Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pray2crom

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
I just want access to buy the components to repair my BOUGHT AND PAID FOR devices.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It is a pretty simple concept to replace glue with fasteners. It doesn’t need a lot of thinking to figure it out.
And yet people don't seem to grasp the differences, believe the choice is arbitrary, and chalk the decision up to conspiracy.
Well in the first case you gave a link to the person was successful in the end. Either way it shows someone working through a problem and learning so I don’t understand what is bad about that.
No they weren't, they brought it to 2-click repair to get it fixed after the botched RAM modifications. Nobody called that "bad". The word I used was "interesting". I do think it's evidence against the arguments that right to repair will reduce e-waste and that we're likely to do as well with the 16 year old next door as we would an Apple certified repair shop, though.

I also kind of wonder how people would feel if they knew the repair shop they brought their MBP to was in the back room on an internet forum asking how to do the job...

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I find some phenomenas around Apple as exposed on this forum extremely interesting. Transversal along the many criticisms around Apple policies, either in the context of consumer choices to repair their devices or procure app and digital services is choice. Choice not only has a function of convenience but also of cost, together.

Yet, the appreciation of the company success and innovation goes to the point where some consumers consider in abstract that somehow more choice reduces their convenience or ability to choose, while no choice does quite the contrary, empowers both convenience and ability to choose … which is of course a logical absurdity.

The artist Piero Mazoni explorers in his pieces the idea of how absurd the peoples appreciation over certain entities can go … its interesting what is happening in the realm of high end consumerism yet not at all surprising.

Last edited:

Mac_tech

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2020
Iowa, USA
As soon a you crack open an idevice, the weather sealing is compromised and it'll never be the same again. Devices should be recycled and you should get a new or refurb one directly from Apple. It should be a constant cycle.
I don't agree with this. We need less e-waste not more. recycling a perfectly good device just because the weather sealing is compromised doesn't make a bit of sense. When Apple replaces the battery or when I do repairs the weather sealing is replaced and the old is removed and the space is cleaned with alcohol so the new adhesive can be installed and create a good seal.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
me too but let's see where this goes. iFixit is a great place to get parts from currently but they don't have chips or schematics.
And with a newer iPhone (and also iPads and Macs), you cannot just replace something even if you have genuine parts. They're all paired together. You need Apple's tool for pairing the new parts so the devices will work properly again.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't believe in the right to repair. Each company can build whatever it wants so long as there is competition. Once companies decide not to let your repair their devices, one of the competitors will release a completely repairable device and will win customers.

And so they will compete and fight in the market place until everyone gets what he wants, if there are those who do not mind a non-repairable device it will continue to exist and those who do will get the product they want. A little bit like original spare parts and bootlegged ones.

Would I like a repairable device? yes, but I also do not believe in forcing to make such device on other businesses. Let them compete, assuming there is a competition and its a non monopoly situation.

Jun 7, 2021
If I purchase a product I am entitled to make repairs on it as I own the hardware. Especially for the absurd premiums they charge, and especially considering they got caught browsing customer phones.

if they want to make the argument that we do not in fact own this hardware, then turn it into a lease program and price it as such.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
So what happens if I buy a car...should I be allowed to drive it at 100mph? After all...it's mine...I bought it...

Of course not, there are laws that prevent that. So it seems that - assuming you agree that the speed limits are OK - you are fine with rules governing what is done with privately owned property when it is the GOVERNMENT telling you what you can and can't do...but when it is the company that actually produced the product...that's wrong somehow?

So, sticking with cars...you buy a new car...the manufacturer has fitter a speed limiter which prevents you from going over whatever the national speed limit is in your country. The car itself is easily capable of going faster. So do you remove it? Because you are militant about not wanting the manufacturer to tell you how you can use the thing that you just bought? And if you do remove it out of anger at the manufacturer...would you then stick to the speed limit anyway?

I just don't get this "it's mine...I bought it...I should be able to do what I want" when people obey often ridiculous laws and government regulations like a bunch of sheep...
Ok so you have completely missed the point. I believe in responsible manufacturing, products that are well built, work as they should and last.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
It's ridiculous that you cannot easily upgrade RAM and other components on larger devices.

It's such a simple thing to do but not if you own an Apple device.

Apple have deliberately made it difficult on larger devices such as their laptops - when there is no water resistance requirement.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I can understand Apple's decision. I mean, when you get you car fixed you wanna make sure it still works after. Its more of a 'hit & miss' shot because there are many more who are simply not that experienced, I don't believe its because of price alone... it can also simply be "we wanna skirt around the rules"

We found a nitch... like anything "limited" and we look at it the other way. I just replaced my own battery (thanks iFixIt :) ) in my MBA, but if my keyboard stopped working, i'd need to take it to a shop

A keyboard, of all things.

Last edited:

TVOR

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2019
Ok so you have completely missed the point. I believe in responsible manufacturing, products that are well built, work as they should and last.
What point did I miss exactly?

I was simply making the point that I believe that a business owner should have rights to run their business as they please. The consumer, who has done nothing and contributed nothing to the research and development of these products, has all of these rights...but the people who invested money, risked their own capital, to develop and build companies, they don't have the rights to run their company the way that they choose. It sickens me that we live in a culture which seems to perpetually penalise success while propping up those who choose to contribute nothing other than whiney bi*ch energy to the world!

