Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Looks like we're in for it now in the foothills and summits of the Catskills and Adirondack Mountains in NY... soon aka the "park and dump" spots for the incoming collisions of three different fronts which will leave us with 12-24" of fresh what to ski on at the slopes later on, for anyone who can actually unearth their car after the storms depart on Monday night. I wouldn't mind if they got this forecast all wrong but they just stretched it out from Sun-Mon to midnight Monday so... not being a skier, I'm planning on a few "dinner and movie" outings that don't take me much farther than from pantry to kitchen to couch! A bit early in the season for this fat of a snowdump, but maybe that means an open time for pre-holiday shopping ahead. One can hope, anyway. Y'all Canadians need to save some of this stuff for a white Christmas, no?

The park and dump spots, pick one!.jpg

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Looks like we're in for it now in the foothills and summits of the Catskills and Adirondack Mountains in NY... soon aka the "park and dump" spots for the incoming collisions of three different fronts which will leave us with 12-24" of fresh what to ski on at the slopes later on, for anyone who can actually unearth their car after the storms depart on Monday night. I wouldn't mind if they got this forecast all wrong but they just stretched it out from Sun-Mon to midnight Monday so... not being a skier, I'm planning on a few "dinner and movie" outings that don't take me much farther than from pantry to kitchen to couch! A bit early in the season for this fat of a snowdump, but maybe that means an open time for pre-holiday shopping ahead. One can hope, anyway. Y'all Canadians need to save some of this stuff for a white Christmas, no?

I live in Utica, and this is what we are looking at, per The Weather Channel:

* WHAT...Heavy snow and mixed precipitation possible. Total snow and sleet accumulations of 6 to 12 inches. A light glaze of ice is also possible.

* WHERE...Northern Oneida, Onondaga, Madison and Southern Oneida counties.

* WHEN...From Sunday morning through Monday evening.

I can handle the snow (don't like it-but can handle it), but I hate sleet and ice!

I will also be having a couple "dinner and movie" nights myself...kitchen to living room, haha! Only thing is, I have to get my butt to the grocery store later today after I watch my #1 Ohio State Buckeyes! #GoBuckeyes

Anyway, I guess I will take what we are supposed to get over that 12-24" you are supposed to get!

God bless all of you in the path of this storm, and be safe!

:apple:

Reactions: satcomer and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I can handle the snow (don't like it-but can handle it), but I hate sleet and ice!

Yah I don't like icing either, or at least not when it builds up enough to break power lines and wreck trees or lilac plantings. Fortunately in the western Catskills we don't get as much of that as down in the southeastern Catskills, places like Monticello, NY... in that neighborhood they call that town the ice capital of the world. Pretty to look at after the fact if you're taking 86 (old 17) upstate and west, it can look like a winter wonderland scene worthy of Hollywood set designer, but I remember once back in the pre-cellphone days having to take a piece of 2x4 to a phone booth at a gas station to hammer nearly 2" of ice off it to get the door open. At least the thing worked after I went to the trouble!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Yah I don't like icing either, or at least not when it builds up enough to break power lines and wreck trees or lilac plantings. Fortunately in the western Catskills we don't get as much of that as down in the southeastern Catskills, places like Monticello, NY... in that neighborhood they call that town the ice capital of the world. Pretty to look at after the fact if you're taking 86 (old 17) upstate and west, it can look like a winter wonderland scene worthy of Hollywood set designer, but I remember once back in the pre-cellphone days having to take a piece of 2x4 to a phone booth at a gas station to hammer nearly 2" of ice off it to get the door open. At least the thing worked after I went to the trouble!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember the ice storm of 1998 (I believe I have that date right-correct me if I wrong) and seeing the footage of that...it was nuts. We only got a little bit of ice, nothing like everyone else affected, but even that was a real pain in the a$$!

I remember Niagra Mohawk (NiMo) called in just about all their trucks at the time. I also remember that power trucks (and other resources) from a lot of other states came up to help, because it was really a disaster. Some people did not have power for months, and I really want to say others went a year without power from the lines, but the state gave generators to the people who had to wait months and a year for power from the lines.

That was truly a crazy situation!

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember the ice storm of 1998 (I believe I have that date right-correct me if I wrong) and seeing the footage of that...it was nuts. We only got a little bit of ice, nothing like everyone else affected, but even that was a real pain in the a$$!

I remember Niagra Mohawk (NiMo) called in just about all their trucks at the time. I also remember that power trucks (and other resources) from a lot of other states came up to help, because it was really a disaster. Some people did not have power for months, and I really want to say others went a year without power from the lines, but the state gave generators to the people who had to wait months and a year for power from the lines.

That was truly a crazy situation!

