Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Are you implying that there is a some sort of "cast" system for the customers? Who are those indecent customers?

Are you trying to say 'caste' but don't know how to spell it?

If so, you should also look up what caste means. It doesn't apply to your funny question.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Are you trying to say 'caste' but don't know how to spell it?

If so, you should also look up what caste means. It doesn't apply to your funny question.
Does it make me indecent or illiterate? Can I still shop at the Apple Store or should there be a "different" stores for people like me?

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Does it make me indecent or illiterate? Can I still shop at the Apple Store or should there be a "different" stores for people like me?

First say what you are looking for in a store and then that can be answered.

If you go to Macy's and ask them where is the Nazi uniforms department they will gladly tell you they don't stock such garbage and they will not be forced to.

That's not free speech censorship.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
First say what you are looking for in a store and then that can be answered.

If you go to Macy's and ask them where is the Nazi uniforms department they will gladly tell you they don't stock such garbage and they will not be forced to.

That's not free speech censorship.
Nazi uniforms are not the problem, people in normal suits and ties regurgitating passively aggressive Nazi statements like "we are an exceptional and indispensable nation" on the other hand are the real problem.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
From Wikipedia:
The Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) is a group of physicians and former journalists formed in April 2020 that has advocated for various unapproved, dubious, and ineffective treatments (e.g. hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, and other miscellaneous combinations of drugs and vitamins) for COVID-19.[1][2][3][4][5][6] The group is led by Paul E. Marik and Pierre Kory.[3] Both would later join conservative or right-wing groups promoting COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy and misinformation.

The World Health Organization, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and European Medicines Agency advise against the use of ivermectin for COVID-19 outside of clinical trials, but the FLCCC has contended that ivermectin could reduce viral load and accelerate recovery in patients.[7][8][9]

Also:

Reactions: ninecows

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
From Wikipedia:

Also:

This is moving away from science and towards p-value hunting to whatever matches the agenda you’re pushing

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
This quack outfit committee just want to turn the world back to 17th century when robber barons and religious extremists were in charge and beat and robbed the population.

There is also a group of quacks called NLPC who are trying to attack Apple and remove Tim Cook from the board. The NLPC are an extremist crank group who are climate change deniers and homophobes.

Reactions: redbeard331

PrecisionGem

Suspended
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
“U.S. House Judiciary Committee Republicans plan to investigate whether the federal government "colluded" with tech companies to ‘suppress free speech’ on issues like COVID-19.”

I think we’re all agreed that, for example, there is no legal right to promote actual snake oil as a cure for cancer, no?

Then there also is no legal right to promote either Ivermectin nor bleach injections as a cure for human viral respiratory infections.

The scary part is that people so woefully ignorant of basic physiology have positions of power within our government. I don’t know what the cure is for that kind of stupid when it infects society to such an extent.

b&
Funny thing is, the USA had the highest death rate of covid in the world, after following "the science" and the CDC. Countries that used Ivermectin, vitamin D etc had much much lower death rates than the USA.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Why don’t we just call “content moderation” censorship?

Trying to sugar coat such disgusting practices makes no sense to me

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Politics aside, Apple doesn’t have a social media site or a search engine. What speech are they suppressing? Same with Amazon I guess.

I agree for the most part, but Apple did remove my favorite shooting ballistics app from the App Store just because the dev happened to live in Russia…

That wasn’t cool

• Angry
Reactions: webbuzz

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Something else is bothering me.

You can make an argument — a very bad, poorly-reasoned, and unsupportable argument, to be sure, but an argument nonetheless — that a platform such as Twitter is a de-facto public space and so higher standards of freedom of speech must apply.

But how on Earth does Apple fit into any of this? Apple isn’t a social media company; all their communication platforms are person-to-person. You can send all the emails you want to your friends and family ranting about the latest whatever, and Apple won’t stop you. It’s not like they’re YouTube taking down your FaceTime call with your crazy uncle.

Apparently it’s too much to ask of the current House majority to even make arguments that are coherent. Then again, just look at their behavior in the State of the Union speech, or during the Speaker selection process, or when answering questions of reporters about your dog charity, or …

b&
How is systemic corporate interference with civil rights, freedom of speech, not a civil rights violation like, say, a corporation preventing people from voting?

