Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I hate winter.

it's barely began, but really. Enough. going from 7c, to -10, than back to 6, than back to -10 in the course of a couple weeks, CAN REALLY STOP NOW

rain, sleet, hail, snow, back to rain, to ice rain, to freezing rain to snow, to hail to rain and back again, GETS REALLY OLD REALLY FAST.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I hate winter.

it's barely began, but really. Enough. going from 7c, to -10, than back to 6, than back to -10 in the course of a couple weeks, CAN REALLY STOP NOW

rain, sleet, hail, snow, back to rain, to ice rain, to freezing rain to snow, to hail to rain and back again, GETS REALLY OLD REALLY FAST.

LOL well thanks for shipping your leftovers across the pond. How'd you do that, anyway?! The weather here's supposed to come from the west... :)

Anyway what we're getting is supposed to arrive later tonight and dump four inches of snow, some freezing rain and sleet, then more snow into Wednesday, by which time I will not enjoy taking the trash out to the roadside for pickup.

whine:
why always on a Wednesday the scenic snowdrifts... why not on a Sunday or Monday.
/whine

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Update: I should have saved much more of my whine capability for the past three overnights that were hovering just above 0ºF. I welcome the solstice and look forward to lengthening daylight but what a price upfront this year!

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
good an bad

good: we had no moisture since Novembe! we got 2" of snow over night
bad: no de icer or plowing on the streets. weather forecast for the next day or so is >32f degree .

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Went out for a drive/supplies/tools yesterday, the car showed 66°, but it was amazingly sunny day, and in the direct sun (top down of course :D), it felt like it was 80! I wa wearing shorts and a T and I was actually __hot__.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty hecking cold up on my mountain in California. Can't say I'm overly fond of this weather as I moved away from my home state to avoid such snowfall.

snowedin.png

Reactions: LizKat

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I opened my blinds this morning I was startled by the sight of a neighbor running by with his dog -- and he was wearing shorts. Wow, I thought, SHORTS?!!! Turns out that, yep, it was 65 degrees -- amazing!!! -- and so I promptly opened my bedroom windows a bit and my sliding door as well. Feels great! I know this won't last but hey, I'll take it while I can!

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It’s been mostly cloudy and “looks” like it should be cold, but it’s been really warm and kind of humid. Then when it’s gonna be sunny it’s gonna be colder, go figure.
7E8F1A9D-EF6B-417E-BB09-4B717FE3ACC3.jpeg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We're supposedly in or around the midpoint of a three-day ice storm but for once the Western Catskills at or below altitude 2200' are being spared most icing: the collision of two fronts has kept us a bit too warm, up around 32-34ºF and I'm not complaining! So far whatever icing has occurred in the region has not affected power supply around here, another blessing. Even as night has settled in the temperature has continued to rise, it's almost 36ºF at the moment.

ice storm dec 30.jpg

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
We're supposedly in or around the midpoint of a three-day ice storm but for once the Western Catskills at or below altitude 2200' are being spared most icing: the collision of two fronts has kept us a bit too warm, up around 32-34ºF and I'm not complaining! So far whatever icing has occurred in the region has not affected power supply around here, another blessing. Even as night has settled in the temperature has continued to rise, it's almost 36ºF at the moment.

It’s nice and pretty in the Catskills.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
At the moment in the Catskills it's 61ºF, which is certainly nice but pretty insane. More usual temperature outside at night around here in January is 10-15ºF. We're supposed to get thunderstorms tonight and another half an inch of rain.

But no worries, after that back to regular January and by Thursday forecast for the overnight is 15.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
HAHAHAHA... that video is good!

Yup, it has been in the mid to high 40's in southern cal... Some areas have had snow! For me, anything below 70 is freezing! LOL

Seventy? I'd settle for seventeen right about now! Supposed to be a whole big three degrees above zero here before daylight. A "three dog night" as some call it. I'm fresh out of dogs (and cats), so I'm about to head upstairs and settle for two extra quilts. The cats were always worthless as bed warmers anyway; they expected me to go up first and do that before they'd condescend to come up and check it out.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So two days ago I was thinking how great (if weird) it has been that I've only had my driveways plowed once all season so far, even with a bunch of cold spells. Right so I get up today and see that starting late tonight the whole area's to be blanketed with rain turning here to a snow dump of up to 8" by time it clears out on Friday. Maybe I should stop thinking loudly enough for the weather gods to hear me?!

Anyway happy I started the day with a really early glance at the weather because it gave me enough time to get an order in to re-up on some fresh produce, eggs and bread before the roads get dicey.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll end up with a drought in spring if we don't get a few more snow storms. First time I can think of in over 30 years we haven't had at least four or five plow-worthy snowstorms in the Catskills by early February.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It’s been 24F on my way in to work to the California high desert in the mornings. That’s pretty cold for us Californians as I usually wake up to 50F here ”down the hill” before my drive up the hill.

The older I get the more the cold affects me. I’m still pretty fat... if I ever go back to my marriage weight (40+ pounds lighter)... I just remember always being cold.

Looks like we’ll be getting some rain this Sunday!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Last night it was so cold, that my weather app invented a new number...

View attachment 892784

That's hilarious! As if just plain zero would be the sign of a heat wave?

We're right around 25ºF or so now and there's just a tad of ice left in the precip as it gives over to all snow from some freezing rain we had for about half an hour. I'm happy the temps are dropping as the snow swings in, the one thing I really don't like is ice glazing the trees and taking out power lines.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Seventy? I'd settle for seventeen right about now! Supposed to be a whole big three degrees above zero here before daylight. A "three dog night" as some call it. I'm fresh out of dogs (and cats), so I'm about to head upstairs and settle for two extra quilts. The cats were always worthless as bed warmers anyway; they expected me to go up first and do that before they'd condescend to come up and check it out.

What you need there, are dogs that have been raised with, or think they are, (or might be) cats; they will keep beds warm without expecting you to embark upon the necessary labour first.

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Last night it was so cold, that my weather app invented a new number...

View attachment 892784
I've had that happen a lot ? I might have an explanation for you. I have an automation set up that has Siri read me the weather and upcoming events as soon as my alarm is stopped in the morning. When it speaks the temperature, it doesn't just say a whole, rounded number. For instance, a few weeks ago, the app said -0, but Siri read the temperature as "negative 0.8 degrees Fahrenheit." And then another morning, it showed as 0 without the negative, and Siri read the temperature as something like "0.5 degrees Fahrenheit".

The detail of "tenths of a degree" are in fact included in the weather data, but just "hidden" for the sake of showing a whole number. Just have to do a bit of digging to find it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.