Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Today when I got up and went to open a window and realized that, oops, it wasn't all that warm outside the way it has been, it was downright COLD, I hurriedly shut the window. When I got online I learned about the weird weather pattern that has suddenly interrupted everyone's spring here on the East Coast. Sheesh!!!!! SNOW? NOW??? I sighed when I had to put on a heavier coat today but at least I didn't have to deal with the White Stuff the way some of you guys did. My sympathy goes out to you!!!!

The bunny rabbits, the squirrels, the geese and the ducks were all kind of confused, too, weren't they?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That little guy in the snapshot looked like maybe a last year's juvie who hasn't learned yet that it's supposed to quit snowing by nearly mid-May, having slowly got used to what winter is all about. He was just patiently nibbling and letting his body warmth uncover more "salad supper" even as the snow started to cover him and the dinner table too. But the other day I saw a bigger rabbit out back, maybe the local patriarch, who was pawing at remains of an overnight snowdump on the grass in a kind of exasperated fashion. Looked like he was operating on the kind of calendar I have on my wall: time for spring already!!!!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
There's a book in the UK called Gardening with the Enemy - it's about rabbits.
Indeed a good metaphor during the war they were prized.

P355_CCCR.jpg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Indeed a good metaphor during the war they were prized.

View attachment 914058
Yep. My granddad raised 'em during the war and afterwards for a little while... and I was just about old enough to land the chore of helping feed and water them... But we did not eat them, even though I knew that some people did. I thought that ours were pet rabbits and that the people who stopped by and chatted up my grandma and left off "a gift" like a fruit pie or some lard or sugar (and then went out to the barn w/ my granddad and ended up taking home a rabbit, or sometimes two) were just doing us a favor... since how many pet rabbits can you have really. Always thought it was amazing how it worked out that we never quite ran out of room for the young ones as they got old enough "to give away"...

Well anyway rabbits around here better wise up and head back up into the meadows because now the weather's shifting towards where only a freeze warning at night is in the forecast. People are itching to finish prepping their garden spaces and get their peas planted out pretty quick here. Then no one will be looking at rabbits as if they are pets.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
We used to have rabbit when on holiday in France and when I first arrived n the UK (I was between jobs and frozen rabbit was cheap). It always feels a bit barbaric to eat it, but it tastes great.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I was about ten or eleven, one year my parents gave me a rabbit, a black one which I named "Inky," and my father built a nice ground-level hutch in the back yard for him. We all thought Inky was a "he," and then one day noticed that Inky seemed to be gaining weight.....uh-oh, turns out Inky was a "she"! Not sure how another rabbit would've gotten into the hutch to impregnate her, or if she were able to slip out of the hutch at times (I think the latter was the case, but can't quite remember). At any rate, my mother put her foot down and said, "we are NOT going to raise a family of rabbits here!" My father knew someone who had a farm and the arrangement was made that Inky would go to the farm to raise her brood there..... As a child, it never occurred to me that possibly that litter and maybe Inky herself would eventually wind up on someone's dinner table. That would've been heartbreaking to me!

Reactions: LizKat

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
What the heck? It’s May 9. Does somebody want to wake up the snow and tell it to go home?? It’s still hanging around like a passed out guest from that party we had back in March.

Yesterday evening in the space of 1/2 hr. it snowed, then the sun came out, then it snowed while the sun was out, then it stopped, then it started again, then it stopped and the sun came out for one last blast. It’s the epitome of that joke if you don’t like the weather in Ohio wait a few minutes.

Every third day we go from cold to shirtsleeve weather. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the buds on the trees so confused. They start, they stop, they start again. They don’t know whether to continue. Yesterday I looked up at the sky and saw this:

The big pain here is the high low spread. It will be nice during the day in the 60s and then back to the 30s.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
When I was about ten or eleven, one year my parents gave me a rabbit, a black one which I named "Inky," and my father built a nice ground-level hutch in the back yard for him. We all thought Inky was a "he," and then one day noticed that Inky seemed to be gaining weight.....uh-oh, turns out Inky was a "she"! Not sure how another rabbit would've gotten into the hutch to impregnate her, or if she were able to slip out of the hutch at times (I think the latter was the case, but can't quite remember). At any rate, my mother put her foot down and said, "we are NOT going to raise a family of rabbits here!" My father knew someone who had a farm and the arrangement was made that Inky would go to the farm to raise her brood there..... As a child, it never occurred to me that possibly that litter and maybe Inky herself would eventually wind up on someone's dinner table. That would've been heartbreaking to me!

