Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I gave in and sprinkled granules and sprayed the exterior of the house. Took forever between taking a break and getting a drink of water.

We're seeing 80s to mid 90s it seems, and I doubt it'll go higher even in the dead of August. We got lucky here this year compared to the last two years. The humidity is gross, though. It's nice and dry inside, but as soon as you step out in the morning or past 7 PM, it's moist. The air has that musty smell in the morning, too.

Yes it does. Almost moldy like quality to it and it is thick with moisture. Yeah it is pretty humid outside. While it hasn't been super hot, with the humidity, it has been an intense hot.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes it does. Almost moldy like quality to it and it is thick with moisture. Yeah it is pretty humid outside. While it hasn't been super hot, with the humidity, it has been an intense hot.
Yeah, there's that crisp muskiness in a fall or winter morning, especially if you have oak around, but this isn't it. Just be glad it hasn't rained this summer. If it does and the sun comes out, we're screwed. 3-5 days of muggy weather with cloud cover preventing everything from drying up faster. Disgusting.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah, there's that crisp muskiness in a fall or winter morning, especially if you have oak around, but this isn't it. Just be glad it hasn't rained this summer. If it does and the sun comes out, we're screwed. 3-5 days of muggy weather with cloud cover preventing everything from drying up faster. Disgusting.

Yeah, that doesn't sound pleasant at all... Even when the clouds roll in and we get that light mist in the AM, ugh.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, that doesn't sound pleasant at all... Even when the clouds roll in and we get that light mist in the AM, ugh.
Oh you forgot there was some light drizzle a couple weeks back in the early AM. I remember 1 or 2 days where the temperature plummeted hard and it was cool enough to warranty a lightweight sweater.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Oh you forgot there was some light drizzle a couple weeks back in the early AM. I remember 1 or 2 days where the temperature plummeted hard and it was cool enough to warranty a lightweight sweater.

Today was one of those days! Went outside and there was a light frost on my wind shield! Temperature was in the low 60's.

Good times with our funky weather!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Today was one of those days! Went outside and there was a light frost on my wind shield! Temperature was in the low 60's.

Good times with our funky weather!
Same here. There was a sheen of tiny droplets all over everything outside about 30 minutes ago when I went for a walk. Looks like a 4-7* cooldown by end of next week, which is very much welcome. Though with this mild summer, I suspect our winter will be brutally cold for the region or absolutely wet like 2016-2017. The last summer I recall being this mild was in 2010 and 2011. Both winters were obscenely cold for the area.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The mosquitoes are relentless right now. Once you get bit by one, you are fair game and before you know it, you have four or five of them!

Scottish midges are even more diabolical. Once they bite and draw blood, they literally emit a pheromone that attracts other midges to feed. The result is a feeding frenzy. I've been in the Everglades at dusk in the summer - if you are not protected by insect repellent the midges here in Scotland are even worse than the FL mosquitoes. Mind you, midges don't carry off babies like the mosquitoes do in FL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Scottish midges are even more diabolical. Once they bite and draw blood, they literally emit a pheromone that attracts other midges to feed. The result is a feeding frenzy. I've been in the Everglades at dusk in the summer - if you are not protected by insect repellent the midges here in Scotland are even worse than the FL mosquitoes. Mind you, midges don't carry off babies like the mosquitoes do in FL.

:eek::eek::eek: - to the carrying of babies!

I wonder if the mosquitoes here are doing the same thing, as soon as your bit you are surrounded and next thing you know you need a pint of blood injected before you go down for good! Nasty little buggers I tell yeah!
[doublepost=1564680456][/doublepost]
Same here. There was a sheen of tiny droplets all over everything outside about 30 minutes ago when I went for a walk. Looks like a 4-7* cooldown by end of next week, which is very much welcome. Though with this mild summer, I suspect our winter will be brutally cold for the region or absolutely wet like 2016-2017. The last summer I recall being this mild was in 2010 and 2011. Both winters were obscenely cold for the area.

