Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I've had that happen a lot ? I might have an explanation for you. I have an automation set up that has Siri read me the weather and upcoming events as soon as my alarm is stopped in the morning. When it speaks the temperature, it doesn't just say a whole, rounded number. For instance, a few weeks ago, the app said -0, but Siri read the temperature as "negative 0.8 degrees Fahrenheit." And then another morning, it showed as 0 without the negative, and Siri read the temperature as something like "0.5 degrees Fahrenheit".

The detail of "tenths of a degree" are in fact included in the weather data, but just "hidden" for the sake of showing a whole number. Just have to do a bit of digging to find it!

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: iOS Geek

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Last night it was so cold, that my weather app invented a new number...

View attachment 892784
LOL so I guess between -0.0001 and -0.4999?
[automerge]1581103827[/automerge]
No snow or extremely cold temperatures here -- just rain, and plenty of it. We're in for an all-day on-and-off kind of rain -- a good day to stay home and putter around the house, do housekeeping chores, play with bubbles....
Exactly, glad for no snow, but the rain is really getting annoying again, especially at night.
[automerge]1581104058[/automerge]
So two days ago I was thinking how great (if weird) it has been that I've only had my driveways plowed once all season so far, even with a bunch of cold spells. Right so I get up today and see that starting late tonight the whole area's to be blanketed with rain turning here to a snow dump of up to 8" by time it clears out on Friday. Maybe I should stop thinking loudly enough for the weather gods to hear me?!

Anyway happy I started the day with a really early glance at the weather because it gave me enough time to get an order in to re-up on some fresh produce, eggs and bread before the roads get dicey.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll end up with a drought in spring if we don't get a few more snow storms. First time I can think of in over 30 years we haven't had at least four or five plow-worthy snowstorms in the Catskills by early February.

Definitely no frickin drought here. Must have rained two or more weeks straight a bit ago and now it's at it again for a few days.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
more than expected snow. the valley got 6-10"?
All good this winter has been dry

i hate to be out there doing winter watering but trees left to their own they dry out. February is a bad month to splurge on the water. The city calculates the tap fees for the year based on your February usage.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
more than expected snow. the valley got 6-10"?
All good this winter has been dry

i hate to be out there doing winter watering but trees left to their own they dry out. February is a bad month to splurge on the water. The city calculates the tap fees for the year based on your February usage.
Wish it would be dry here instead of 50% rain days with it in week+ stretches at a time. But if it mean no snow I guess I'll suffer. Just wish it wouldn't rain at night on my way home from work.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Cool, thanks for the explanation.
Sure! I used to wonder about the "-0" as well. I live in Illinois, so I've seen that pop up quite often! Coming up with that explanation was more of an "accident". I started messing around with Automations once it was added to Shortcuts and tried coming up with anything and everything just to see how useful it could be...and that's how I came across the temperature thing. The first time I heard Siri read it like that, it was like a "huh!" moment.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
77° today, going to pickup the little G from a school function, roof down, shorts and a T :D Friday supposed to hit 81° :cool:

OK that's it, you're banned ???? because 81º is illegal. This is a citizen's arrest.

Meanwhile we're not having a traditional Catskills February (where the mean temperature is like 15 and not uncommon to see -20 in the overnights). Nope. Half of what you got in Florida is wafting up here on alternate days or something. It's insane, and a rollercoaster.

Today we had fog so dense they delayed school openings for 2 hours. Already looks like we could lose the apple crop again at bud stage w/ cloudy warm days and if not foggy (warm breeze over snowfields) then clear and really cold nights. This stuff gotta stop!

Forecast ahead for the western Catskills
(day high and overnight low)
rollercoaster mid-feb.jpg

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Texas decided it was not ready to part with winter. It is 50° F and supposed to rain/drizzle for the next day or two. I'm positively miserable.
That's pretty much all winter here in PA. Rains weeks at a time when the temps are like 40s+ but then when it clears, it's crap like 31 high 12! low :/ But if it keeps the snow away, I will suffer through it.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm tempting a good thrashing by @LizKat , but ...

View attachment 894006

:p

Hey today I'm almost ready to see that boxed up and shipped here via SpaceX before supper.

We got 3" new snow overnight that was supposed to be slush, now it's raining so it is slush and the 8" of old snow that was supposed to be slush overnight is balking at so much melt work before nightfall... and so now it's supposed to be 11 tonight, then tomorrow high only 12 and then the fri overnight of 8 below zero.

So I got me the swimming pool and then the skating rink but no sunshine. This how they run the Catskills now, see, the resorts have gone straight to hell.

Reactions: compwiz1202

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hahaha, I picked up the little G from school, in my car, roof down, I said, "Do you realize it's __snowing__ in some parts of the country?", hahaha, I don't think she believed me :D

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well now that winter's officially been over for awhile, it's finally going to show up. Insanity! Just what no one has ordered for mid-April, but most of us are gonna get it anyway. We're already getting a preview here. Map and quotes from the WaPo today.

way late to the party.jpg

...starting this weekend, winter will attempt to launch a revenge tour about a month after its closing date. The central United States is poised to be its main target, but only the West Coast and stifling South Florida will escape the chill.

The National Weather Service’s 6- to 10-day outlook map is smothered in shades of dark blue, conveying high confidence in below-normal temperatures.

The first shot of cold will charge into the north-central United States on Easter weekend as the jet stream takes a massive plunge out of Canada. In the process, a powerful storm is predicted to develop between the Plains and Great Lakes, triggering a likely outbreak of severe thunderstorms in the South on Easter Sunday.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There is moss growing on the ground outside... Guess my power washer will get used in a couple weeks when it warms up. Should be fun zooming off all the moss.

Reactions: millerj123

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
There is moss growing on the ground outside... Guess my power washer will get used in a couple weeks when it warms up. Should be fun zooming off all the moss.
My parents don't waste the water, their 9 HP leaf blower works well for this if it's loose...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Supposed to have 1-4 inches of snow on Easter.

We got that last night and today as a preview with more to come on the weekend into Monday and onward I guess. It was weird today, with winds often coming from the south but bringing snow in periodic bursts from way higher up, in strange downward gusts: the hawks finally gave up trying to find thermals they could actually ride in between snowbursts and still see anything while they were up there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.