Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I figured out a while back that the phone is the issue. TikTok on phone? Addictive. TikTok on desktop? Meh. Same with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. I've sat up for hours at night scrolling social media on my phone...desktop version I barely check once a day...it turns from crack to broccoli on desktop.

Take social media from phones but allow them on desktop and so many problems would get better over night imo...and you still have full access to it. It's like a luxury car vs a Pinto, you still get the utility available just without all the fun addictive parts that make you wanna sit in it all day;)

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
No not really, my point is the US is quick to call out dictators, yet put dictators in power. They are quick to call out human right violations when the US itself is guilty of human right violations. The Us government is now wanting to ban tiktok because of the amount of data that is being collected, yet its no different then at google, facebook, and others collecting data

100% spot on.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Data flowing to the highest bidder is not true though. What really happens is advertisers can target ads based on region, age, gender, interests, etc. But they can’t really see who has those interests or what your individual interests are. The government can, with a warrant of course. But advertisers who bid for ad space can’t see you or your interests.

With respect to China, they don’t have any due process or democracy. They can look at anyone’s data, target individual users, influence public opinions and lot more.
😂 With a rubber stamp warrant process that allows for 3 degrees of separation…which very quickly is just plain old mass surveillance.

There’s a lot of issues with China, but their leaders are held to account far and away more than American ones. That’s all I’ll say as this site doesn’t allow for political discussion anymore…

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Social media reaches far into a culture’s mind, therefore it is a powerful tool to both extract information and implant ideas. Knowing this, I was very surprised when a Chinese social media app Tik Tok was allowed in the US. And shocked it took this long to start talking about banning it.
ANY country’s government should be very watchful and wary of this new extremely subtle but extremely powerful weapon. It’s a new type of modern warfare.
If anyone thinks this is an issue of America restricting freedom, then they should also allow spies to live in the US in the name of freedom and immigration rights.

I'm sorry but that argument doesn't make any sense. People watching Tik Tok are seeing content created in the US for the most part by US users. Are these US users spies who put information into their content to brainwash people?

Are movies made in China also going to be blocked from being seen?

Again, I don't care if its banned but the whole implanting of ideas seems a little far fetched to me. FaceBook and Google constantly lie about the data they collect and literally listen to you on their home enabled devices. But that is ok because they are American companies?

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
That’s utterly ridiculous. Google collects infinitely more data unscrupulously than Tiktok. While it has no business on government devices as THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR WORK, TikTok is fun and a pretty cool platform for everyone, especially people like the disabled that don’t otherwise have a voice. I don’t think the Chinese government gets much out of me watching The Corn 🌽 Song or Dog videos. Senator it’s none of your goddamn business. Buzz off, fascist.

Reactions: ilikewhey

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Good! We are better off without it. I feel like the App is spying on us and collecting the data on another level.

TikTok should be banned. Honestly, I don’t think it brings anything to this world. We waste so much time just on scrolling.
Wow, sounds pretty fascist to me. It’s none of your goddamn business what I do with my time

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, we should let mistreatment go on today because a tragic event happened 192 years ago
Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out that we here in the US are so quick to judge others, and point out how bad others are without looking in the mirror. MY issue is the hypocrisy for complaining about Tiktok because of the data being collected and yet not banning facebook, google, twitter

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out that we here in the US are so quick to judge others, and point out how bad others are without looking in the mirror. MY issue is the hypocrisy for complaining about Tiktok because of the data being collected and yet not banning facebook, google, twitter
Maybe the difference is because it's a foreign adversary associated with TikTok. Imagine a US nuclear scientist with teenagers in the house using TikTok. The data that can be collected via mic and location would be valuable to our enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: NT1440

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Maybe the difference is because it's a foreign adversary associated with TikTok. Imagine a US nuclear scientist with teenagers in the house using TikTok. The data that can be collected via mic and location would be valuable to our enemies.

That sounds serious.

So maybe he should use stronger language than "I ask that you remove TikTok from your respective app stores immediately."

Sounds like more of a request than a demand.

:p

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
By the time this is addressed by the government the kids will have moved on to the next social media platform. Of course the adults will linger on forever.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Seems like Facebook/Twitter have lobbyists in their back pocket, trying to ban a platform that’s eating their breakfast, lunch & dinner.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
TikTok has an American subsidiary which is bound to US law…like every multinational company that does business here does.

Samsung is South Korean, but to do business here they have a US subsidiary.

Are you sure you understand the basics of business?
I welcome any education on international business. How independent is an American subsidiary from their homeland parent company? Does the Chinese parent company Bytedance have basically no influence/access to US Tik Tok? Are they completely separate entities, just like Bytedance and FB? Also I wonder how much is done off the books and how much of that is traceable and enforceable by the US government. I don’t know how basic this information is.

In any case, there was reports of Bytedance having control over Tik Tok, I guess more than is appropriate/allowed.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I welcome any education on international business. How independent is an American subsidiary from their homeland parent company? Does the Chinese parent company Bytedance have basically no influence/access to US Tik Tok? Are they completely separate entities, just like Bytedance and FB? Also I wonder how much is done off the books and how much of that is traceable and enforceable by the US government. I don’t know how basic this information is.

In any case, there was reports of Bytedance having control over Tik Tok, I guess more than is appropriate/allowed.
What I’m failing to see is the difference between TikTok as a social media app vs any other American-spook filled platform. This entire industry is a parasite in how they operate and they’re all linked to security agencies anyway so I guess the problem here is just another “China bad” argument?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm sorry but that argument doesn't make any sense. People watching Tik Tok are seeing content created in the US for the most part by US users. Are these US users spies who put information into their content to brainwash people?

Are movies made in China also going to be blocked from being seen?

Again, I don't care if its banned but the whole implanting of ideas seems a little far fetched to me. FaceBook and Google constantly lie about the data they collect and literally listen to you on their home enabled devices. But that is ok because they are American companies?
There are two possible general ways I’m aware of in which people can use a social media platform to purposely influence its users. One was what Russians did when they influenced the presidential election—creating networks of fake FB accounts to manufacture news and sentiments. The other is the company designing the algorithm to give more visibility and reward to certain types of content (and vice versa, censorship to undesirable content). This could be for the purpose of getting US citizens to think a certain way or value certain things that China would find strategically advantageous in either the near or long term. These are odd new ideas to think about because this has only become possible in recent years of history. I’m not saying it is definitely happening, but if these strategies are at all possible, it should be taken very very seriously and not hand-waved away like some people seem to be trying to do. There is too much at stake. If it is possible, some nation will try to exploit it, and there’s a decent chance that a nation as resourceful and motivated as China is already at it. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the US is at it as well.
This article actually alleges some exploits by Tik Tok’s parent company, as well as suggests possible future exploits that I never thought of:

The Chinese movie market is not big in the US. Also movies are a much more difficult tool for a government to utilize. Tik Tok is extremely influential and social media can be a much more sophisticated and powerful tool, especially for this day and age.

Again, I’m sure American companies use many of the same tactics, and that’s very bad, but the difference is they are just in it for money. They have no intention to put the US under the foot of another nation, nor are they under the compulsion of an authoritarian government that would love that. So the potential threat levels are very different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.