Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
It’s possible to be against crass government overreach while being in favor of third party app stores.

I think its the facebook people that are all going crazy over this. they don't want to have to get their facebook app from Zuckerberg directly even though Apple's "protection" on the facebook app is an illusion.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
I think its the facebook people that are all going crazy over this. they don't want to have to get their facebook app from Zuckerberg directly even though Apple's "protection" is an illusion.
I absolutely detest social media, so, no

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I think its the facebook people that are all going crazy over this. they don't want to have to get their facebook app from Zuckerberg directly even though Apple's "protection" on the facebook app is an illusion.
Yeah, I’m not sure exactly what it is. “I don’t want it and I won’t use it, but I think you shouldn’t have it even if it doesn’t affect me” is an interesting worldview.

Boris Bronson

macrumors regular
Indeed. Like all those fine mobile phones that were invented and developed in the EU. Also that leading edge SOC tech comes from the EU, and.....oh, wait. ?
SOC’s in iPhones are literally children of ARM chips, designed in Cambridge UK since the 1970’s. Nokia mobile phones from Finland were de facto standard for 20 years.

I mean ffs this is a simple Google search away.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
That‘s because the flashy innovation on desktops came 20 years ago. There is constant innovation on desktops today that is never reported because it’s no longer sexy. The desktop market is about 40 years old. The smart phone market is only about 15. A more open system always allows for greater innovation, and a more open iPhone will be no different.
In 2008 when Apple launched the App Store, the desktop/laptop software world was dominated by legacy software with entrenched developers. One of the hallmarks of the mobile era was a lot of newer, smaller developers breaking out and becoming successful. And now you see the legacy/entrenched developers from desktop/laptop (like Microsoft and Epic) filing lawsuits and lobbying governments in the name of "competition" so that they can try and entrench themselves on mobile.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
It’s possible to be against crass government overreach while being in favor of third party app stores.
Perhaps, but forcing a company to change its business model like what appears to be proposed is overreach of the worst sort. If this happens, don't assume apps will be offered in both Apple's app store and other stores. There will be a mass exodus from Apple's app store and we will be faced with using Wild West apps with a higher security risk or not using them at all. This actually lowers consumer choice because it leaves no mobile operating system with a decent walled garden for security.

As I said, I could see the government requiring Apple to guarantee security of the apps in its store, so that the security benefits of the walled garden can be accrued and it is not just window dressing to gouge consumers and developers. Other than that, though, lawmakers should butt out.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
The walls are closing in on Apple for once.
are u even reading the article? htere is only mentionend about webapps or sideloading or alternative store all othet parts are about Companies like Google or FB. Apple Wanted to use webapps as the only apps for ios and users dont wanted that lol. now they complain they cant make webapps :D

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
and just like that, developers can keep 100% of their $$$ and users can "install software".
And just like that the majority of people don’t install apps any more because they don’t know where to get them. No one’s on the App Store and you have to go to a million places to get the different apps you want

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
In 2008 when Apple launched the App Store, the desktop/laptop software world was dominated by legacy software with entrenched developers. One of the hallmarks of the mobile era was a lot of newer, smaller developers breaking out and becoming successful. And now you see the legacy/entrenched developers from desktop/laptop (like Microsoft and Epic) filing lawsuits and lobbying governments in the name of "competition" so that they can try and entrench themselves on mobile.
And the term “Sherlocked” came about because Apple has ended some independent apps in favor of their own. How is this any different than what you’re suggesting? The only difference between the desktop on the iPhone is its easier to be entrenched when you and your friends own the only means of distribution.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Apple will allow other app stores, but only on the condition all app stores comply with a single security standard. Progressive web apps should not be an issue since you don't need to install an app to actually run it. The same may apply for NFC chip access--Apple may publish an API that everyone has to comply with.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Perhaps, but forcing a company to change its business model like what appears to be proposed is overreach of the worst sort. If this happens, don't assume apps will be offered in both Apple's app store and other stores. There will be a mass exodus from Apple's app store and we will be faced with using Wild West apps with a higher security risk or not using them at all. This actually lowers consumer choice because it leaves no mobile operating system with a decent walled garden for security.

As I said, I could see the government requiring Apple to guarantee security of the apps in its store, so that the security benefits of the walled garden can be accrued and it is not just window dressing to gouge consumers and developers. Other than that, though, lawmakers should butt out.
Yeah, it is, but I haven’t voiced support for force.

It’s nonsense, imo, to believe that major players won’t offer their apps on Apple’s App Store. Publishers are still going to want to reach people and, almost surely, the vast majority of iPhone users will keep right on going to Apple‘s App Store and publishers will want their stuff to be discoverable.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I agree that government should probably not be involved in a private business model, but the app ecosystem would not suddenly become the “Wild West”. Android allows side loading, but a majority of apps on Android are on the Google Play Store. Discovery would still be an issue on phones. In fact, a majority of independent developers would probably want to stay on the App Store for this very reason.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
The only difference between the desktop on the iPhone is its easier to be entrenched when you and your friends own the only means of distribution.
That isn't what happened. The App Store era was not just a rinse/repeat of the same apps and app developers that dominated desktop/laptop software prior to 2008.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
And just like that the majority of people don’t install apps any more because they don’t know where to get them. No one’s on the App Store and you have to go to a million places to get the different apps you want
Maybe it’s just me, but making my app less discoverable for most people who are using the default tools available would be idiotic.

People will know where to look. If you’ve chosen not to make your app available where they’re looking, I question your business acumen.

Reactions: Orange Bat

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
IMO, the difference is that with a desktop computer, you turn it on when you use it and turn it off when you don't.

nicholas-cage-funny.gif

But as others have pointed out, if the mobile world becomes a Wild West for software I could simply choose to live with Apple's default apps. I'd prefer a curated App Store though.

nobody is kicking you out of the App Store. It will still be there. Nobody is forcing you to install software manually.

Boris Bronson

macrumors regular
Yes. The iPhone is great for some many people because it works. This will break the iPhone. Apps won’t be forced to be optimized or use ATT even a little.
why do you assume this is a given? Apple has a 15 year head start in folks being accustomed to using the App Store. Millions of people are not rushing out tomorrow to side load apps, as seen by the minuscule numbers who do so on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.