Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Not even a hard case ... although the case against Google is even easier.
To be fair, such investigations probably take considerable amount of time to get underway, and this whistleblower leak happened less than a month ago, IIRC.

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Honest question.
Other than having physical game media, what is so different between video game consoles' online stores vs Apple's AppStore? ?
I can't sideload a game on the Nintendo Switch or Sony PS4 without using homebrew firmware, which is similar to jailbreaking an iPhone. Maybe the difference is about the in-app purchase?
I came here specifically to ask this exact thing. What is the difference between Apple’s App Store and Nintendo’s eShop? Sony’s PlayStation store? I can’t “side load” stuff on my Switch and if I did it would be hacking it. Why do people want to hack their iPhones so badly?

Reactions: B4U

Seend1983

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
The DOJ has spoken with Apple critics that include Spotify, Match Group, Basecamp, and Tile, all companies unhappy with Apple's App Store policies and control.

These are all Apple's competitors. Since when do we implicate a business for anti-competitive behavior based on the opinions of the business's direct competitors? You can hardly say these are impartial and unbiased opinions, especially when these competitors are on the losing side of the competition in the name of which they're using to launch their assault on Apple.

The DOJ is not pro-consumer. They are anti-Apple and pro-Apple-competitors.

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
To be fair, such investigations probably take considerable amount of time to get underway, and this whistleblower leak happened less than a month ago, IIRC.
The case against Facebook has been strong for a long time because it's a presumed monopoly due to its market power. The revelations simply make the case even easier because it reveals actual evidence. Anyway, any case against Apple, in comparison, is relatively thin -- practically non-existent in fact. It's an abuse of prosecutorial discretion and an ineffective use of limited tax payer money to choose hard cases over easy cases.

Ebarella

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
Honest question.
Other than having physical game media, what is so different between video game consoles' online stores vs Apple's AppStore? ?
I can't sideload a game on the Nintendo Switch or Sony PS4 without using homebrew firmware, which is similar to jailbreaking an iPhone. Maybe the difference is about the in-app purchase?
Video game consoles aren't general purpose computing devices, that's the main issue.
Google and Apple brought it to themselves, some things like banking and government transactions are extremely complicated or downright impossible to complete without a smartphone these days

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
It's funny how Republicans/Conservatives always complain about liberal bias or being silenced...

And yet we keep hearing from them. There is tons of R/C material being spread across the internet RIGHT NOW. And always has been. Facebook is FULL of right-wing stuff.

They'll also say "we're being silenced!" while sitting in front of a camera being broadcast to millions of TVs. And that video clip will be distributed on, guess what, social media.

If Facebook is liberal... why do I keep seeing conservative posts shared by my family members?

Answer: Conservative posts are the top-performers on Facebook.

:p
Name one democrat president that was banned from Facebook

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Depends who's is office determines which companies are targeted. Democrats have no reason to go after Facebook as they are on their side. If (when) republicans are back in office they will target social networks that have a perceived liberal agenda.
Eh, careful. Apparently Facebook employees have been whistleblowing that Facebook execs have been over-ruling their own rules and employees and giving passes to right wing sites that would otherwise been restricted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saipher

robbyclark

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2014
Surrey, United Kingdom
Good. Apple has a stranglehold over iOS that is LONG overdue for antitrust scrutiny & legislative action. Apple's monopoly needs to end
What, so the government can crack open and break a secure and fair eco system - Um no thank you. If you want the Wild West and your data in a leaky sieve, migrate to Android. Leave Apples model the hell alone. I and many others choose iOS because it is a closed, safe, private, secure and tightly run Ecosystem; that is the appeal.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
DOJ needs to fix Apple forcing 3rd party browsers through WebKit instead of their own Google Blink, Firefox Gecko, etc. engines on iOS/iPadOS. That's worse than Microsoft's Internet Explorer antitrust violation.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
So the Biden administration is going after everything that protects are privacy, think about that.
i think something is up in the good ol' USA.
now there are 2 USA say a town in west Virginia and there is washington DC
which had a major political scare were the middle class could have a say and maybe survive financially.
They never got over the Snowden snafu and just wants everyone to be and think the same way.
just the vibe from washington dc and the mainstream media is full of vengeance and their platform.
and that infrastructure includes internet and who know what else involved in that internet
and the control over how this is under surveillance.

kinda scary stuff
or just insecure fluff
we will know soon?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Video game consoles aren't general purpose computing devices, that's the main issue.
Google and Apple brought it to themselves, some things like banking and government transactions are extremely complicated or downright impossible to complete without a smartphone these days
Interesting perspective. :D
I do recall my PS4 is capable of browsing the internet with the built-in browser.
Not that I would want to try managing my banking on the PS4 though. :oops:

Reactions: Saipher

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
DOJ needs to fix Apple forcing 3rd party browsers through WebKit instead of their own Google Blink, Firefox Gecko, etc. engines on iOS/iPadOS. That's worse than Microsoft's Internet Explorer antitrust violation.
How? It's Apple's hardware and OS, no one else can make an iPhone/iPad. They are well within their rights to restrict what can and can't run or what standards have to be used by App Developers.

Microsoft was charged with Anti-trust because they didn't make their own hardware and forced the manufacturers to install Internet Explorer on every Windows computer they made/sold. If Microsoft was the only company to produce Window's computers then they would have been fine with what they did.

Ebarella

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
How? It's Apple's hardware and OS, no one else can make an iPhone/iPad. They are well within their rights to restrict what can and can't run or what standards have to be used by App Developers.

Microsoft was charged with Anti-trust because they didn't make their own hardware and forced the manufacturers to install Internet Explorer on every Windows computer they made/sold. If Microsoft was the only company to produce Window's computers then they would have been fine with what they did.
Would you be OK if the same rule concerning browsers applied to MacOS?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
why don't the DOJ go after mother nature who will impact over *50 million USA'rs tonight instead.
(delete if nesc, mods!)

*nora mcdonnal just now 2021

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Two Questions:

1. Where can I get apps for my Android devices?

2. Where can I get apps for my iOS devices?

There is your monopoly.
Two more questions:

1. Where can I download games for the X-Box?

2. Where can I download games for the PlayStation?

FYI — it is not illegal to have a monopoly.

Reactions: WiseAJ

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Would you be OK if the same rule concerning browsers applied to MacOS?
I'd be fine with it yeah, but MacOS is not iOS and it's annoying how people keep trying to combine the two of them together. They are separate for a reason. Just because Apple does something with one of them doesn't mean they will or should do it with the other.

arlomedia

macrumors member
May 5, 2021
Honest question.
To expand on that, smartphones are now a phone, messaging device, GPS, camera, music player, radio, notebook, etc. for many people, so there are lots of opportunities for the mobile platform owners to use a strength in one area to act anticompetitively in another area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.