Oh I remember those winters while cold, the snow was freaking great! I want to say we were still snow boarding into early April. It was outstanding. Of course going to work in temperatures below 60 was a shock to the system! Had to break out pants! :):D

I agree with the cooldown! It will be a welcome change, but I fear you are probably right about the very cold winter ahead.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Oh I remember those winters while cold, the snow was freaking great! I want to say we were still snow boarding into early April. It was outstanding. Of course going to work in temperatures below 60 was a shock to the system! Had to break out pants! :):D

I agree with the cooldown! It will be a welcome change, but I fear you are probably right about the very cold winter ahead.
April 2012? Because there was a lot of rain in spring of 2012 so you're likely remembering correctly.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well this is different to the average Thursday. A tornado watch in the northwestern parts of my county. The phone alert came through so it was off to either the cellar or stairwell. Figured I'd go for the stairwell this time, last time I spent half an hour in the dark with a bunch of spiders I told myself were my friends because they keep the gnat count down. On the other hand they may prefer humans who knows.

There are no windows except a crank-out at top of the landing in my stairwell and that's closed and already covered with a drape to keep morning sun out.... so I'm parking my behind on step 3 with a plastic mug of iced tea and the laptop to keep an eye on the weather map (so long as there's power and net service). Oh, and a charged-up iPad packed with the likes of Downtown Abbey...

tornado watch is different.jpg

EDIT at 2216 hrs: well that warning expired faster than the last one. I didn't even get to finish my iced tea. Fine by me... can never decide if it's boring or scary to sit in a relatively safe space waiting to find out if a tornado is going to come through the neighborhood. Time does not fly, let's put it that way. We didn't even get a roll of thunder out of the the thing but some points elsewhere collected some flash flood warnings so we have dodged a few bullets, happy camper here as long as the power stays up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well this is different to the average Thursday. A tornado watch in the northwestern parts of my county. The phone alert came through so it was off to either the cellar or stairwell. Figured I'd go for the stairwell this time, last time I spent half an hour in the dark with a bunch of spiders I told myself were my friends because they keep the gnat count down. On the other hand they may prefer humans who knows.

There are no windows except a crank-out at top of the landing in my stairwell and that's closed and already covered with a drape to keep morning sun out.... so I'm parking my behind on step 3 with a plastic mug of iced tea and the laptop to keep an eye on the weather map (so long as there's power and net service). Oh, and a charged-up iPad packed with the likes of Downtown Abbey...

EDIT at 2216 hrs: well that warning expired faster than the last one. I didn't even get to finish my iced tea. Fine by me... can never decide if it's boring or scary to sit in a relatively safe space waiting to find out if a tornado is going to come through the neighborhood. Time does not fly, let's put it that way. We didn't even get a roll of thunder out of the the thing but some points elsewhere collected some flash flood warnings so we have dodged a few bullets, happy camper here as long as the power stays up.

Glad to hear you're OK. I've had one brush with a funnel cloud overhead (while working in a warehouse full of nails, screws, bolts, and bottles of muriatic acid) and I was once in a beach house situated on pilings that took a direct hit from a smallish tornado. I have to say that neither experience was was much fun at the time and the one recurring nightmare I have is being on a flat featureless plain with a tornado approaching ...

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Glad to hear you're OK. I've had one brush with a funnel cloud overhead (while working in a warehouse full of nails, screws, bolts, and bottles of muriatic acid) and I was once in a beach house situated on pilings that took a direct hit from a smallish tornado. I have to say that neither experience was was much fun at the time and the one recurring nightmare I have is being on a flat featureless plain with a tornado approaching ...

I share that lingering concern, and was extremely alarmed one day when a funnel cloud appeared along what's now interstate i-86 while I was coming upstate. All I could think was that there were not even any ditches along the stretch of road I was passing at the time. I took a handy exit and ended up under an overpass along with a couple other cars whose drivers shared the exact same concerns. Whatever that funnel was about, it stayed off near the horizon as it eventually passed by, but memory remains of that moment when I saw the cloud and instinctively glanced at roadside thinking "ditch, where's the damn ditch??""