EDIT: Just to be clear...I am talking about "run their business as they like" in the context of what we are talking about. I am not condoning slave labour or things like that. I am saying that if I choose to not supply spares to a certain third-party then that should be my choice. It should always be the choice of the business who they do business with. No government should ever have the power to force an entity (an individual or a corporation) to enter into a contract with another entity...that is utterly ludicrous in my opinion! And forced "Right to Repair" is, unless I misunderstand what this is about (which is entirely possible...wouldn't be the first time!), forcing Apple to provide parts to third-parties...is it not?

If not then perhaps I am wrong on this particular issue...but my greater point still stands. This "Customer is always right" attitude is abhorrent to me as a business owner and has contributed to the culture of entitlement that leads us down this particular rabbit hole. I have had customers in the past who have proved to be problematic. I simply priced myself out of consideration for the next job.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
What point did I miss exactly?

I was simply making the point that I believe that a business owner should have rights to run their business as they please. The consumer, who has done nothing and contributed nothing to the research and development of these products, has all of these rights...but the people who invested money, risked their own capital, to develop and build companies, they don't have the rights to run their company the way that they choose. It sickens me that we live in a culture which seems to perpetually penalise success while propping up those who choose to contribute nothing other than whiney bi*ch energy to the world!

EDIT: Just to be clear...I am talking about "run their business as they like" in the context of what we are talking about. I am not condoning slave labour or things like that. I am saying that if I choose to not supply spares to a certain third-party then that should be my choice. It should always be the choice of the business who they do business with. No government should ever have the power to force an entity (an individual or a corporation) to enter into a contract with another entity...that is utterly ludicrous in my opinion! And forced "Right to Repair" is, unless I misunderstand what this is about (which is entirely possible...wouldn't be the first time!), forcing Apple to provide parts to third-parties...is it not?

If not then perhaps I am wrong on this particular issue...but my greater point still stands. This "Customer is always right" attitude is abhorrent to me as a business owner and has contributed to the culture of entitlement that leads us down this particular rabbit hole. I have had customers in the past who have proved to be problematic. I simply priced myself out of consideration for the next job.
You are obviously talking about small/medium business. There is a reason why everybody likes the underdog. As soon as you are getting too big and start getting into politics in any way, shape or form, rules changes.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
The consumer, who has done nothing and contributed nothing to the research and development of these products, has all of these rights...
Like Don Draper would say “That’s what the money is for”. Consumers (en masse) pay for all that research and development, other expenses and profit margin once the developer provides them something they want.

Hammerd

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2019
Tim Apple
Sure. How much more do you want to pay for your gadgets? Because companies don’t eat these costs, no matter how great these ideas sound when politicians make big promises.
Every other brand than Apple is offering 2 years of warranty instead of 1 and with a cheaper price tag

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
For myself, I don't really care of R2R goes through or not. While I recognize R2R as a net-positive for consumers and 3rd party shops, I would never personally go 3rd party on repairs to begin with and always go to Apple. There are some things I'm willing to "go cheap" on, my electronic devices that I rely on are not among them.

Plus, and I think it goes without saying, literally anyone with a screwdriver and tweezers can call themself a "technician" so I'm less inclined to do so.

Reactions: jk73

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
This "Customer is always right" attitude is abhorrent to me as a business owner and has contributed to the culture of entitlement that leads us down this particular rabbit hole.

Arguably, the prime motivation behind R2R has almost nothing to do with handing choice or a "win" to consumers--that's the marketing of it, for sure--but opening and expanding yet another avenue for aftermarket manufacturers and suppliers (e.g., iFixit).

Consumerism seldom deviates from obscuring the relationship between cheap and value.
For example, a $5.00 haircut or $10.00 oil change is cheap but not at all likely a good value.

Reactions: jk73

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
I find some phenomenas around Apple as exposed on this forum extremely interesting. Transversal along the many criticisms around Apple policies, either in the context of consumer choices to repair their devices or procure app and digital services is choice. Choice not only has a function of convenience but also of cost, together.

Yet, the appreciation of the company success and innovation goes to the point where some consumers consider in abstract that somehow more choice reduces their convenience or ability to choose, while no choice does quite the contrary, empowers both convenience and ability to choose … which is of course a logical absurdity.

The artist Piero Mazoni explorers in his pieces the idea of how absurd the peoples appreciation over certain entities can go … its interesting what is happening in the realm of high end consumerism yet not at all surprising.
You used a lot of big words to say nothing at all.
RIGHT to Repair will generally lower prices on modifiable pieces of Apple equipment, which is all the consumer wants. I don’t need 65GB of RAM in my devices. All I need is to be able to replace a phone battery if it’s dying because I don’t think it’s nessecary to fawn over a new device every year. I have a screen error? Great! I’ll replace the screen myself. Apple doesn’t need to know what I do with my device when it’s physically paid for and they have no say in how I use it.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
You used a lot of big words to say nothing at all.
RIGHT to Repair will generally lower prices on modifiable pieces of Apple equipment, which is all the consumer wants. I don’t need 65GB of RAM in my devices. All I need is to be able to replace a phone battery if it’s dying because I don’t think it’s nessecary to fawn over a new device every year. I have a screen error? Great! I’ll replace the screen myself. Apple doesn’t need to know what I do with my device when it’s physically paid for and they have no say in how I use it.

When was the last time a government mandate resulted in lower prices? It’s a pipe dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.