Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
What I’m failing to see is the difference between TikTok as a social media app vs any other American-spook filled platform. This entire industry is a parasite in how they operate and they’re all linked to security agencies anyway so I guess the problem here is just another “China bad” argument?
I guess you could say that, if by “bad” you mean a threat to US national security. So with that as the meaning, one can’t dismiss that argument with the word “just”. As I’ve said a few times in this thread now, I agree pretty much all social media companies have shady practices, but a potentially China-controlled social media app is fundamentally different from a US-based app because one is controlled by people who are just after money, the other is potentially controlled by people who actively want to compromise US national security. Completely different levels of security threats.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I guess you could say that, if by “bad” you mean a threat to US national security. So with that as the meaning, one can’t dismiss that argument with the word “just”. As I’ve said a few times in this thread now, I agree pretty much all social media companies have shady practices, but a potentially China-controlled social media app is fundamentally different from a US-based app because one is controlled by people who are just after money, the other is potentially controlled by people who actively want to compromise US national security. Completely different levels of security threats.
Google, Meta, Amazon, Reddit, etc. all chocked full of “former” intelligence agents.

I don’t subscribe to nationalism when it comes to manipulation of the public. I’m not turning a blind eye to spooks being in these positions, I just think they’re all manipulative bastards and I don’t support one or the other because one side can wave the flag of my country in front of me. I think that’s the difference in mindset between you and I.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Bennet goes on to cite a BuzzFeed News report

Ouch. Senator, you couldn’t find a better source?

Seriously though I would love to see it banned along with Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Their data mining and mental manipulation has done serious harm to the world.

Not bloody likely but it would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Noooo! But what about all the advantages those that don’t waste time on those platforms gain by just letting others dwell on it! (tongue in cheek)

I’m a contrarian on this.
While we can agree that it should never have existed (just like drugs, Twitter, Instagram and heavy alcohol abuse shouldn’t either), it is completely an individual’s choice to partake on a daily plunge of time wasted away… and even when the average human lifespan is only 72.6 years or 26,517 days (meaning that by 35yo you only have about ~13500 days left) people still want to partake on it… whether privacy is respected or not. To put it into perspective, if you spend ONE dollar a day as a 35yo you would only need $13500 to live until your deathbed is ready.

If you're on Android it's not a problem because you can just side load it. When Apple get forced to allow side loading then iOS users can do the same.

I know TikTok is bad but if they can ban TikTok then what's next? Having Apple/Google or a Government tell you what you can and can't download shouldn't be allowed.

Some people like to act like sideloading is evil and dangerous. It gives you freedom of choice.

That'd require too much effort it seems.
Phew! There’s some good news, god forbid those people start using all that newfound free time to fix their finances, upgrade their skills and craft, and become better and more productive members of society; that would mean more competition for you and me in general, and I would rather there be LESS competition.
Know what? I’ll bite, if it gets banned I’ll support sideloading with all my strength no matter what and even promote TikTok to be pre-sideloaded on new phones. Somewhat not fully joking.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
😂 With a rubber stamp warrant process that allows for 3 degrees of separation…which very quickly is just plain old mass surveillance.

There’s a lot of issues with China, but their leaders are held to account far and away more than American ones. That’s all I’ll say as this site doesn’t allow for political discussion anymore…
Their leaders are dictators. They censor 99% of online speech. Held to account? 🤣

Reactions: MacWiz_007

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Google, Meta, Amazon, Reddit, etc. all chocked full of “former” intelligence agents.

