Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Better hurry. The dollar is historically strong against the pound (thanks, Brexit). Also, by 2050, London will have the climate that Barcelona has now (ouch), and Edinburgh will have the climate the London has now (yuck; see https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0217592 ). I'm hoping of spending my retirement in Thurso...

I'm thinking of just starting to eat more bacon and eggs and be done with it all before stuff like that can routinely be fried on a plate or a rock all over the planet. :eek:

But Thurso looks charming. How about Shetland... or is that going to be drowned by then.

Reactions: VulchR

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not going to be cold this weekend!
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 11.47.32 AM.png

Heat index of 105-110.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
But Thurso looks charming. How about Shetland... or is that going to be drowned by then.

I chose Thurso because it's harder to get more north than that in Scotland. :) Shetland is a little too risky IMO. The food might run out and the land might get lost to the sea, as you say. LOL - I sound like a prepper, but this is a little game we play we I work: where's the best place in Scotland to to wait out the Zombie apocalypse?

Reactions: LizKat

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
....and.... 11 days later... one wakes up and the whole forecast area (except tippy tops of Catskills and places that might catch a breeze off Erie or Ontario) is under an excessive heat watch.

If I were a bird I'd be a couple counties over in the higher mountains. Looks like denizens of the western Catskills up to around 2500 feet get to enjoy the 95º-100ºF wave like all the other peons. And here I thought we were special... I mean we got singled out for flash floods ahead of this thing so...

At least I'm not in one of the casserole bowls that places like Binghamton and Philadelphia become in a heatwave. Water water everywhere from a confluence of rivers topping off after a raft of thunderstorms... ugh. I wish all my fellow citizens good health during this eastern heatwave. See you on the other side!

Will be interesting to see how the power supply holds up as the weekend progresses. This thing stretches out along the whole mid-Atlantic coast and points south.

We're looking at heat indices of up to 100 through Sunday. I'm staying in with the AC cranked up.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We're looking at heat indices of up to 100 through Sunday. I'm staying in with the AC cranked up.

I'll be hanging out in my bathtub on Saturday with beach read paperbacks and plenty iced tea unless the power goes out. Then I'll be in my bathtub with beach reads and lemonade made one glass at a time from a big bag of lemons I remembered to bring home from the market. Hopefully power outages will be scattered... otherwise Saturday will wind up as a triage night for any of us with frozen perishables we care about. I'll eat the raspberries first and to heck with the kale if it can't take a joke for awhile.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Heh, you need to be quiet now before your crew end up with a lot of house guests toting pitchforks instead of bottles of a nice wine or contributions to cheese board..

I sued to work in a lab near DC that had a lot of computer workstations, equipment and animals that needed to be kept cool, so the AC blasted all day. At the end of the workday in the summer we'd leave the building and the water vapour would condense on our skin because it had been cooled by the AC. Not a pleasant feeling. Then I would get to my car, which had been baking all day in a parking lot, and get blasted by desert-hot air when I opened the door. That meant sweating like a pig until I made it home.

So yeah, I'm loving Scotland just now, although we're having a heatwave next week and the temp might go up to the mid-70's. I might actually have to wear short sleeves. :p

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Was a nice 48*F this morning. Had my coffee outside overlooking everything. Read the paper. Did the crossword. Really nice.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Was a nice 48*F this morning. Had my coffee outside overlooking everything. Read the paper. Did the crossword. Really nice.

That does sound nice! It could have been my post somewhere around a week ago I think. Great while it lasted. Tonight's low looks to be 72ºF which is way high for an overnight temp here, in fact that's often the daytime high. But at 430pm now it's 87º, supposedly the day's high. Another overreach.

Reactions: SDColorado

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Still a lot of snow in the high country, this is from Grand Mesa 7/22/2019

010f39530fb17f50875ce115879a391c.jpg

Wow! I'll be right over. I only thought I'd still have glaciers in my driveway in May this year. They were gone in April even if we did have a spring that hung onto the cold until almost the end of June, then flashed a nice fourth of July followed by that humongous heat wave. I swore I wouldn't complain about the heat after that endless winter-not-leaving,,,, but now those glaciers look good and... "I surrender! I'm complaining about the heat!"

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Our winter had cold nights and some warm days. I remember a day or two before Christmas it being near 90 when I was bringing in the trash bins after they'd been collected. If I'm working up a sweat bringing in trash bins in the dead of winter at midday, it isn't winter.

