Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Good. The CCP is an enemy of the United States and its people. We shouldn't allow tic Tok, them to own US property, take their students into our schools, or make products in that country.
Yet no one wants to blame greedy American capitalists for being the ones that sent all the work to China for better profits and stock prices which did nothing to help American workers or wages.... Nope just blame China.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I feel it's a bit odd that we will discuss banning TikTok because it's likely giving data to China, but we know 100% for certain, proven in court, that Facebook is selling even more data to third party companies, who are operating with China, and nobody is calling out for Facebook and Instagram to be banned.

Is it only bad when China funnels data to China? It's not bad when Americans funnel data to China via some wealthy companies?

The other issue is we sit and call China a terrible country because they ban apps from operating in it. So in response to this, we're going to ban apps from operating within our countries. Man, it doesn't look good when you write it down, does it?

Speculation without fact is dangerous. Same idiots thought the election was stolen.

Stick to the facts.

Reactions: cyanite

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I believe since September 1, 2021, it has been a law in China that any Chinese entity processing data, in big or small amounts, is perpetually obliged to record and present that information to whatever extent the CCP government deems necessary.

Given that fact, why on earth was TikTok even initially allowed to proliferate the way it did, I will never understand. The damage is long done and that ship has already sailed.
us does the same with patriot act, they just call it a possible national security and slap it on whatever they deem fit.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Where have I heard this before? I wonder what's (D)ifferent now....

Oh 100%. When the previous administrations was trying to get it banned people were up in arms in here claiming fascism and Xenophobia!! Now that it’s a (D)ifferent group making this request it’s all “Yeah get rid of it!!!l. China is stealing our data!!”

I don’t use it either way and don’t care but the comments sure are a lot different now.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Instead of funneling data to a company based in China, they would rather you funnel data to a company based in the US so they can filter and extract the data they need to keep tabs on you. The US does some of the same things that China does, they're just not so open about it. The US violates it's fair share of human rights too you know!

That being said, China is not our friend and overall I think they're worse. But if these politicians are so concerned about this, then they need to craft legislation instead of trying to order companies around. It needs to be clear.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The trail of tears was abhorrent, you will receive no argument from me but that is a false equivalence.
No not really, my point is the US is quick to call out dictators, yet put dictators in power. They are quick to call out human right violations when the US itself is guilty of human right violations. The Us government is now wanting to ban tiktok because of the amount of data that is being collected, yet its no different then at google, facebook, and others collecting data

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Personally, I believe all data from Australian users of any social media company should be banned if such companies are selling the data to other companies connected to Chinese ownership. I use Tiktok, have for some time, but not after reading that letter. Australia has faced the CCPs aggressiveness and threats, they are not a force for good in the world.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
So like MySpace did, and Facebook and Instagram... but those are fine because they aren't Chinese right?

Also no, its not banned in China.
It is banned in China. In China the app has a different name and runs on a different set of rules. You cannot download TikTok in China. It is suggested you can if you look up monthly user numbers, but the Chinese app runs on an entirely different database.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
Yeah see you gave us evidence that you do not understand this even in the slightest with this statement: “While China may be able to access high school kid’s drama”

Also, let me fill you in on a tidbit; the state bans innumerable things that would be detrimental to yourself or fellow citizens, of which you’re too ignorant or just don’t know yourself. For example those who understand drugs and the inherent risks of developing them do not allow you as a citizen to be killed by untested drugs so they bad their sale. This goes for innumerable other things you aren’t aware of that would kill you.

Then there are the numerous things the government bans that could cause you to be harmed in innumerable other ways.

Now go get your pitch forks and start a march!!!!!!
I guess the sarcasm didn’t translate over type when I said “…access high school kid’s drama”. I’m poking fun at the plethora of Millennials who hang out on that platform.

Let me also clarify that my statement on State banning is contextual, so it’s relating to apps [and/or freedom of speech]. We’re not talking about schedule 1 drugs, trading of human organs, naked short selling, etc.

So I would say, take a chill pill, don’t get so worked up 😋

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.