I don’t subscribe to nationalism when it comes to manipulation of the public. I’m not turning a blind eye to spooks being in these positions, I just think they’re all manipulative bastards and I don’t support one or the other because one side can wave the flag of my country in front of me. I think that’s the difference in mindset between you and I.
Just to be clear, I don’t support any social media platforms either, which is why I’m not on them. I think it would be great for society in general if they all shut down. The reason I’m only speaking out against Tik Tok in particular is because 1) I don’t believe there is any legal grounds to ban the US apps at the moment, and 2) again, I do believe the potential threat that Tik Tok poses is much higher, potentially up to compromising national security, for the reasons I’ve mentioned in this thread.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Just to be clear, I don’t support any social media platforms either, which is why I’m not on them. I think it would be great for society in general if they all shut down. The reason I’m only speaking out against Tik Tok in particular is because 1) I don’t believe there is any legal grounds to ban the US apps at the moment, and 2) again, I do believe the potential threat that Tik Tok poses is much higher, potentially up to compromising national security, for the reasons I’ve mentioned in this thread.
I agree with the first part, I’m also not on social media.

I just don’t subscribe to “national security”. Our Intelligence agencies are completely out of control and do not reflect the priorities of people, just hegemony. America is just 14 companies in a trench coat under the guise of a functional country.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
So the TikTok we get in the West is not the same as the TikTok in China and the TikTok in China has a different name 🤔
idk if they use a different name but yeah its not the same tiktok in the west. its used more for educational and career aspiration purposes, none of that dancing and silly stuffs we see in the west.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
idk if they use a different name but yeah its not the same tiktok in the west. its used more for educational and career aspiration purposes, none of that dancing and silly stuffs we see in the west.
Yeah, has a different name. Can't recall the name. Watched a video on it recently. The logo is a different colour logo, too. It's a different app. TikTok as we know it is not allowed in China.

Reactions: ilikewhey

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Yeah, has a different name. Can't recall the name. Watched a video on it recently. The logo is a different colour logo, too. It's a different app. TikTok as we know it is not allowed in China.
which makes sense from a marketing perspective, if this chinese tiktok has a ounce of educational and aspiration projection it surely don't want to be associated by name at least, to the western tiktok which literally just promotes nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: JapanApple

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
which makes sense from a marketing perspective, if this chinese tiktok has a ounce of educational and aspiration projection it surely don't want to be associated by name at least, to the western tiktok which literally just promotes nonsense.
It's full of weirdos and child groomers, too. My friend had to take her teen's phone away with what was happening to her on the app. I wouldn't be against them banning the app. I think short form video apps in general are one of the worst things to ever happen society.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
It's full of weirdos and child groomers, too. My friend had to take her teen's phone away with what was happening to her on the app. I wouldn't be against them banning the app. I think short form video apps in general are one of the worst things to ever happen society.
that just it though, its not just tiktok, you see tiktok style videos on youtube and instagram as well, banning tiktok isn't a viable solution anymore now that other platforms have jumped on this bandwagon. if you ban tiktok these users will just migrate over to other platform.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
😂 With a rubber stamp warrant process that allows for 3 degrees of separation…which very quickly is just plain old mass surveillance.

There’s a lot of issues with China, but their leaders are held to account far and away more than American ones. That’s all I’ll say as this site doesn’t allow for political discussion anymore…
Apple released data on how many requests they have got from the American government. That does not equate to mass surveillance. Not sure about the case with Google though.

dzankizakon

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Another step towards the slow fracture of global internet. More and more, internet looks drastically different depending on where you live.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple released data on how many requests they have got from the American government. That does not equate to mass surveillance. Not sure about the case with Google though.
Those are ones we’re somewhat allowed to know about.

Look up the National Security Letter programs. Any company that receives one isn’t allowed to let anyone know they’ve been requested.

After 9/11 they have the power to just wholesale tap communications (AT&T had rooms dedicated to it that only intelligence contractors were allowed into) and none of these authoritarian powered have ever been rolled back.

Data centers are fun.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Senators should ban the kind of data collection Tik Tok is doing. Until then, it’s just useless politization. If Facebook is allowed to collect data and use it to try swaying elections, that’s more of a threat than just about anything I can think of

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I hate TikTok but I don’t see this happening unless there is some serious proof to the national security claims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.