Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
iOS 13.1 Beta, iPhone X
Settings > Cellular Data > Uninstalled Apps (MB)
& I just, Reset Statistics (at the bottom)

I did not delete any apps after selecting “reset”.

Question:
Why does my data usage for uninstalled apps keep climbing? It’s gone up 5MBs in about 20 minutes.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Not really sure, but perhaps it is just bug with the count rather than it actually using any cellular data. I guess one way to find out is if you can check actual cellular data usuage with your provider. Also does it continue to go up even if you turn off cellular data?

Regardless, it is definitely worth sending a bug report if you haven’t already.

Reactions: upandown

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Yes...my data has gone thru the roof while on these betas.
What about with “uninstalled apps”?

Reset your data statistics first then see if uninstalled apps data MBs increases. If you don’t mind..

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
You really can't expect anything to work properly with beta software.
I don’t think I gave any tone that indicated that I was complaining about a potential issue with the beta. I was purely reaching out to see if others have the same issue. And honestly I was leaning towards a past app that was using a tracker after uninstall rather than a beta issue. I was querying the public to get information and not ruling anything out.

Reactions: hxlover904

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I just noticed this problem too
[automerge]1570406928[/automerge]
I also noticed my spotify suddenly was able to go online even though mobile data was off and I am not on wifi.. I toggled the on off again and now its back offline

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I’ve never used beta on my iphone SE and 13.2 is using cellular data fir uninstalled apps. Can’t remember the last time I uninstalled an app on the phone. Trying to trouble shoot battery drain going from 100% to 10% in 30 min.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Mine also shows 9.3MB of cellular data used from “uninstalled apps” so far this month and my cycle is over at the end of the 11th. It’s been showing a few MB’s every month now and I reset my counter at the end of each billing cycle. I haven’t deleted any apps in a few months. I’m on 13.3 iPhone 7. Probably just a bug not high on their radar if at all on their radar.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Mine also shows 9.3MB of cellular data used from “uninstalled apps” so far this month and my cycle is over at the end of the 11th. It’s been showing a few MB’s every month now and I reset my counter at the end of each billing cycle. I haven’t deleted any apps in a few months. I’m on 13.3 iPhone 7. Probably just a bug not high on their radar if at all on their radar.

Except when that “bug” chews through 4 gigs of data in 4 days like mine did. Then it’s a problem.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2019
I have also experienced this issue. Created a post for it as well, though no one seems to have any ideas what it could be.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I’m still consistently seeing a few hundred MBs a month. 13.3.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Out of curiosity, has anybody that has been experiencing this bug, tried signing out of icloud and then signing back in? It seems at times, doing this cures some nagging issues.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Out of curiosity, has anybody that has been experiencing this bug, tried signing out of icloud and then signing back in? It seems at times, doing this cures some nagging issues.
I signed in to a new phone with the same result. No apps uninstalled. Does that count?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I signed in to a new phone with the same result. No apps uninstalled. Does that count?
I was thinking this issue could something with icloud and synching, icloud drive, keychain, or icloud backup etc. So you configured a new phone and you are using cellular data that is showing up in what bucket?

(Also turn off wifi assist if on)

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I was thinking this issue could something with icloud and synching, icloud drive, keychain, or icloud backup etc. So you configured a new phone and you are using cellular data that is showing up in what bucket?

(Also turn off wifi assist if on)
The only bucket we’re talking about. Uninstalled apps.

I don’t see the relationship between synced services and uninstalled apps.

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
I have the same problem since iOS 13.1 (official). Right now on 13.3 it's pretty bad: about 119 MB in a month.
I think it was worse when I was traveling with roaming activated which was especially bad since that was a travel eSIM with limited data.
It would be great if Apple finally figured that out. This bug has been showing sporadically over the years according to my internet forum research.

smb84

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
My wife's phone has had this same problem since ~ 13.3. Hers is using around 1 GB per day between Uninstalled Apps and System Services. This is a major issue and Apple is aware of it. I've been working with their support and they do acknowledge the issue but are unable to provide any ETA for a fix.

@MacRumors - Would you want to feature an article on this issue? I could help with providing content and screenshots.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
I noticed this issue as well. For example, I can do a "Reset Statistics" for Cellular data before going to bed, not touch my phone at all the entire night, and the following morning there will be a few Kb's worth of data next to "Uninstalled Apps". It wouldn't be so annoying if we just knew what it was. It's probably far more common than most people realize too. It's not the kind of issue that would jump out at you unless it was using a lot of data. In my case at least, the "Uninstalled Apps" data usage is fairly low compared to my overall cellular data usage. I just happened to stumble on it one day.

My theory ... I deleted a handful of pre-installed Apple apps right after I setup my phone initially (Apple Music, Podcasts, etc). I wonder if deleting these pre-installed Apple apps truly uninstalls them completely. Perhaps they're still technically "active" and using a little bit of data, but that data usage is now reported under "Uninstalled Apps".

Ninflu

macrumors regular
My theory ... I deleted a handful of pre-installed Apple apps right after I setup my phone initially (Apple Music, Podcasts, etc). I wonder if deleting these pre-installed Apple apps truly uninstalls them completely. Perhaps they're still technically "active" and using a little bit of data, but that data usage is now reported under "Uninstalled Apps".

Well, i like your theory. Let's think about it in another way. It's called Uninstalled Apps. What if iOS Summarizes all Data of all Uninstalled Apps and adds it to this Menue? So the amount of data which has been used before will be added to the menue as soon as it's uninstalled? That doesn't explain why it's still using data so far.

Another idea- worth a shot: If you've a Profile installed (Mobile Device Management) maybe it's put in there too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.