Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
This surely has to be denied. Otherwise whats next?
How about USA determines the real problem and stop selling guns to anyone? How is it that that the rest of the world can see that USA has a gun problem and yet the NRA lobby still protects their "silly" amendment?
So no, please Apple deny this.

You see criminals usually obtain their guns illegally and when people can no longer own guns they become defenseless.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
There are significant rings tied into Mexican organized crime that procure and smuggle weapons over the border. A $800 is the cost of two to four handguns. It is certainly enough for them to be involved.
Taking actual guns is one thing, but these scopes are usually not recognized by e.g. airport security. As such, export control is barely executed.
Ofcourse, if you take like 10 of those at once customs will have questions and then the export control issue is more likely to pop up.
So, exporting them is not too difficult in low quantities.
...or you could just buy it outside the US and re-export from there, where export control is less strict than in the US.

So, under the bottom line, going over the app (which a trader of these might not even have installed) is far from a proportionate request in my opinion....

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Taking actual guns is one thing, but these scopes are usually not recognized by e.g. airport security. As such, export control is barely executed.
Ofcourse, if you take like 10 of those at once customs will have questions and then the export control issue is more likely to pop up.
So, exporting them is not too difficult in low quantities.
...or you could just buy it outside the US and re-export from there, where export control is less strict than in the US.

So, under the bottom line, going over the app (which a trader of these might not even have installed) is far from a proportionate request in my opinion....

If you've legally acquired the gun, ITAR is the only regulation preventing you from exporting it. (People do this regularly with Canada) So to the law, there's no difference.

You're talking theoretical. The article says ICE is intercepting a large number going somewhere. Not knowing the specific details, I suspect it's Mexico. They want to crack down on the known rings.

Export restrictions from other countries are the job of their government. The US Government is responsible for enforcing US law. Because other countries allow crime doesn't mean the US should.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
This surely has to be denied. Otherwise whats next?
How about USA determines the real problem and stop selling guns to anyone? How is it that that the rest of the world can see that USA has a gun problem and yet the NRA lobby still protects their "silly" amendment?
So no, please Apple deny this.

because for the US to stop allowing the sales of any guns at all would essentially invalidate our entire constitution. Unless you’re talking about a constitutional amendment erasing the second amendment. Then while we’re at it why not just start tearing up all the rest of the constitution we don’t like today. I don’t think people deserve the right to a speedy trial because it costs too much money. Toss it aside... don’t really like the fact the government needs a warrant to enter homes without my permission. That slows down terrorism investigations. Toss that out too. Also there’s way too much being said that offends me, and religion is bad for the world so I guess forget the first amendment too. You either don’t understand how complicated this gun ownership issue is or you don’t care about the fundamental freedoms that made America the model of democracy for the rest of the world 200 years ago.

disclaimer: I don’t own guns and am for the banning of assault weapons.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How about no - apple
[doublepost=1567818048][/doublepost]
I suspect and definitely hope that Apple will refuse to give over this information.

I’m sure their policy is should a valid and specific court order is sent tot hem for an existing case and crime from a Judge would they consider.

Still such a scope is so freaking cool yet scary! Terminator 1984 we’ve finally caught up!

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
What's the problem with looking into people who purchased a gun accessory but never registered a gun?

Because gun registries are illegal, an I may have inherited or purchased the gun I'm mating it to decades ago.....

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
When you buy this don't you have to fill out end user paperwork? I had to fill out and fax stuff when I was buying some TSCM equipment.
[doublepost=1567818808][/doublepost]
Apple doesn’t have much of a legal choice on this one. Weapon Export regulations are “black letter of the law”. They apply to EVERY person in the government jurisdiction... so to manufacturers, stores, and even private individuals that might pack one in their luggage and leave the country.

Apple already has strict geofencing for things like Super Strong Encryption... certain levels are subject to “weapons” laws as well. (Whois why certain open source projects are hosted in Europe, because they got hosted there before the US government put them on the list.

