Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I feel it's a bit odd that we will discuss banning TikTok because it's likely giving data to China, but we know 100% for certain, proven in court, that Facebook is selling even more data to third party companies, who are operating with China, and nobody is calling out for Facebook and Instagram to be banned.

Is it only bad when China funnels data to China? It's not bad when Americans funnel data to China via some wealthy companies?

The other issue is we sit and call China a terrible country because they ban apps from operating in it. So in response to this, we're going to ban apps from operating within our countries. Man, it doesn't look good when you write it down, does it?
It’s not great that data from FB goes to countries like China, but there’s a huge difference of scale for one thing. At least FB can select what data to release, knowing that they are under US law that can land them in a world of hurt for sharing the wrong information. Even up to treason.
Tik Tok automatically has EVERYTHING on their unwitting American users, and no consequences for secretly sharing it with the Chinese government. Actually, probably consequences for NOT sharing it.

You think banning apps is really why America calls China terrible?? No, it’s the economic threat they pose, and genocide, things of that nature.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I don't really care about anti-China hysteria, and there's no doubt that if TikTok were based somewhere else (but was otherwise the same data-harvesting mind-numbing influence that it is), there'd be no calls to ban it. That said, TikTok is horrible and I won't miss it, so I have no issue with banning it.

Last edited:

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
i’m a millennial and i do use tiktok, but i can’t say i would be too sad if it gets banned.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Seems like a good time to work out a deal — we’ll remove the app if Congress drops all current and future legislation regarding our App Store operation.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Social media reaches far into a culture’s mind, therefore it is a powerful tool to both extract information and implant ideas. Knowing this, I was very surprised when a Chinese social media app Tik Tok was allowed in the US. And shocked it took this long to start talking about banning it.
ANY country’s government should be very watchful and wary of this new extremely subtle but extremely powerful weapon. It’s a new type of modern warfare.
If anyone thinks this is an issue of America restricting freedom, then they should also allow spies to live in the US in the name of freedom and immigration rights.

Reactions: MacWiz_007

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Data flowing to the highest bidder is not true though. What really happens is advertisers can target ads based on region, age, gender, interests, etc. But they can’t really see who has those interests or what your individual interests are. The government can, with a warrant of course. But advertisers who bid for ad space can’t see you or your interests.

With respect to China, they don’t have any due process or democracy. They can look at anyone’s data, target individual users, influence public opinions and lot more.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
It’s not great that data from FB goes to countries like China, but there’s a huge difference of scale for one thing. At least FB can select what data to release, knowing that they are under US law that can land them in a world of hurt for sharing the wrong information. Even up to treason.

Knowing they are under US Law did not stop them sharing data illegal (both illegal in the US and EU) to Cambridge Analytica. And I know what you'll say - oh that's a UK company, not China. And yeah, it is. But it's also the the thing they got caught on. What have they not been caught on? What were the repercussions? They paid $750m to settle the legal battles. Meanwhile, they had $84bn in revenue. So they didn't even notice the fines.

People here hilariously think that Facebook are obeying laws just because they're American laws and that there are actually repercussions for violating them. We know for a cold hard fact this isn't the case because it literally happened. But tell me more about how Meta is fine, but TikTok evil.

Reactions: ilikewhey

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Speculation without fact is dangerous. Same idiots thought the election was stolen.

Stick to the facts.
Cool, I'll stick to the facts.

Facebook illegally sells your data (see: Cambridge Analytica) and Facebook illegally collects your data without consent (see: Shadow Profiles which they admitted to collecting during the Camridge Analytica scandal).

So we know Facebook is doing it. And we're speculating TikTok is doing it. But only one of these is being asked to be banned? Why is that? Tell me without speculating.

Reactions: ilikewhey

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Knowing they are under US Law did not stop them sharing data illegal (both illegal in the US and EU) to Cambridge Analytica. And I know what you'll say - oh that's a UK company, not China. And yeah, it is. But it's also the the thing they got caught on. What have they not been caught on? What were the repercussions? They paid $750m to settle the legal battles. Meanwhile, they had $84bn in revenue. So they didn't even notice the fines.

People here hilariously think that Facebook are obeying laws just because they're American laws and that there are actually repercussions for violating them. We know for a cold hard fact this isn't the case because it literally happened. But tell me more about how Meta is fine, but TikTok evil.
Who said Meta is fine? I said there’s a huge difference in scale. Yes, FB broke/breaks laws but imagine what they would do if they WEREN’T under any US law, which is what TikTok is, except worse, they are under CHINESE law. This makes Tik Tok much much more dangerous and absolutely in need of banning. FB should be punished and regulated for sure, and maybe banned, but because the US has power over FB, banning is not at all as urgent. It’s like a teen that steals from mom and dad vs a home intruder—one wants to see them dead. They’re both bad but not in the same boat.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
Good! We are better off without it. I feel like the App is spying on us and collecting the data on another level.
Oh ok, you feel that. Then I guess we better ban it!