I think that's the year of that storm, yep. It took a long time for some of the forest areas through there to recover. Something around five million acres of woodlands got hit by icing up to 3" thick. A lot of those trees were standing driftwood, basically and had to be logged out. Hoping we are spared that kind of event this time around. Schoharie County a bit south of your area is I think one of the ones with the worst snow accumulation forecasts, and it's tough to handle power outages up there. It's really rural and a lot of open spaces with drift potential so hard to get to when icing drops lines. So far I don't see icing forecasts for anything over 1/2" which is bad enough.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Anyway, I guess I will take what we are supposed to get over that 12-24" you are supposed to get!

Well, NWS has now extended the warning area north of the Catskills and eastward as well so looks like you guys northeast of here (plus VT, NH and even parts of MA) might get about what my own neighborhood's forecast to get, something over 15" of snowfall by time the storm departs Monday evening. Pretty much all of upstate NY from western areas of Finger Lakes on east will see a lot of snow... except for the far north country, looks like at the moment. Ma Nature must saving something special for them later, because they NEVER get off easy by time winter's done.

Wow I really wouldn't mind if this forecast was hyped. It's pretty early in the season for this gig. Of course everyone from California to the Midwest has been saying since earlier in the week... now it's our turn.

Oops filled in the gaps between ranges.jpg

• Sad

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Fine in the DMV

That it is; chilly and cloudy all day with only a couple of very brief and scanty episodes of light "spitting" of rain/sleet, but that was it. Tomorrow is supposed to be a good day to stay indoors as it will be rainy and nasty most of the day. Ugh! That said, I'lltake the rain rather than being assaulted by snow and ice the way many other areas will be.....

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
warming trend here, 50F+ on monday

bright sunshine even today! Last few days have been drab cloudy here and the street ice lingers. Especially on my fav side streets and alley ways making my city navigation a challenge.

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
This storm has only been going on for about two hours now, but there is already substantial amounts of snow accumulation, and the wind and wind gusts are no joke either. If today is supposed to be the "lighter" day of the storm, I fear what tomorrow may bring!

Right now I have about 50-70 yards of visibility when I look out my balcony (7th floor of my apt. building) sliding glass door.

It is also COLD out there. 21 degrees, however, with the windchill it feels like 6.8 degrees!

Since the NFL games that are on right now in my area do not interest me, I think it is time to put a good movie on! Any recommendations?

PS: @LizKat, how are you and your area doing so far?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
PS: @LizKat, how are you and your area doing so far?

Well I think we're just south of a line they drew today north of which the forecast was for the heaviest snowfall for the Sunday part of this storm. So we've maybe five inches on the ground now at best, and it's in the mid-20s still. I've not looked out recently but I didn't hear plows in the past few hours, so I think their forecast was correct about an evening gap in snowfall. It's supposed to pick up after midnight here, so then 3 inches overnight, 5 more tomorrow daytime and an inch or two Monday night as it winds down. If that's right, then we'll end up with about 14-15" and I'll breathe a sigh of relief, not too bad even if more than one would expect for this time of year. Sounds like Schoharie county and northward up by you will have ended up with more of the shifting snowbands overall. Good luck!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well because of the Winter snow storm some idiot ran into a electrical poll that knocked out power to half the NYS county! I’m convinced just because you have all wheel drive/4 wheel drive doesn’t mean you go fast! You have to be able to stop at lest 10 car lengths between cars in road! Remember in snow think like the fairy tail of the hair and tortoise, slow and steady wins the race in snow!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well because of the Winter snow storm some idiot ran into a electrical poll that knocked out power to half the NYS county! I’m convinced just because you have all wheel drive/4 wheel drive doesn’t mean you go fast! You have to be able to stop at lest 10 car lengths between cars in road! Remember in snow think like the fairy tail of the hair and tortoise, slow and steady wins the race in snow!

There were apparently so many of those collisions that NYSEG included in one of their emailed alerts about the storm a warning about slowing down while driving in the snow... saying they had already had to send out dozens of crews around the area to deal with the broken-pole-downed-lines problem caused by drivers taking roads too fast and hitting utility poles.

(and yeah the idea of leaving 10 car lengths between vehicles never occurs to anyone any more, apparently, and even if you do it, then someone will try to pass and fill up the space!)

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
There were apparently so many of those collisions that NYSEG included in one of their emailed alerts about the storm a warning about slowing down while driving in the snow... saying they had already had to send out dozens of crews around the area to deal with the broken-pole-downed-lines problem caused by drivers taking roads too fast and hitting utility poles.

(and yeah the idea of leaving 10 car lengths between vehicles never occurs to anyone any more, apparently, and even if you do it, then someone will try to pass and fill up the space!)

I say the 10 car lengths because one has to be able to stop in snow covered roads in time!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Blah this winter has already sucked and it's just started.

we had our first snowfall in mid november. dumped a good 10-15cm. nothing too serious but it was early in the year.

looked good for the rest of november, but this week we got blasted in the face by a Colorado low. unfortunately the meteorologists completely missed predicted it.

We were supposed to get about 5-10cm of combination of freezing rain and snow on sunday, and then overnight was supposed to clear up and be a little rainy on monday.

instead, we got about 10cm of freezing rain snow, and then another 10-15cm of snow that lasted throughout monday.