I'm in shape for my age, too. Two Thanksgivings ago it was blazing warm during the day and hardly cooled off later that night.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Our winter had cold nights and some warm days. I remember a day or two before Christmas it being near 90 when I was bringing in the trash bins after they'd been collected. If I'm working up a sweat bringing in trash bins in the dead of winter at midday, it isn't winter.

I'm in shape for my age, too. Two Thanksgivings ago it was blazing warm during the day and hardly cooled off later that night.

We've had a few downright balmy Thanksgivings as well in the past few years (65ºF around here is hot for end November). I don't complain while sticking a slide-in screen in the window over the kitchen sink; I never had a storm window on that one anyway since I used to burn firewood and the stove was in the kitchen so some venting was par for the course. But when I have to fish around now for that screen in the late fall, not having used wood heat for over ten years, I know darn well something's up with weather patterns.

Today so far is a perfect summer day, the kicker is in the late day forecast, a round of t-storms to usher in a few days of torrential rains so the risk of flash floods up in hill creeks.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
We are looking at the low to mid 80's in good ole sunny southern California, but we have been blasted by the humidity here late. Holy smokes, it feels like Florida or down south humidity. Hot and sticky.

Reactions: 0388631

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
We are looking at the low to mid 80's in good ole sunny southern California, but we have been blasted by the humidity here late. Holy smokes, it feels like Florida or down south humidity. Hot and sticky.

Yuck. Where I am in Scotland the temperature has gone up into the mid-70's with >80% humidity. I know that doesn't seem too bad, but we have absolutely no air-conditioning whatsoever, so my building gets up to low 80's inside. Also, biting insects (midges, mosquitoes, horseflies, & ticks) are running rampant as a result.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yuck. Where I am in Scotland the temperature has gone up into the mid-70's with >80% humidity. I know that doesn't seem too bad, but we have absolutely no air-conditioning whatsoever, so my building gets up to low 80's inside. Also, biting insects (midges, mosquitoes, horseflies, & ticks) are running rampant as a result.

I too expect another massive bug hatch as a result of this week's sudden latch onto semi-tropical weather. The hatch no doubt will be seen as an upside by the barn swallows. Right about now they're looking to fatten up before their whole local tribe gathers along a phone wire on some mid-August morning and chatters excitedly about their impending departure to the Caribbean... I sure hope they really clean up the new harvest of bugs before they take off.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I too expect another massive bug hatch as a result of this week's sudden latch onto semi-tropical weather. The hatch no doubt will be seen as an upside by the barn swallows. Right about now they're looking to fatten up before their whole local tribe gathers along a phone wire on some mid-August morning and chatters excitedly about their impending departure to the Caribbean... I sure hope they really clean up the new harvest of bugs before they take off.

We have the same. Every time I see swallows, housemartins or bats chasing the wee biting beasties I cheer them on. Midges in Scotland, while limited to certain months and mostly avoided by using insect repellent, are demon-spawn. Moving into a swarm of them is like getting stabbed to death by pin pricks.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

The mosquitoes are relentless right now. Once you get bit by one, you are fair game and before you know it, you have four or five of them!

Spiders are out in droves also with the humid weather. Not just your little ones either, big ole honken black and red ones. Nasty little buggers and they always seem to spin a web at night in front of the front door or the car door. Little buggers. I have sprayed several times over the past few weeks to try and slow down their evil ways, aka web slinging, but it is a battle I fear I am losing at the moment.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The mosquitoes are relentless right now. Once you get bit by one, you are fair game and before you know it, you have four or five of them!

Spiders are out in droves also with the humid weather. Not just your little ones either, big ole honken black and red ones. Nasty little buggers and they always seem to spin a web at night in front of the front door or the car door. Little buggers. I have sprayed several times over the past few weeks to try and slow down their evil ways, aka web slinging, but it is a battle I fear I am losing at the moment.
I gave in and sprinkled granules and sprayed the exterior of the house. Took forever between taking a break and getting a drink of water.

We're seeing 80s to mid 90s it seems, and I doubt it'll go higher even in the dead of August. We got lucky here this year compared to the last two years. The humidity is gross, though. It's nice and dry inside, but as soon as you step out in the morning or past 7 PM, it's moist. The air has that musty smell in the morning, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.