Back to Apple though, they should have geofenced this app from any account in non-export countries. The OEM probably did not declare to Apple the software as part of a “weapon”. That requirement is almost certainly buried in the EULA that the iOS license is void in that case (just like Windows where “safety equipment”, nuclear plants, and other “ultra-high liability” uses are prohibited because Apple, Microsoft, Google cant ever accept that liability)

Apple is nailed to the wall here. Export violation investigations have very few legal limits... it’s literally “dealing in war materials”. Apple is the “bystander” here, because someone else used their platform, but they have few rights.

I’d put money on some idiot putting “scope cam” video on a YouTube channel in a non-export country (which is a stricter list than embargoes) and ICE is bringing the hammer of Hela down on them. My money would be on this “scope cam” video being used on “public” locations... (and maybe with a gun attached.. get it)

If thats the case then get a warrent on the specific ip and individual tied to the youtube account. You cant just say give me the combo to everyones locker so i can check each and everyone of them and catch criminals.

That order is an obvious violation of the 4th amendment its not even funny.

If you have a suspect and a reasonable case the go get a warrant and do it the right way.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Closest thing to an equivalent law I could find is that for shipping records the government can subpoena them if they have reasonable suspicion that they will contain documents that will lead to a suspect for a crime. This is somewhat equivalent. Apple has records of shipment of an app to a customer. These records are probably more detailed and accurate than standards shipment records but contain much the same stuff. The catch is that the government can ONLY subpoena for the records that might contain the information. In this case they are doing that so it seems like it is OK.

Speculating about this, if you've ordered enough computers or computer parts that came in from overseas odds are your name and address has come up in a search by the government over a shipment which some of these items went missing. This doesn't feel that different. As long as the government obtains a subpoena for it I'd be OK with it.

That said, I didn't see anything like that mentioned...

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
However, Apple should've already restricted the app as such to prevent illegal exports of the software.
Except exporting the software isn't illegal. It's the gun sight itself which is export controlled. Without the physical gun sight the app is next to useless, so Apple has no requirement to control its download or require it to be geofenced or any other such restriction.
As to whether they should comply with the request to identify downloaders in order to aid in an investigation seeking to find the people who illegally exported the actual gun sight, not quite sure how I feel about that. I could understand police going to every store which sold the actual gun sight and asking for details of everyone who bought it, asking for the details of anyone who downloaded the app feels one step removed from that and, even if it's not an overreach, is a bit of a stretch.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Wow. Looking in to? I don’t care what your political leanings are....but if anyone isn’t scared ******** about the government inquiring about your apps...all I can say is wow.

What's the problem with looking into people who purchased a gun accessory but never registered a gun?

Reactions: beArebel

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Wow. Looking in to? I don’t care what your political leanings are....but if anyone isn’t scared ******** about the government inquiring about your apps...all I can say is wow.

Yeah - But there is an expectation that the government to look into suspicious behavior. People with guns make up 100% of gun related crimes.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
What makes the authorities believe the app was not downloaded just so someone could see what it was all about?
[doublepost=1567825450][/doublepost]
Maybe I will get the app so I can see if it could be used by a person or persons who intend to harm someone.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
What makes the authorities believe the app was not downloaded just so someone could see what it was all about?
[doublepost=1567825450][/doublepost]
Maybe I will get the app so I can see if it could be used by a person or persons who intend to harm someone.

That sounds like obstruction of justice. You are intentionally trying to make it harder to identify criminals? /s

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
At this point and after reading glen Greenwalds book on Edward Snowden, I don’t doubt that Apple already gives up a lot of information but as a “public face” Apple makes it look like they don’t
[doublepost=1567826087][/doublepost]
Not bad...
Holy crap a $2k scope

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I use my iPhone to connect to my telescope and to take pictures and videos and calibrate the optics. Are we next?

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

I don't think anyone wants to actually face the real problem(s). Something to consider, though, is that guns and the 'silly' amendment have been around as long or longer than the country. Something else is the new factor in the equation.