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
How is systemic corporate interference with civil rights, freedom of speech, not a civil rights violation like, say, a corporation preventing people from voting?

And how we have learned over the past few years the gov get deeply involved in how these companies operate

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Funny thing is, the USA had the highest death rate of covid in the world, after following "the science" and the CDC. Countries that used Ivermectin, vitamin D etc had much much lower death rates than the USA.
Ah isn’t freedom of speech lovely. No one will put you in jail no matter how ludicrous a statement you make.

But ok. I’ll bite. It’s true. Many countries did far better than the US in terms of death rates. And they did so without ivermectin or drinking bleach. They did so by taking the vaccine and practicing social distancing instead of arranging big motorcycle or BLM rallies and other super spreader events.

The votes are still out on Ivermectin. But the vaccine clearly bought us the time it took for coronavirus to mutate into something more contagious that only attacks the upper respiratory system isn’t of turning your lungs into stone.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Ah isn’t freedom of speech lovely. No one will put you in jail no matter how ludicrous a statement you make.

But ok. I’ll bite. It’s true. Many countries did far better than the US in terms of death rates. And they did so without ivermectin or drinking bleach. They did so by taking the vaccine and practicing social distancing instead of arranging big motorcycle or BLM rallies and other super spreader events.

The votes are still out on Ivermectin. But the vaccine clearly bought us the time it took for coronavirus to mutate into something more contagious that only attacks the upper respiratory system isn’t of turning your lungs into stone.

Comparing noble prize and darpa proven ivermectin to drinking bleach, yeah credibility just pegged at zero

Reactions: icanhazmac

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Comparing noble prize and darpa proven ivermectin to drinking bleach, yeah credibility just pegged at zero
Sorry. I forgot that the dude that recommended bleach was not a noble prize candidate. He was just elected president 😂

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Sorry. I forgot that the dude that recommended bleach was not a noble prize candidate. He was just elected president 😂

I could care less what a politician said

And ivermectin won the Nobel peace prize
In 2015, the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, in its only award for treatments of infectious diseases since six decades prior, honoured the discovery of ivermectin (IVM), a multifaceted drug deployed against some of the world's most devastating tropical diseases.”

But seeing darpa knew about covid back when we were paying to modify it and make it transmissible to humans while increasing its virulence, that same darpa said ivermectin was a great tool to combat it, well that’s saying quite a bit

Now if you were to mention DARPA and their pre “pandemic” findings on ivermectin having great results at fighting covid on any of the big websites it would get it censored and you’d get banned, but saying the big pharma shots would make it so you wouldn’t catch it, couldn’t spread it, or that there were no side effects (all VERY false), that was A OK

Censorship is always always a bad idea, good ideas can withstand debate, it’s the BS and scams that are afraid of the light

Reactions: PrecisionGem

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP

Private companies like twitter, youtube, facebook etc can set the rules as they please on their platform. They can limit or let everything go. Just as the editor of a news paper. …

No

See you don’t get to be a “public square” and enjoy that legal immunity, while acting like a publisher and censoring some content and promoting other content

You want to be a publisher, cool, be one, and be responsible for anything that’s on your medium

You want that responsibility free status, well you don’t get to censor people

Sadly our politicians still have AOL email addresses and don’t understand tech, they don’t want to anger tech bros who their interns say could help them win elections

So we let alphabet and Zuckerberg Inc play both editor/publisher and public square

Honestly it should have been simple, “stop censoring, any further censoring by man or ‘algorithm’ will result in immediate removal of all section 230 protections”

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
No

See you don’t get to be a “public square” and enjoy that legal immunity, while acting like a publisher and censoring some content and promoting other content

You want to be a publisher, cool, be one, and be responsible for anything that’s on your medium

You want that responsibility free status, well you don’t get to censor people

Sadly our politicians still have AOL email addresses and don’t understand tech, they don’t want to anger tech bros who their interns say could help them win elections

So we let alphabet and Zuckerberg Inc play both editor/publisher and public square

Honestly it should have been simple, “stop censoring, any further censoring by man or ‘algorithm’ will result in immediate removal of all section 230 protections”
I'm not really sure what you're saying here?

