Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The United States Labor Department has launched a whistleblower retaliation investigation, according to a report from Financial Times.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

The U.S. Labor Department did not provide details on the investigation, but Financial Times says that former Apple employee Ashley Gjovik received a December 10 letter from the Labor Department that confirmed the inquiry. Gjovik was fired from Apple in September for allegedly leaking confidential information.

Gjovik, who has been vocal on Twitter, complained about ongoing harassment and unsafe working conditions at Apple, and she believes that she was fired under a false pretext.

Apple told Financial Times that it is "deeply committed to creating and maintaining a positive and inclusive workplace." The company said that it takes "all concerns seriously" and investigates thoroughly when a complaint is raised.

In recent weeks, Apple employees have been critical of workplace misconduct and have shared their frustrations, which has led to the creation of an "AppleToo" initiative calling on Apple executives to address the abuse, discrimination, and harassment that employees have reported.

Back in September, Apple retail and people chief Deirdre O'Brien encouraged employees who are experiencing issues to talk to their managers and their "business relations partner." Apple, she said, has a "confidential process" to investigate complaints in a way that "treats everyone with dignity and respect."

Apple is also facing an investigation from the National Labor Relations Board.

Article Link: U.S. Labor Department Opens Investigation Into Apple

Last edited:

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
I wouldn’t be so quick to think the employee is the one that was wronged (without knowing the full context). We live in woke-infested times and some people have hijacked the progressive aspects of social reforms to whine about everything and treat _everything_ that they disagree with as discrimination.

Get the popcorns ready! Investigation? Just go through the tweets. 🍿

Everything is on this Twitter account.

4D440FD2-E996-4F06-AC76-164E8A7B65AD.jpeg

Last edited:

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
A lot of Apple employee's are just spoiled and out of touch with reality, and cry when they don't get something they want, meanwhile reality is that they work at one of the best places to work.
Do you know anyone who works there? I know two people who did work there, and they would disagree with you. Based on what I know I wouldn't want to work there.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Why are there so many here defending a faceless, multi trillion dollar company? Apple. Doesn’t. Care. About. You.
Apple is not a faceless sentient alien. Apple is the collective of all the humans that dream to build and create hardware & software, art, and technology. They go to work everyday and work their butts off. It’s hard to coordinate large groups of people working together flawlessly. There’ll always be problems. Apple is the collective of shareholders who believe in Apple’s mission and success as a company, and choose to own & buy apple stock. It’s a strange narrative to distill all of that to a “faceless trillion dollar“ evil corporation.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Yes. The person I know, said the company standards are high and a lot is expected of an individual. Maybe that is the issue?
I'm sorry... I almost was able to let this slide without additional comment!! Do you seriously think a company that was founded by and still idolizes Steve Jobs really treats people with fairness and dignity all the time??? =). Steve was great at many things... dealing with people wasn't one of them.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I've been following her drama on twitter since she initially requested to be placed on leave. This woman is deranged. She claims that because her office was located on a toxic waste site, it made her sick, she thinks Apple is secretly spying on her, so she god rid of all her Apple gear. She belongs in an institution.

That being said if there is actual workplace harassment, sexual harassment, etc, Apple needs to do something about it or the DoL will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I'm sorry... I almost was able to let this slide without additional comment!! Do you seriously think a company that was founded by and still idolizes Steve Jobs really treats people with fairness and dignity all the time??? =). Steve was great at many things... dealing with people wasn't one of them.

there are plenty of other places to work if one feels mistreated by apple... but apple is probably more tolerant of kooks than most fortune 500 companies..

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Yes. The person I know, said the company standards are high and a lot is expected of an individual. Maybe that is the issue?
Right!!! Somehow the tend to consistently get great Employee ratings. There will always be a vocal minority that believes they should be babied. Well that is crap. If they are not doing the job and get called on it, they think they are entitled to a free ride.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I've been following her drama on twitter since she initially requested to be placed on leave. This woman is deranged. She claims that because her office was located on a toxic waste site, it made her sick, she thinks Apple is secretly spying on her, so she god rid of all her Apple gear. She belongs in an institution.

That being said if there is actual workplace harassment, sexual harassment, etc, Apple needs to do something about it or the DoL will.
She had the option of paying for her own personal phone for person use, but she chose to use only the Apple supplied iphone and delete data when it was to be inspected. She violated company policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.