As for the 'silly' amendment, it is there for a reason. If it isn't understand what that is, I can see how most of the rest of the world is confused. (For example, I now live in Canada and even being right next-door to the USA, most Canadians I've talked to don't understand the purpose of the amendment.)

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
What’s really silly is that the likelihood of an exporter actually downloading the app is next to nothing. Exporter will not even take it out of the box.

Reactions: simonmet

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
But there's a pretty big difference between asking a local store employee, "Did you see anything?" or "Have you seen this person?" And the request being made of Apple and Google. In Apple's and Google's situation they literally have a record of every single person and what he or she did.

For example, perhaps the local store employee saw nothing but the store has a security camera. Is the owner of the footage required by law to hand over the recording without any type of warrant? Because that's more like what's being asked of Apple and Google.

Yes this would be the equivalent of going into a store and telling the owner to hand over all their customer records concerning sales of some items, so they could go through all of them looking for potential violations, rather than asking the store owner about a specific person. They need to narrow this request down more and get a court order.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
because for the US to stop allowing the sales of any guns at all would essentially invalidate our entire constitution. Unless you’re talking about a constitutional amendment erasing the second amendment. Then while we’re at it why not just start tearing up all the rest of the constitution we don’t like today. I don’t think people deserve the right to a speedy trial because it costs too much money. Toss it aside... don’t really like the fact the government needs a warrant to enter homes without my permission. That slows down terrorism investigations. Toss that out too. Also there’s way too much being said that offends me, and religion is bad for the world so I guess forget the first amendment too. You either don’t understand how complicated this gun ownership issue is or you don’t care about the fundamental freedoms that made America the model of democracy for the rest of the world 200 years ago.

disclaimer: I don’t own guns and am for the banning of assault weapons.
For the rest of the world? Surely you are leading the deaths caused by guns. Anyway, average person should not have the need to have a gun. This nonsensical thing: "I have a right to have a gun, its my amendment" is outdated, and frankly idiotic. USA has a gun problems for the very fact that its super easy to obtain one. Do you know how hard it is in most europeans countries to obtain a gun? Do you know how many people I know with a gun in europe? Sure, I know some but they have proper licence as all of them are hunters. Then I have friends in security (again, thats fine) but thats about it. I could count all those people on my fingers. Now, lets take this to USA and almost every other person has it.
Anyway, I don't want to argue. I've learnt over the years that its impossible to talk sense to americans when it comes to guns. Lets talk about something else ;)
[doublepost=1567831994][/doublepost]
I don't think anyone wants to actually face the real problem(s). Something to consider, though, is that guns and the 'silly' amendment have been around as long or longer than the country. Something else is the new factor in the equation.

As for the 'silly' amendment, it is there for a reason. If it isn't understand what that is, I can see how most of the rest of the world is confused. (For example, I now live in Canada and even being right next-door to the USA, most Canadians I've talked to don't understand the purpose of the amendment.)
It was there for a reason. But back then the times were different. The amendment needs to be amended :D :D :D

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
Good Call Apple. Americans are Crazy. and can not be trusted. As a Brit. you are ALL our Slightly Retarded Cousins..we love you...but you all need to stop shooting each other. you have NO IDEA how stupid you look to the rest of the planet. all this NRA is good is just CRAP. you need the ** right to bear arms ** removing from your constitution, it was based on the times when it took 3 MINUTES TO RELOAD A WEAPON for christ sake ! .. sort your selves out ...

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
This is a very large dragnet, and smacks of 'other crimes as discovered during the course of the investigation'.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
This will be interesting. Publicly, Apple (or at least Tim Cook) has gone on about how he feels that gun control is a good thing. Well, now here comes some gun part control that interfaces with an Apple product. What is more important, privacy or gun control? I look forward to seeing how Apple handles this.
This has nothing to do with gun control. And Apple’s precedent on government demands is reassuring.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If that scope is specific to assault weapons, Apple should comply. If not, Apple can ask the app manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.