand. Nobody else could manufacture a Walkman without a license.

What everyone could else could make were portable cassette players, which people called a walkman though it was nothing of the sort.

Has nothing to do with Apple though.

Reactions: KindJamz

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
It's funny how Republicans/Conservatives always complain about liberal bias or being silenced...

And yet we keep hearing from them. There is tons of R/C material being spread across the internet RIGHT NOW. And always has been. Facebook is FULL of right-wing stuff.

They'll also say "we're being silenced!" while sitting in front of a camera being broadcast to millions of TVs. And that video clip will be distributed on, guess what, social media.

If Facebook is liberal... why do I keep seeing conservative posts shared by my family members?

Answer: Conservative posts are the top-performers on Facebook.

:p
A year ago? ?????

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Walkman was a Sony brand. Nobody else could manufacture a Walkman without a license.

What everyone could else could make were portable cassette players, which people called a walkman though it was nothing of the sort.

It was a CASSETTE PLAYER, Sony wasn't the ONLY ONE, and Walkman was the brand name, not sure why you think they would license it out.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
It looks pretty much the same today. Facebooks biggest pages have always been right-wing media. You can verify this for yourself very easily instead of acting incredulous.
Except it isn't the same and to say different is disingenuous.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

yep, Sony (whom i worked for 1985-1987) owned the name "walkman"
aiwa, panasonic, toshiba, and other electronic companies makes portable cassette players.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
Right. Imagine any other area where you literally was forced to purchase from one single company because of the town you lived in.

"Oh, sorry, in this town you can only purchase and drive Ford and the Ford you can buy is half the speed and twice the price".

Yup. For internet, I only have 1 option. My town won’t allow Verizon, for example, to install fiber in my area.

Reactions: jagernator

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The DOJ has spoken with Apple critics that include Spotify, Match Group, Basecamp, and Tile, all companies unhappy with Apple's App Store policies and control.

These guys again?

Spotify, in particular, started to rely less on in-app purchases SIX YEARS AGO. Link

They asked existing customers to switch to direct payments instead of in-app payments. And eventually you couldn't subscribe in-app at all... completely avoiding Apple's cut.

And they became the largest music streaming service in the world... by a considerable margin.

Is Spotify still being harmed by the App Store?

I don't have an opinion about Basecamp. I seem to recall their CEO is quite a character, though.

Match Group has their own "monopolistic" tendencies. Don't they pretty much own ALL the dating services? Investigate them! Break them up!

I've heard lots of people complain about Tile for years. Apparently Tile didn't keep up. Then Apple comes along and builds their own platform solutions... and now Tile cares.

Last edited:

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
The DOJ is very misguided on this issue. It seemingly cannot even recognize an easy anti-trust case against Google's search and Facebook's platform and instead look at Apple for policies that are indistingushable from policies that have been in place for decades by major brick and mortar retailers who make vendors play to play all the time. It is actually a disgrace and an abhorrent waste of taxpayer money. The federal government should be ashamed if this case is pursued.
I'm so glad YOU think the government is misguided, I don't believe it's them that's the misguided ones.

• Disagree

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
What, so the government can crack open and break a secure and fair eco system - Um no thank you. If you want the Wild West and your data in a leaky sieve, migrate to Android. Leave Apples model the hell alone. I and many others choose iOS because it is a closed, safe, private, secure and tightly run Ecosystem; that is the appeal.
That's your choice but your fear of what may happen doesn't trump what I should be able to do with my phone

Last edited:
Reactions: PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.