Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
facebook made 9 billion dollars so far this year.
that tax (if 33%) should cover every middle classes fed and other taxes in those united states this year.

but why is the DOJ going after  for monopoly now?
hmmmmmm

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
To expand on that, smartphones are now a phone, messaging device, GPS, camera, music player, radio, notebook, etc. for many people, so there are lots of opportunities for the mobile platform owners to use a strength in one area to act anticompetitively in another area.
Video game platforms are more than just a video game console these days too. Same thing can be said for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Saipher

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Did they?

I definitely remember other brands of portable cassette players when I was a kid. I had some of them.

And they could play tapes from any manufacturer. I could record a tape on my Sharp home stereo and play it back in my JVC portable or my Sanyo boombox.

:p
It's not the same - for instance.. can you play an Xbox game on a PS?

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
DOJ needs to fix Apple forcing 3rd party browsers through WebKit instead of their own Google Blink, Firefox Gecko, etc. engines on iOS/iPadOS. That's worse than Microsoft's Internet Explorer antitrust violation.
Apple opposing Chromium is literally pro-competition. They're the only ones left other than Firefox (which doesn't have much market power). Google has used its search and YouTube dominance to cripple non-Chromium browsers (like Edge) and Apple is the only ones fighting back. Before you force Apple to accept Blink, stop Google from monopolizing Web standards.

Reactions: jagernator

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Stop whining. Let DOJ do their job. That's what we are paying them for.
more on that miscosoft hack story:
The Biden administration downplayed Microsoft's announcement. A U.S. government official briefed on the issue who insisted on anonymity to discuss the government's response noted that "the activities described were unsophisticated password spray and phishing, run-of-the mill operations for the purpose of surveillance that we already know are attempted every day by Russia and other foreign governments."
from a website

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Video game platforms are more than just a video game console these days too. Same thing can be said for them.
No, it's totally not the same. It's one console per household vs one phone per a person (excluding small children). Also, a lot of things nowadays (for example, configuring wireless router, deposing a check etc.) require smart phone. Nothing requires game console.

Reactions: PC_tech

Ebarella

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I'd be fine with it yeah, but MacOS is not iOS and it's annoying how people keep trying to combine the two of them together. They are separate for a reason. Just because Apple does something with one of them doesn't mean they will or should do it with the other.
This isn't 2007 anymore. Just see how many companies intentionally cripple the desktop experience (reddit, instagram, banks) in an attempt to move users into mobile. They do it because they don't like the freedom of a desktop environment

I think the fact that this is happening is a reason to open mobile operating systems more. If Google or Apple don't like it that way, they should stop pushing Android and iOS as computer replacements

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
Bagging on "Big Tech" and Apple especially is very popular politically right now.

Notice who nobody dares to touch?

The telecoms. AT&T, Comcast etc. are far more of a monopoly than Facebook or Google ever will be, and yet they are not only invulnerable and invisible, we have to keep pouring millions and millions of tax dollars into them, to continue having garbage internet.

briko

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
If Facebook is liberal... why do I keep seeing conservative posts shared by my family members?

If Facebook is showing you conservative posts, it's probably because Facebook figured out conservative posts make you angry.

That's how Facebook works.

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
This isn't 2007 anymore. Just see how many companies intentionally cripple the desktop experience (reddit, instagram, banks) in an attempt to move users into mobile. They do it because they don't like the freedom of a desktop environment

I think the fact that this is happening is a reason to open mobile operating systems more. If Google or Apple don't like it that way, they should stop pushing Android and iOS as computer replacements
I think a much simpler answer is that people are just moving away from computers and companies target what people actually use.

The thing that those of us who grew up as computer nerds always misunderstood is that we thought everyone would want a computer. But most people don't.

What people wanted was a device that could do some specific things online. And a phone does that for most average people, so they use that and not a computer.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Bagging on "Big Tech" and Apple especially is very popular politically right now.

The telecoms. AT&T, Comcast etc. are far more of a monopoly than Facebook or Google ever will be, and yet they are not only invulnerable and invisible, we have to keep pouring millions and millions of tax dollars into them, to continue having garbage internet.

Exactly.

I'd much rather have more choices for ISPs in my area... than be concerned with which types of articles Facebook promotes with their "algorithm"

Or maybe the government should focus more on bigger issues like healthcare instead of social networks.

Break up big-tech? Sure.

But first break up big-pharma and big-insurance.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If Facebook is showing you conservative posts, it's probably because Facebook figured out conservative posts make you angry.

That's how Facebook works.

And that was my point.

"Facebook" isn't liberal or conservative. It simply tailors the experience depending on who is viewing.

Like I said... there is A LOT of conservative material on Facebook... so they clearly aren't being silenced.

It was a response to someone who said Republicans might target social networks that have a perceived liberal agenda.

As you've shown... you get what YOU want to see (or don't want to see)... according to the algorithm.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
What, so the government can crack open and break a secure and fair eco system - Um no thank you. If you want the Wild West and your data in a leaky sieve, migrate to Android. Leave Apples model the hell alone. I and many others choose iOS because it is a closed, safe, private, secure and tightly run Ecosystem; that is the appeal.
Yeah….. Apple blew that perception with the CSAM debacle.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
So the Biden administration is going after everything that protects are privacy, think about that.

Here, I’ll make nice and easy for you, just in case you didn’t read the article. 👇🏻

Apple has been under investigation by the DOJ for two years now, and the probe is part of a broad investigation that has seen the Justice Department looking into Apple, Google, Facebook, and Amazon.

The Biden administration started on January 20, 2021. It hasn’t even been a year yet, in case you didn’t know.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

excellent observation,
they allow those 24/7 spam calls and everyone knows that was a major issue years ago.
and they advertise big time and will never get a bad review on the media news spots
i guess they seem to support fully now, along with the pharm industry.

Runequester

macrumors regular
May 24, 2021
excellent observation,
they allow those 24/7 spam calls and everyone knows that was a major issue years ago.
and they advertise big time and will never get a bad review on the media news spots
i guess they seem to support fully now, along with the pharm industry.

Right. Imagine any other area where you literally was forced to purchase from one single company because of the town you lived in.

"Oh, sorry, in this town you can only purchase and drive Ford and the Ford you can buy is half the speed and twice the price".

Reactions: MBAir2010

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Video games and media streaming are about the only things they’re used for. No matter how you want to frame it, consoles have a far narrower set of use cases and a much smaller user base.

briko

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
And that was my point.

"Facebook" isn't liberal or conservative. It simply tailors the experience depending on who is viewing.

Like I said... there is A LOT of conservative material on Facebook... so they clearly aren't being silenced.

It was a response to someone who said Republicans might target social networks that have a perceived liberal agenda.

As you've shown... you get what YOU want to see... according to the algorithm.
Perhaps it was the way you worded it, or the way I read it. But to me, your original post was suggesting that facebook could not be liberal because conservative posts are performing highly on the platform. I'm not convinced you can deduce that from this evidence.

On the flip side, one could argue that conservative posts performing well is actually evidence that facebook *is* liberal, especially when you take into account how they rank engagement.

Edit: If your point really is that ""Facebook" isn't liberal or conservative. It simply tailors the experience depending on who is viewing" then I'd say you and I agree. In my opinion, your first post could be interpreted that you were trying to make a different point. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.