Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
48 degrees today, tomorrow mid 50s and lots of rain. That's sort of good news bad news for us here in the Boston area. Good news to enjoy unusually warm weather, but the bad news is that snow is going to melt fast, coupled with lots of rain, that will cause all sorts of flooding issues

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
48 degrees today, tomorrow mid 50s and lots of rain. That's sort of good news bad news for us here in the Boston area. Good news to enjoy unusually warm weather, but the bad news is that snow is going to melt fast, coupled with lots of rain, that will cause all sorts of flooding issues

Yep. Half of NY has a snow watch on, the other half and PA are looking at floods... a little something for everyone. But inland we didn't get anything like the snow that Boston got from the Atlantic storm. In NYS the usual recipients of lake effect snow are seeing that continue to pile up, but they're still in the cold zone for short term ahead. The potential problem in the western Catskills is twofold: impending rain and a couple days of 40º, 50º air temps. The ground is frozen solid so rainfall goes to the hundreds of creeks. To the extent they start running, then ice jams and local flooding become a thing downstream thanks to debris from the high winds we did get from that storm. Life at the top of an east-west hill and halfway up a north-south one can have its advantages during winter thaws... have to remember that during those other times when it's windy and ten below zero. :)

FirstTheSnowThenTheFlood.jpg

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I live in Denver. We've had 2 inches of snow this whole winter so far. The whole state is suffering from a lack of snow fall. This has happened in the past but we have broken 37 year record for lowest snowpack this year. This summer might be a horrible fire season at this rate.

As for cold, we had a few weeks during September that the highs were in the single digits but mostly it's been in the 40s, 50s, and even low 60s. Yesterday we had rain. In January. Can't tell you the last year it rained in January and I've lived in Colorado all my life.

I've never seen a year where we've only had 2 inches of snow by January.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That's okay, we remember what it was like for you and your kin last summer... we all seem to be getting our own share of extreme weather now. It's like we all end up waiting for our next turn in the barrel. For all my remarking on the super cold snaps up here lately, January on a sunny day again becomes one of my favorite months for the return of great morning light. In that long descent to the winter solstice, the sun doesn't even rise until 8:30am in late fall, early winter due to the ridge behind my place. It's a real bonus now that it's still almost light at 5pm. Gotta savor the bright spots...

Reactions: AlliFlowers

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Washed my car this afternoon, shorts, T-shirt, no shoes :D

Ai ai ai. I'm bringing delicious tea cakes with me when I deplane in Florida.

You hire that food taster yet? :p

Our high for Sunday is now forecast at 8 above zero. Last time I saw t-shirt, shorts and no shoes was sometime in October in that long run of Indian Summer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ai ai ai. I'm bringing delicious tea cakes with me when I deplane in Florida.

You hire that food taster yet? :p

Our high for Sunday is now forecast at 8 above zero. Last time I saw t-shirt, shorts and no shoes was sometime in October in that long run of Indian Summer.

I was a touch concerned about posting the current weather situation knowing you were reading this thread ...

Definitely not consuming any anonymous treats arriving via UPS. :D

The crazy thing is our range of weather - I saw something on the local news that said mid-upper 70s tomorrow, then low 30's early on Saturday!

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I live in Denver. We've had 2 inches of snow this whole winter so far. The whole state is suffering from a lack of snow fall. This has happened in the past but we have broken 37 year record for lowest snowpack this year. This summer might be a horrible fire season at this rate.

As for cold, we had a few weeks during September that the highs were in the single digits but mostly it's been in the 40s, 50s, and even low 60s. Yesterday we had rain. In January. Can't tell you the last year it rained in January and I've lived in Colorado all my life.

I've never seen a year where we've only had 2 inches of snow by January.

Don’t take this the wrong way - but I hope you get two feet of snow or something soon. I’m skiing at the end of the month...

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
If it really freezes and that that winter storm they're talking about actually comes we're going to have a few hundred miles of ice skating rink.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If it really freezes and that that winter storm they're talking about actually comes we're going to have a few hundred miles of ice skating rink.

Here we are coming off a heat wave (61 degrees earlier today) that has melted six inches of snow and now we're starting the plunge down to what's expected to be 8 below zero on Sunday night.

Weirdly, although it was still in the 50s at 6pm, it was already snowing, so I guess the cold blast is having trouble getting down to lower altitudes. Still above freezing now but not by much. I just hope we don’t get freezing rain before the snow starts to stick or we'll definitely have that skating rink you mentioned.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Here we are coming off a heat wave (61 degrees earlier today) that has melted six inches of snow and now we're starting the plunge down to what's expected to be 8 below zero on Sunday night.

Weirdly, although it was still in the 50s at 6pm, it was already snowing, so I guess the cold blast is having trouble getting down to lower altitudes. Still above freezing now but not by much. I just hope we don’t get freezing rain before the snow starts to stick or we'll definitely have that skating rink you mentioned.
I just woke up and looked outside and it seems we got about 8 inches last night. It's going to be a sweats and Netflix weekend

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
We are in the middle of an amazing beautiful foggy morning. Went out for a 4 mile walk in it just now and it felt great! Temperature was about 24F but it felt much warmer. Perfect weather for a walk! Of course, still no snow in Denver Colorado. Just a layer of ice covering all the cars from the freeze.

IMG_0164.jpg

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just want it to be a perfect winter wonderland!
There's snow up there, it's not what it should be for this time of year.

The company that owns all the Vail resorts issued a statement yesterday saying that their revenue is expected to be quite a bit less then they previously expected it to be and it may even be less then what they are currently expecting it to be this year for various reasons. Part of those reasons are that people just aren't going up skiing due to there being less snow this year.

The mountains did get snow the last few days but the whole state is seriously lacking in snow pack still today. I believe on the news, they said it was the worst in 30 years.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/06/colorado-snowpack-levels-january-2018/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.