Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
The conservatives and the Far Right wants all your data.

They want to end safe browsing and messaging.

They want to put all your financial data on public ledgers so they can spy and control your behaviour and feed your personal spending into algos and ads.

But their rich donors and wealthy offshore class will make sure they are the only ones who won't be transparent.
Does “conservative” and “far right” mean something else in the UK? Because in the US it’s definitely the opposite. Republicans/conservatives/right wing petition for more privacy and more encryption.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
That is what they say until they get the power. Then, they realize that same power can be used for political purposes. This is the real problem; the actual, but un-talked about real results. Do they plan it this way? Who knows. But for sure we know through 100s of years of history about government corruption that they will sure use the tool when it is available.

The Pegasus scandal showed us that when governments had the proverbial “keys to the kingdom” they were very quick to use them to spy on, persecute, and even murder journalists, dissidents, and political opposition leaders. It may have gotten lost in the news cycle, but I don’t remember it once being credited with stopping a terrorist plot or exposing a child abuse ring.

Last edited:

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
But you'd just replace them with a separate shower of *****. The idea that the Labour Party with its cranks and nutters would be noticeably better is delusional.

The real issue is the Civil Service - you dont have to be a psychopath like Cummings to realise that the Civil Service is just useless and incapable of delivery.
Yep, I mentioned there‘s been no opposition. Labour went woke and went broke. They no longer represent the working classes. You make a valid point about the CS. There is one hell of a lot of rot, to get rid of.

The UK public is the worst when it comes to deciding on something favorable for themselves!
That is of course, your opinion. Ultimately, the UK public have every right to vote for what they believe is best for them. I presume you’re referring to Brexit? It happened 6 years ago now, it’s time to move on.

Who are you going to replace them with? Labour wouldn't do any better once they're in power.
I agree, as I said Labour offered no opposition to the Government and actually supported the Government’s so called ’Plan B’ vaccine passports… The Labour Party wanted ID Cards a while back anyway if you recall. Tony Bliar was desperate for them but mainly left Gordon Brown’s fingerprints all over them, when he called it a day.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
The conservatives and the Far Right wants all your data.

They want to end safe browsing and messaging.

They want to put all your financial data on public ledgers so they can spy and control your behaviour and feed your personal spending into algos and ads.

But their rich donors and wealthy offshore class will make sure they are the only ones who won't be transparent.
Dont forget, the Labour party wanted to bring in ID Cards back in the mid to late 2000s. They weren’t far right, more centre left! The current PM who most would have said was to the right, spoke out about ID Cards back then and said he would eat the card if he was ever asked to produce it! Now look at him and his policies! Vaccine passports and the highest rate of tax since WWII.

What it tells me is what others have said, different party, same old same old. Labour wouldn’t do any different and even if a miracle occurred and a smaller party like Reform got in, you could bet they’d probably end up same old same old too…

Our House of Commons is filled with self-serving, hypocritical liars.

We need a new Cromwell figure.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The UK government is one of the most horrible in the western world. No wonder CCTV capital of the world wants to read all your messages too.
Having worked for one of the major mobile phone networks, the Government has access to all calls/SMS/email/data passing through the network. It's a requirement in order to get a telecomms operator license, or whatever they call it these days.

Technically, the authorities/police can only access user data once it's been signed off by a judge, but there was nothing stopping them accessing/analysing users data whenever they felt like it.

If you knew what the UK government (GCHQ) has access to & how this data is used, you would be horrified. The NSA get GCHQ to do a bulk of their donkey work as even the NSA has a limit on what they can and will do. GCHQ make the NSA look like choirboys.

Reactions: LinusR and VulchR

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Loosening encryption will enable human trafficking networks to tap into texts, location, school and youth organization databases and communications, and other data of children to track them, catfish them, kidnap them, and exploit them in other ways.

