Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I used to have 90º days in winter here sometimes, but only in my kitchen... when I cranked up a woodstove enough to get the whole place warmed up.

I had to periodically close the door to the studio when I was running that gig though. In there is a cold air return and the thermostat plus one heat register, so the furnace would kick in once in awhile and let the ductwork keep the cellar from getting too cold for the water pipes. The thermostat was generally set to 58 or so for that purpose, so it was a weird sensation to be in the kitchen where it was 90º and feel "cold air" coming out of a heat register in the kitchen while the furnace was running. All that hassle of making sure I didn't let the furnace slack off for too long made me realize why a lot of people who burn wood most or all of the time have their big ol' woodstove in the cellar.
Sounds like our case when we lived in Nova Scotia - there was a big wood stove in the basement actually next to my bedroom. It would get so hot sometimes I would open the window to let some heat out.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Yesterday when I went out for bus duty, it was 70 and sunny. Beautiful. This morning we're back to coat/hat/gloves.

People don't know how to dress for the parades (it's Mardi Gras), and it's crazy.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Straight 80s here for the next 10 days, so in reality, closer to 90s. Forecast is always 8-10 degrees under.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Yesterday when I went out for bus duty, it was 70 and sunny. Beautiful. This morning we're back to coat/hat/gloves.

People don't know how to dress for the parades (it's Mardi Gras), and it's crazy.

Wait...your supposed to dress for Mardi Gras I thought the opposite was the point :p

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We're not freezing. We're hot. Southwest Winters aren't this warm.

A side effect of the warmer weather means I can start seedlings earlier this year. On the other hand, a lot of our fruit trees are beginning to ripen. There's maybe 100+ lb of citrus sitting in our wine cellar in a wicker crate, all dirty, because you'd have to be a fool to wash them all. Unless there's a cool down, we're expecting to harvest for months. The bad thing is everyone in the damn area has citrus and other fruit treas. I do hold the upper hand with rosemary, though. Hurrah.

Which has been great since everyone's sick this year. So far we've planned out jams, jellies, curds, candied fruit (reminiscent of the bitter Italian orange confection), Moroccan salt preserve, etc.

If the weather keeps, gin iced tea season is in full swing.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
We have a lake effect warning and are expecting 9"-18" of snow that'll go on the 20" already on the ground but hey it's supposed to get to 31 on Sunday o_O

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We have a lake effect warning and are expecting 9"-18" of snow that'll go on the 20" already on the ground but hey it's supposed to get to 31 on Sunday o_O

Yah we have maybe 14-17" on ground now after these last two rounds, but Saturday and Sunday now it's supposed to be high 30s with rain possible. And then another dive to the teens. So then will come Round 2 of minor floods from ice jams on the creeks, and then skating rinks in driveways again.

What a rollercoaster winter, it's like 1996 revisited. At least the latest snowstorms have cured the UPS guys of opting to leave stuff on the front porches that no one around here uses.. the only paths shoveled and salted or cindered from people's driveways are the ones leading to the back doors. :D

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Um, didn't you guys in the NE get battered by a winter storm in 96?

In light of the warm weather and over abundance, spicy dishes for the foreseeable future. When your taste buds are temporarily hindered, you can eat a lot of spicy food without wanting to stick your head into the freezer. Thai cod coconut curry tonight.
[doublepost=1518131389][/doublepost]
Those temperature swings are whats making people sick
Yeah, we know this now and so our parents or grandparents had a vague idea. We were just taught wrong as children. It's not the temperature that makes you sick, but lower or too high a temperature does wreck havoc on your immune system. And if it is weak, then you're susceptible to illness. Exogenous vitamin intake through food or pills only helps so much. We're not invincible. Usually, during the cold months, you're supposed to sleep and rest more to curb the germs to a degree. Getting a cold in the summer is rare. I've gotten one a few times in my life, the last one being a few years ago. Running a fever, runny nose and sneezing is not fun in the summer heat.

Constant swings in temperature aren't great for your immune system either. If you're sick, honestly, the best drug is probably laying outside under the sun if it's warm enough or going to the beach for the day. Or if there's no beach, go somewhere where the air is clean. Night and day difference. Laying in bed for days if not weeks seems to only intensify the illness.

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
It was 40 degrees on my morning run, so I had to add gloves to my t-shirt and shorts. Today's already 71 and expected to get to 80. This heat spell is supposed to end this week.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Hahahaha. Us too! The weather man said we might see some rain starting Monday. I can say, we had some hellish fog the other day. Made the commute to work a little dicey, especially on the freeways!
Looks like the 35% chance of rain is gone. Looks like mid 60s for the next few days before daytime temps increase and nighttime slides down to what it was weeks ago before it got warm. Weather may change in a couple of weeks, too.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Here the air temperature has reached into the high 60s for two days, and at lunchtime today it hit 71ºF, but since then has steadily dropped (now 33) on its way to a low forecast of 27, with 3" snow expected overnight. Thank you Canada, but please keep that window shut next month.

Anyway that break into the 70s was certainly fun while it lasted. What a tease. Half the time here in summer it's not even close to that warm. It was 58 when I woke up today. Our mean night temperature in summertime is only 55.

Went out to pick up winter-shed bits of trees ahead of the next snowfall, it was great to be outside without a walking stick and ice cleats for a change. I keep trying to fend off vague sensations of an almost sore throat and stuffy nose though. These extremes of temperature are definitely not great for one's health.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Been between 20 - 50F° here all winter. So a pretty mild winter for this place, but it’s been lots of snow, and very wet & lots of snowslush. Very tired of it now, and sooo waiting for spring.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
We had some slightly warmer weather last week. Was thinking if not spring then at least the end of really cold temperatures here-should have known better after two decades by this lake between the Jura and Alps. Mother nature laughed and said *bleep* you, very high winds yesterday and even more his weekend and back below freezing. Envy my students on excursion to Greece where it is still cool but a lot more pleasant than here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.