Norway's minister of justice is currently getting flak for having TikTok installed on her work phone.
Yeah, rules are pretty lax around here. In Denmark, it’s the same way.

For example, it would only take a slight tweak to the "algorithm" to boost content that is favourable to the CCP. Or to promote content that is favourable to the CCP's preferred candidate at the next US election.
How do you propose that would work? How simple are we talking about and how many votes do you feel this might change, in a close to 50-50 vote society?

You know they can stop it there too right?
(on Safari.) not really, though. It would be totally unprecedented and not really enforceable due to VPNs etc.

I blame the government agency that gave her the phone. Policies can be set up that restrict which apps you can. / can't install.
(The Norwegian minister.) yes well… they apparently watched less spy movies in Scandinavia, or something :p

So comforting to know that there are Americans that could care less about National Security.
Yeah, maybe detain them and use the capital punishment to prevent this. That’s often done in some other countries. Something to strive for. Fun aside, it would have to be demonstrated to be a national security risk. I haven’t seen that. Just claims.

Knowing they are under US Law did not stop them sharing data illegal (both illegal in the US and EU) to Cambridge Analytica
CA obtained this data via the app platform, without Facebook’s direct involvement.

Facebook illegally sells your data (see: Cambridge Analytica)
CA obtained the data via the app platform, without any trade or other compensation.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don't know, Google and Facebook steal users data all day every day and none of these Senators seem to mind. This seems more like big tech lobbying these senators because of the ad revenue that Tik Tok has taken from them. No matter what they try they can't copy or make anything as popular as Tik Tok so they want it shut down.
It’s a fine theory, but I think it doesn’t take into account fundamental differences between American and foreign, especially Chinese companies, and the potential threats that they pose.

I explained my position in these previous posts:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Read about the trail of tears and how we as a nation treated the native population
From what I understand the truly horrible thing is that the British(US) Law only protects its citizens and thus excludes the native population. So technically no "laws" have been broken which makes it even worse.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Only American companies and spy agencies should be allowed to collect data on Americans! /brain dead take

Reactions: maflynn

macos9rules

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
What kind of data can they collect? I don't know much about TikTok, but as far as I know, it's mainly about weird dances, cute pets and other funny videos.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Facebook illegally sells your data (see: Cambridge Analytica) and Facebook illegally collects your data without consent (see: Shadow Profiles which they admitted to collecting during the Camridge Analytica scandal).

So we know Facebook is doing it. And we're speculating TikTok is doing it. But only one of these is being asked to be banned? Why is that? Tell me without speculating.
Don't forget about Tax filing websites have been sending users’ financial information to Facebook But no lets worry about supposed foreign nefarious nerdowells collecting data

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who said Meta is fine? I said there’s a huge difference in scale. Yes, FB broke/breaks laws but imagine what they would do if they WEREN’T under any US law, which is what TikTok is, except worse, they are under CHINESE law. This makes Tik Tok much much more dangerous and absolutely in need of banning. FB should be punished and regulated for sure, and maybe banned, but because the US has power over FB, banning is not at all as urgent. It’s like a teen that steals from mom and dad vs a home intruder—one wants to see them dead. They’re both bad but not in the same boat.
TikTok has an American subsidiary which is bound to US law…like every multinational company that does business here does.

Samsung is South Korean, but to do business here they have a US subsidiary.

Are you sure you understand the basics of business?

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
TikTok has an American subsidiary which is bound to US law…like every multinational company that does business here does.

Samsung is South Korean, but to do business here they have a US subsidiary.

Are you sure you understand the basics of business?
This thread is filled with self declared political and law experts who can barely string a sentence together. We still don't have an answer on why TikTok should be banned over any other social network. Other than "China bad".

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
I believe since September 1, 2021, it has been a law in China that any Chinese entity processing data, in big or small amounts, is perpetually obliged to record and present that information to whatever extent the CCP government deems necessary.

Given that fact, why on earth was TikTok even initially allowed to proliferate the way it did, I will never understand. The damage is long done and that ship has already sailed.
Really?. I have never seen it for real. Seems a bit Trum-ian actually.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
How much is paranoia and how much it is real?. Are there actual facts beyond “it is chinese, therefore controlled by the evil incarnated government!!!”?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
You cannot rationalize human right violations and senseless deaths simply because it happened a while ago. wrong is wrong

So, we should let mistreatment go on today because a tragic event happened 192 years ago (it’s safe to say that no one alive today participated in the event, was alive then to fight to stop it, nor is anyone that participated is alive
today) ?

Most of us here get it. We study history to keep bad events from happening again. We don’t study history to justify wrong doings of today by wrong doings of yesteryears.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

Um, it wasn’t on The View, therefore it’s not a fact…

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
I honestly don’t get the point of TikTok, it’s loads of pointless random videos, where some seem to contain misinformation and alleged ‘harassment’ at gyms.

Reactions: Razorpit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.