Completely ****ed over my back again having to shovel 3 days straight a mix of slushy, wet, damp snow.

York Region police (my area) reported that Sunday had reports of 400 collisions. Monday saw an additional 500 collisions.

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I say the 10 car lengths because one has to be able to stop in snow covered roads in time!

Yes, and there are idiots who still think they can stop on a dime in accumulating snow!

I was thinking of the snowy night I was driving upstate along Cat Hollow, a 2-lane county road, about a quarter mile or so from a T intersection with State Route 30, where one's choices are to stop and then make a left or right on Route 30,,,, or else lol "just keep going"... and land in the Pepacton Reservoir.

It was along my regular commute upstate on weekends, and I had been keeping a good 20 car lengths back from the pickup truck in front of me as we approached that intersection. But to my dismay I suddenly saw another vehicle's lights looming in my rear view. I slowed down even more and edged slightly right to give him room to go around me despite our being in a no-passing zone. He did impatiently swing out and around --so at least he didn't rear-end my car-- but he then charged on until he was tailgating the pickup, who apparently also realized what was about to happen so he moved left into the empty oncoming lane and came to a full stop, at which point both he and I got to witness the reckless driver jam on his brakes, slide through what was supposed to be a full stop, meanwhile doing a series of 360s, with each one advancing a bit more across the state road while veering a bit north.

I'm not sure that guy even realized there was a reservoir on the other side of the guardrail that he finally caromed off as he emerged from the spin, then tried to back up, apparently meaning to head south but couldn't get traction and so just continued north instead. No clue if the guy knew either how far it would be along Route 30 north before he could turn around. I felt blessed that he either didn't know where he was heading, or that he did but was not going where I was, or at least not without making some interesting maneuvers to turn around on an ill-plowed road at that hour.

As the pickup driver and and I slowly resumed our respective journeys south on 30, I saw him briefly take his hands off the wheel and give a palms-up shrug, then wave in the mirror to me. I nodded and returned the wave and then hung back to get my 20 car lengths behind him. I was praying that the idiot heading north hadn't decided to make a U-turn and come barreling down Route 30 to fill in that gap AGAIN as the pickup driver and I both slowed down once more while approaching a village.

Fortunately the only other drivers I saw on that trip acted like they knew how to drive in the snow that accumulates on the road before the plows make another round. That other car driver was really really reckless.. and lucky! It was before the time of cell phones, so it would have taken either the pickup driver or me a good ten minutes to get down to the village and a substation of the state troopers to report the incident if that guy's car had breached the guardrail. There's nothing on the other side but a steep cliff down to the inlet of a creek to the reservoir.

Reactions: I7guy and chown33

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I know people with Pickups around here but most them do the old trick of putting bags of salt/cement in the back end! I’m glad those guys had good fathers that taught them the old tricks of winter driving!

Reactions: LizKat

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I know people with Pickups around here but most them do the old trick of putting bags of salt/cement in the back end! I’m glad those guys had good fathers that taught them the old tricks of winter driving!

you should have seen the nutters today in pickups slipping and sliding their back ends out in just 2-3cm of snow

seriously,we have so many people here who buy bigass SUV's, pickup trucks etc, thinking that they'll be great in winter, but don't have any ****ing clue how to actually drive them or prep them for the weather

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well it‘s becoming absolutely crazy with the weather here in Finger Lakes! Snow on ground and ow it’s above Freezing today and it’s raining! This is nuts and dreading once then Sun goes down it will all freeze again tonight!

No driving tonight that’s for sure!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hit low 70s today (like a 25 degree swing from this morning). I was outside in shorts and a T-shirt ... mowing :D (last one for the year, I would think ... but maybe not).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hit low 70s today (like a 25 degree swing from this morning). I was outside in shorts and a T-shirt ... mowing :D (last one for the year, I would think ... but maybe not).

Heh. That was us back in late October.... thinking Indian Summer was going to last forever, liking the lingering warmth, but not being a real fan of the idea of still having to mow the lawn in November?!

But than came December and that early snowdump! And now of course a thaw.... So, next up for me: when will enough rain have fallen so that plus the melt of a foot of snow will flood my cellar?

So far I think I'm just barely going to escape having to set up the sponge pump and garden hose. The outside temp is dropping so looks to be below freezing by dark and then down into the teens overnight, after two days of 40ºF and above... and rain steadily falling on what was around a foot of snow before the drifts from the December 1-2 storm. The ground's not frozen yet but the amount of water is almost too much for the soil to handle at the rate it's being asked to carry it down to nearest creeks and streams. The driveways could be skating rinks tomorrow if the rain doesn't let up before the temps plummet.

Heh, what we don't go through up here... all just to help NYC get enough drinking water LOL.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’ve had enough of this weather already. Last night I had to get the canoe out to get the mail, two nights ago scraping ice off the cars. Heading to Phoenix to enjoy some Arizona winter weather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.