My own earlier and closest brush with a near-tornado seems pale in comparison with your experience, although not pale at the time. It was some supposedly "straight line" winds with some local spin from making way through the mountains... anyway it nailed a 60' cherry tree back in my meadow, snapped it off 12' up from the ground and laid that down on my stone wall... but in a swirl as it came through it also pruned some fairly thick branches from near top of a black willow and drove them six or eight inches into the ground. I was in the cellar so unaware of exactly what was happening out there at the time, save for the howling, pulsating sound of the wind and some ferocious drumming of debris on my homebrew version of a Bilco cellar door. It sounded bad but I wasn't really shaken until I saw those willow limbs stuck in the ground like so many javelins later. It was hours later that I noticed the cherry tree out back and the need for some serious chainsaw operations, not to mention repair of the fieldstone wall where the upper part of the tree landed.

Bottom line I have never ignored a tornado warning alert here, rare as they are in these parts and as annoying as it can be to be startled from sleep by the warning, to want to think "well..." and just turn over and skip a trip to the cellar. The memory of seeing those willow sticks jammed into the ground has remained compelling, and a motivator to seek safer surroundings.

It took all my strength to pull those tree limbs out of the dirt; they were about 2.5" in diameter and most of them quit where they did only because it's stony back there. One of them was in almost a foot and I could only remove it by rocking it back and forth quite awhile to loosen it. If something put by that force had come through a window in my studio it would have smashed through the sheetrock across the room for sure.

Reactions: VulchR

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No cold weather near the front range this weekend. Temps will be at least 10 degrees above average for this time of year.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Yesterday it was 95 at 8pm and only cooled to 76 when I got up this morning. We're at 92 and it's only 10 am.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yesterday it was 95 at 8pm and only cooled to 76 when I got up this morning. We're at 92 and it's only 10 am.

ugh... 76 at night is past my comfort zone for sure, or it would be here because when it's that hot here at night it's also very humid. I'd be running a box fan in the upstairs hallway for sure. My "air conditioning" is open windows!

Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
This morning for my watch challenge, it was 80+ degrees before 10 am. I did a 5k, but thought it was a bit much.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Our weather's been heading in the other direction lately. Another chilly one tonight, supposed to end up at 45ºF means probably around 40º right here. At least tonight I remembered to close the windows before nightfall, unlike earlier last week one night. Brrrrr... !!

But tomorrow's forecast is for sunny and back up to mid-70s, so everyone's still hoping summer has enough gas left in it for a great Labor Day weekend and on into mid-September at least, if we're lucky. After that long cold stretch in spring his year, one can hope for an autumn that lingers in the range of late summer even into October.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

Holy smokes that is freaking hot, especially for that time of the day! Reminds me of either Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Palm Springs in the middle of summer, not the end of it! If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? In Sunny Southern Cal, it was in the mid 70's this morning, but there was still a little toooooo much humidity in the air. Not as bad as it has been, but it was there.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Holy smokes that is freaking hot, especially for that time of the day! Reminds me of either Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Palm Springs in the middle of summer, not the end of it! If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? In Sunny Southern Cal, it was in the mid 70's this morning, but there was still a little toooooo much humidity in the air. Not as bad as it has been, but it was there.
Tucson, so yeah, Phoenix usually is 10 degrees hotter.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
With Palm Springs it's dry heat unlike the humid heat we get here on the coast. It's absolutely comfortable to be outside there at 12 AM when it's still well over 90*F and run around or play yard games.

At least our little heat streak is winding down at the end of this week. Back to low 80s next week!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
With Palm Springs it's dry heat unlike the humid heat we get here on the coast. It's absolutely comfortable to be outside there at 12 AM when it's still well over 90*F and run around or play yard games.

At least our little heat streak is winding down at the end of this week. Back to low 80s next week!

Lets hope the humidity goes away too!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Lets hope the humidity goes away too!
I can live with humidity if the relative temperature is low enough at night to cause the ground to rapidly cool off. Regardless of how new a house is, the exterior will retain heat unless there's a considerable difference in ambient air temperature.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I can live with humidity if the relative temperature is low enough at night to cause the ground to rapidly cool off. Regardless of how new a house is, the exterior will retain heat unless there's a considerable difference in ambient air temperature.

Ugh... I am more speaking to the day time humidity that has been plaguing us over the past few weeks. We have had mid to high eighty degree temperature days, but with the humidity so high, the temperature felt like it was hitting a hundred plus. And it was sticky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.