Honestly I am uncertain how somebody can get attached to a rabbit. They're not exactly affectionate. Even rats are more social. Anyway, I suggest you never go to France.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
As a little girl, I loved my bunny! As an adult, yeah, there would not be quite the same level of attachment.

Also at one point had guinea pigs, too, and loved their cute little noises.....

With regard to warning me not to go to France -- sorry, too late! Been there (many years ago now) and had some lovely food, some of which was new to me, but fortunately, rabbit was not on the menu or served to us anywhere..... :D

Something I really enjoyed having there was Escargot, to which my husband had already introduced me some time prior to our trip, and it was delightful experiencing them in France! Then again, can't say that I ever had any sort of emotional attachment to snails.... :D

Reactions: VulchR and LizKat

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
As a little girl, I loved my bunny! As an adult, yeah, there would not be quite the same level of attachment.

Also at one point had guinea pigs, too, and loved their cute little noises.....

With regard to warning me not to go to France -- sorry, too late! Been there (many years ago now) and had some lovely food, some of which was new to me, but fortunately, rabbit was not on the menu or served to us anywhere..... :D

Something I really enjoyed having there was Escargot, to which my husband had already introduced me some time prior to our trip, and it was delightful experiencing them in France! Then again, can't say that I ever had any sort of emotional attachment to snails.... :D
Dear lord, guinea pigs. Super cute, they'll crap and pee on you. Not to mention how demandingly noisy they are.

• Haha
Reactions: LizKat and VulchR

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Which country was it in South America that farms the little buggers for meat? Rabbit is fairly lean. You really need to mix it with a fatty cut of pork to meat it up and impart more flavor. I'd love to try a giant Belgian rabbit.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Which country was it in South America that farms the little buggers for meat? Rabbit is fairly lean. You really need to mix it with a fatty cut of pork to meat it up and impart more flavor. I'd love to try a giant Belgian rabbit.

Not so. It works well on its own in stews. Actually rabbit is fantastic casseroled with prunes (apologies to the rabbit lovers out there - I promised I haven't eaten any in years, and honestly the rabbit I ate last was purchased because my family could not afford any other kind of meat, and indeed now I am trying my best to eat less meat in general anyway).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
First of June and it never quite got up to 60ºF outside today, wow. It must have got pretty cold here last night (there were frost warnings). I had turned the thermostat down to 45 awhile back, so it wouldn't kick in during cold overnights in the summer. Right, so it was 50ºF in my kitchen at 6am. Ugh! I officially relaunched the heating season for awhile until this cold spell is over.

Y'all up in Canada need to put your icy winds on a leash. :)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
First of June and it never quite got up to 60ºF outside today, wow. It must have got pretty cold here last night (there were frost warnings). I had turned the thermostat down to 45 awhile back, so it wouldn't kick in during cold overnights in the summer. Right, so it was 50ºF in my kitchen at 6am. Ugh! I officially relaunched the heating season for awhile until this cold spell is over.

Y'all up in Canada need to put your icy winds on a leash. :)

We've had the sunniest May ever recorded in the UK. During the ??? lockdown. Now we're coming out of lockdown, its rain and 50F°....

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We've had the sunniest May ever recorded in the UK. During the ??? lockdown. Now we're coming out of lockdown, its rain and 50F°....

Yep we seem to have gone from winter to spring tornado season to summer and back to winter all in the space of about three weeks. It was in the 80s over Memorial Day weekend. Guess that was "summer". Well it's usually folly around here to plant out tender seedlings until middle of June anyway. This pattern of hot to cold again doesn't usually have the cold part lasting for days at a stretch though. That will play havoc with tomatoes and eggplant setting fruit if it keeps occurring later into the season. Those plants don't like the mean nighttime temperature falling under 55ºF and we're usually close to that already.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It’s finally feeling like fall here. It’s currently in the 55, it’s going all the way down to 45 tomorrow night!
We got down to 36 last night. FINALLY! I like summer, but this summer was a hot one that felt like it would never end, so I'm definitely ready for fall and winter! Bring it on!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.