Do you want total freedom of speech on said platforms? And Zuckerberg et al should just say: We don't want to limit what people can say on facebook no matter if they're advocating for jihad, overthrowing a democratically elected government, murder, genocide, incest, drugs, make-your-friends-faint-by-choking-them-challenge or whatever... and should we also allow children on that platform then? Where do you want to draw the line?

They might have started that way, but later realised that this was not the type of platform they wanted to be, so they started taken responsibility and censoring. That's their choice as a privately owned company. I assume they are trying to be responsible for everything, but obviously its physically impossible for them to catch everything at day 0.

The legislation is probably (just like so many others) outdated by the development of technology and don't take into the account the MASSIVE amount of posts and content they should go through every second. This was easy in the old days where a newspaper received a letter and could decide if they wanted to print it or not.

That Zuckerberg et al choose to have rules on their platform does not limit your freedom of speech at all. You can go to any corner, get up on a box and say what you like. In addition the internet is full of places where you can express all of your opinions without censorship as well. Or you can just start your own platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbeard331

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I could care less what a politician said

And ivermectin won the Nobel peace prize
In 2015, the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, in its only award for treatments of infectious diseases since six decades prior, honoured the discovery of ivermectin (IVM), a multifaceted drug deployed against some of the world's most devastating tropical diseases.”

But seeing darpa knew about covid back when we were paying to modify it and make it transmissible to humans while increasing its virulence, that same darpa said ivermectin was a great tool to combat it, well that’s saying quite a bit

Now if you were to mention DARPA and their pre “pandemic” findings on ivermectin having great results at fighting covid on any of the big websites it would get it censored and you’d get banned, but saying the big pharma shots would make it so you wouldn’t catch it, couldn’t spread it, or that there were no side effects (all VERY false), that was A OK

Censorship is always always a bad idea, good ideas can withstand debate, it’s the BS and scams that are afraid of the light
I think we will need some good sources for these claims on DARPA. But maybe the big brother censorship have removed those?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I agree for the most part, but Apple did remove my favorite shooting ballistics app from the App Store just because the dev happened to live in Russia…

That wasn’t cool
Outside of the current reasons Apple may have for not wanting to support the Russian economy (I’ll avoid that here since this isnt the politics part of the forum) to avoid fueling Putin’s ridiculous horrific completely unnecessary war in Ukraine it’s worth noting Apple may not have had any choice. At my job we had to put in some blocks based on govt regs recently on Russia

EDIT: realized we are in the politics section

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I'm not really sure what you're saying here?

Do you want total freedom of speech on said platforms? And Zuckerberg et al should just say: We don't want to limit what people can say on facebook no matter if they're advocating for jihad, overthrowing a democratically elected government, murder, genocide, incest, drugs, make-your-friends-faint-by-choking-them-challenge or whatever... and should we also allow children on that platform then? Where do you want to draw the line?

They might have started that way, but later realised that this was not the type of platform they wanted to be, so they started taken responsibility and censoring. That's their choice as a privately owned company. I assume they are trying to be responsible for everything, but obviously its physically impossible for them to catch everything at day 0.

The legislation is probably (just like so many others) outdated by the development of technology and don't take into the account the MASSIVE amount of posts and content they should go through every second. This was easy in the old days where a newspaper received a letter and could decide if they wanted to print it or not.

That Zuckerberg et al choose to have rules on their platform does not limit your freedom of speech at all. You can go to any corner, get up on a box and say what you like. In addition the internet is full of places where you can express all of your opinions without censorship as well. Or you can just start your own platform.

If someone is saying something illegal call 911

Otherwise if it’s a town square you let them post whatever

Or let go of your section 230 protections and just be a publisher/editor

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If someone is saying something illegal call 911

Otherwise if it’s a town square you let them post whatever

Or let go of your section 230 protections and just be a publisher/editor
So you're for government censorship and government-compelled speech, but not for private control of their own property. Seems like the opposite values of the rest of your shtick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.