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
We should just make all information possible open to public scrutiny, from commercial exchanges to medical history to travel. Think of how safe the children will be if AI can anonymously alert authorities to known abusive trends 24/7 while millions of volunteers pour through the data.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
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=Sr0A
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
Of course that’s true, but will anyone really change their mind?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Curious why you support ever more centralisation of power (the EU's mission) on a European level.
Interesting point. I do not see centralisation of elite power in the EU government as much as I perceive it in the UK government. The EU government is rather like the US, where there is a central government, but also state governments (country governments in the EU) that have a lot of power. In contrast, in the UK the central government passes laws that affect all levels (except for devolved regions). Even council budgets are determined by the central UK government (imagine the US federal government determining budgets at country levels - there would be rioting). Indeed I think one of the reasons many elites in the UK pursued Brexit was to centralise their power even further. 'Local power' indeed. I think this is beginning to manifest itself in many ways, including this attempt at removing E2E and also other civil liberties (curtailment of right to protest, removal without notice of citizenship, etc.). Perhaps it will be OK - the UK government won't go too far and imbalance the system too much, but there is no structure preventing that (like checks and balances in the US, or even a written Constitution with a Bill of Rights).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Let's throw out all of our privacy and destroy democracy in the process to save some kids. For real? I mean, I want to protect kids as much as the next guy but even if you ban legitimate cryptography, there will always be illegitimate cryptography. You can't just put cryptography back in a box and say "Bad guys don't use this pls ok thx."

Reactions: phalseHUD

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
Riiiiiiight, all in the name of child safety. Just like vax passports are for public health. And they’re all just as bad as each other. Labor, Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Left, Right, they’re all F’ing scumbags

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Interesting point. I do not see centralisation of elite power in the EU government as much as I perceive it in the UK government. The EU government is rather like the US, where there is a central government, but also state governments (country governments in the EU) that have a lot of power. In contrast, in the UK the central government passes laws that affect all levels (except for devolved regions). Even council budgets are determined by the central UK government (imagine the US federal government determining budgets at country levels - there would be rioting). Indeed I think one of the reasons many elites in the UK pursued Brexit was to centralise their power even further. 'Local power' indeed. I think this is beginning to manifest itself in many ways, including this attempt at removing E2E and also other civil liberties (curtailment of right to protest, removal without notice of citizenship, etc.). Perhaps it will be OK - the UK government won't go too far and imbalance the system too much, but there is no structure preventing that (like checks and balances in the US, or even a written Constitution with a Bill of Rights).
The EU doesn't regulate as much as the the UK govt YET. There's no limit to Brussels' ambitions, and EU states (provinces is a better word) lose powers year by year. You're right of course about the motivations for Brexit, but leaving the EU is harder than getting rid of the Conservatives.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Dont forget, the Labour party wanted to bring in ID Cards back in the mid to late 2000s. They weren’t far right, more centre left! The current PM who most would have said was to the right, spoke out about ID Cards back then and said he would eat the card if he was ever asked to produce it! Now look at him and his policies! Vaccine passports and the highest rate of tax since WWII.

What it tells me is what others have said, different party, same old same old. Labour wouldn’t do any different and even if a miracle occurred and a smaller party like Reform got in, you could bet they’d probably end up same old same old too…

Our House of Commons is filled with self-serving, hypocritical liars.

We need a new Cromwell figure.
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let's throw out all of our privacy and destroy democracy in the process to save some kids. For real? I mean, I want to protect kids as much as the next guy but even if you ban legitimate cryptography, there will always be illegitimate cryptography. You can't just put cryptography back in a box and say "Bad guys don't use this pls ok thx."
The way these predators protect themselves is to point the fingers at others and making it like everyone is potential predators.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Why?

The way Apple wants to implement CSAM scanning, will allow them to enable E2E on all YOUR data. And do it without actually "looking" at any of your photos.

Until the governments tell them that they have to use this “other“ database which scans for pictures of people who regularly attend protest rallies. Apple will then dodge the blame by saying they don’t know what the database contains. “Hey, we thought it was just a regular CSAM database.”

And of course, there is also the “comply with local laws“ to hide behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.