Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Yes but then you have to deal with the heat and humidity, and the hurricanes and what not. The only perfect weather is like San Diego or Hawaii.
Doesn't bug me. I grew up with all that. In San Diego, you get quakes, and an absolutely insane state government. Hawaii gets hurricanes and is too isolated.

Basically, the moral of the stories would be "ya picks yer poison!"

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Doesn't bug me. I grew up with all that. In San Diego, you get quakes, and an absolutely insane state government. Hawaii gets hurricanes and is too isolated.

Well, I wouldn’t count the state government as part of a weather problem. But your point of pick your poison is taken. It just depends on how often you want a dose.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I went up to visit my brother's family in northern NH for New Years.

I headed back home this morning and the temperature was -29 Deg F (not wind chill) around 8am.

I had no problems starting the car (it was out in the driveway) but I could tell it didn't appreciate the cold :).

I also found that you do not want to leave an iPod Touch in the car (I play it through the car radio) when it gets that cold :D.

Reactions: LizKat

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Please stay safe and warm. Coldest weather since the polar vortex in (2014?) across North America. Heard -30/-40 wind chills in the Plains and possibly more snow on the way for Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and other Great Lakes States.

We will thaw the Canadians out in a few months.

lol... just a bit

i would go to U.S right now to be in that weather, if i could.

No one hurt the Canadians :D (I watch MacBreak Weekly ..).

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I was going to say something about hot air from DC but forgot this ain't PRSI.
[doublepost=1515001529][/doublepost]
Holy heck, we were just in NYC [for Christmas], and got some of the tail end of the cold weather (some wind chills into 15-18 degree, a couple of short dips into single digits) and even being *very* prepared, there were moments I might as well have been wearing shorts and a T-shirt. That level of cold just amazes me.

Yah one thing about living in Manhattan is you're bound to catch wind off one or another body of water, and the canyons of skyscrapers seem to amp up the wind chill. It's one thing to experience -20ºF upstate on a windless day. It's another, and horrific, to walk in air temperatures of even +20º when your last several blocks from the public transit take you home to what the apartment rental ads tout during summertime as "River Vue." At that time of year it's a river view dimly through a scarf or you'll feel sandblasted by time you get there.

Or at least that's what I thought until I spent some time in Chicago one winter.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is horrendous out tonight. Currently 2 with a hard wind. They are talking about -10 tonight.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Its 42 celcius here in Sydney. Give me your cold for 5 minutes please. I have no air conditioning. On the plus, side, I think I've lost a stone just sitting on the couch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Woke up to -1 this morning and yesterday atop of Mount Washington, they were so close to getting to -100 windchill
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 6.24.06 AM.png

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
-37F in Minnesota (windchill), 4F degrees there this morning.

It never got that cold where I am. It’s been -11 to -18F without chill. The winds have been still (3-5 mph or so) so that helped. It’s 15 F above this morning with a high approaching freezing. Tomorrow’s forecast is about the same.
[doublepost=1515334532][/doublepost]
Mid 60's in the Bay Area. Time to break out the winter wear!

Wait until summer when the City is in the 50’s. Lol. I miss the Bay Area climate.

Last edited:

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
One of the places called out on the Today show when talking about cold weather is about an hour from me - Saranac Lake, NY. Officially, the Albany area set a record low high (coldest high temp recorded on a particular day) of 8 F yesterday, or maybe it was Wed? I don't think we even hit double digits yesterday.

I went to high school up there (Peru). I don't miss the weather. My parents spent 30 years in Albany and finally retired to Florida.

This time of year is normally in the 50-60's. Very comfortable. I joke that we have a six day winter here, but we maintained a hard freeze for four days. It was brutal. This week, back to the 60's and even up to 70.

So much for global warming!

It's global climate change.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Been a week of -30C to -45C this morning(-49F).. averaging of -15C (5F) for 3 months. Can't even walk my small dogs. They pee in record time, no time for sniffing.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So here in the Western Catskills, it was -17ºF along our little ridge this morning at 8am, God knows what in the wee hours, probably -22. Heat wave here now at 2 above zero. I'm looking forward to the real heat wave starting tomorrow with a forecast high of 32 continuing up to Thursday's 46. Wow. Sixty degree swings in a few days are unusual here for early January, usually don't get that until a February thaw.

Woke up to -1 this morning and yesterday atop of Mount Washington, they were so close to getting to -100 windchill

Y'all keep yer tall mountains, I've decided these hills are good enough for me. :p

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
56ºF right now, sunny, feels like 60+ out of the shade (but a decent ~15-18mph NE wind from the ocean). Just got back from a supply run ... top down (also wearing shorts) :D

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
56ºF right now, sunny, feels like 60+ out of the shade (but a decent ~15-18mph NE wind from the ocean). Just got back from a supply run ... top down (also wearing shorts) :D

It’s a bit chilly for Florida though, the sun also isn’t really at an ideal angle to sit outside but it’s definitely better than that nonsense up north :p

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Today will be the first day since Christmas that our temperature will climb to 20 degrees or above. Just looked at our electric bill online last night and it's almost a grand. Yikes.

• Wow
Reactions: PC_tech

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

You guys are gonna need food tasters if any of us Yanks invite you to brunch once we manage to get down there to get even.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It’s a bit chilly for Florida though, the sun also isn’t really at an ideal angle to sit outside but it’s definitely better than that nonsense up north :p

Oh yeah, we've had some record lows, a snow-like weather occurrence - I was taking the Christmas lights off the 4Runner late yesterday (yes, it was fun), and with the wind chill, it was _cold_, but I did have a spiked hot chocolate with me outside :D
[doublepost=1515347366][/doublepost]
You guys are gonna need food tasters if any of us Yanks invite you to brunch once we manage to get down there to get even.

:D

"This frittata tastes ..."

*drops dead*

We're doing Mexican sunday today, our crazy Cali burritos, tequila beverages, watching some NFL, a little business planning - come on down :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They are predicting temps to get above freezing for the first time in 12 days on Tuesday. And maybe 50 on Thursday, with rain.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY

Isolated, for sure.

Hurricanes, not really. We had a big one back in 1992 but nothing of importance since. In 2014 Iselle threatened my island but made landfall as a tropical storm only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.