Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
My wife's phone has had this same problem since ~ 13.3. Hers is using around 1 GB per day between Uninstalled Apps and System Services. This is a major issue and Apple is aware of it. I've been working with their support and they do acknowledge the issue but are unable to provide any ETA for a fix.

@MacRumors - Would you want to feature an article on this issue? I could help with providing content and screenshots.
Awesome! I'm so glad you're getting somewhere with this! My one question is, is it just a bug and falsely reporting? Or are there really uninstalled apps stuck on the phone, sending out data..?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I just noticed this issue on my iPhone XR. I got a notification from my carrier that I’ve used 90% of my 8GB of data and I have 11 days left in my billing cycle. My data usage is usually around 4GB per month, so this was pretty strange. I noticed that System Services and Uninstalled apps we’re taking up the majority of my data usage. I Reset my statistics and am keeping a close eye on this now.

This seems to have started around the time I installed iOS 13.3.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Out of the 900MB I used, 360MB came from System Services and Uninstalled Apps. Sometimes it’s a lot more.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Ok, I’ve done some testing on my phone here since I’ve nearly run out of my 8 GB of data.

I saw that my two biggest data using apps were Podcasts and Safari, so I turned cellular data off for both of them.

I then turned off the cellular data on my iPhone and then reset my data statistics so everything was at zero.

I turned my data on for a few minutes at a time when I needed to use it and kept an eye on my cellular stats.

System services used 12MB, which makes sense because that covers my mail and calendar syncing. Uninstalled apps shot up to just over 50MBs. I didn’t uninstall any apps.

Today, I turned my cellular data on for about 10 minutes. In that time, uninstalled apps used over 20MBs, shooting up to 80 MBs

What is going on here?

I'm on iOS 13.3 on an iPhone XR.
Wifi assist is turned off.
I’m using Koodo in Canada.

Any ideas?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I just had a call with Apple support. They suggested I look at the apps that have been offloaded on my phone, as they may still be phoning home to their servers. I only have a 64GB phone, so I have more than a few offloaded apps.

The next course of action they suggested was to contact my carrier. I’ll see what they say, but I don’t have high expectations.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Has anyone figured this one out yet?

I've just noticed this problem on mine and updating to 13.3.1 hasn't helped.

I'd like to figure out which deleted app is causing this, but I can't remember which apps I have, let alone which apps I've deleted.

Right now (Day 2 of my current cycle), I'm at 2.0MB out of 52.9MB of celluar data used. That's about 4% of my total use.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Yup. Everything everyone is trying and have experienced I have already been through. I even tested after a clean installed X. (And noticed the same behavior on a brand new 11Pro) So it’s either nefarious apps that stick to the phone/appleID/phone# after a clean wipe, or it’s a bug in iOS. Honestly at this point I think it’s best if the media picks it up so we can get a reliable response from Apple.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
So it’s either nefarious apps that stick to the phone/appleID/phone# after a clean wipe

Any particular reason you would think that? With so many people experiencing this issue it seems extremely unlikely that Apple would ignore the problem if it was safety/security related, given the mountain of negative publicity that would create.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Any particular reason you would think that? With so many people experiencing this issue it seems extremely unlikely that Apple would ignore the problem if it was safety/security related, given the mountain of negative publicity that would create.
I’m just trying to be comprehensive and list all possibilities. (There could be others) Although, I don’t believe it’s that far fetched for the “nefarious” explanation. There have been shown instances where apps have latched on to a phone even after being wiped, and then phoning home. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for that practice to get adopted by more apps over time. Developers are finding new ways to mine the data they want every day. Not trying to play doom and gloom, I just feel with the way everything has been moving it’s possible.

It’s also possible we don’t even understand the statistic. You’d think it would be simply “uninstalled apps”, but maybe it’s including something else we aren’t aware of. Some back end type of data.

Apple has been much faster in their updates and squashing bugs, but they always have their plate full. No guarantees they’d get to it quickly.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
There have been shown instances where apps have latched on to a phone even after being wiped

I think that's only possible when you factory reset your phone then restore settings from iCloud, instead of setting it up as a "new" phone" though right?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I think that's only possible when you factory reset your phone then restore settings from iCloud, instead of setting it up as a "new" phone" though right?
Nope. Its possible even after a totally clean install.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Goto the App Store, click your user icon in the upper right, click purchase and click "Not on this iPhone". The list will show the install date of apps listed in the order deleted (top being the most recent removal). There is always a chance you forgot about one you deleted, we are human after all.

If it's not that app offloading is typically the issue.

App offloading is the automatic process of removing unused app and reinstalling as needed to conserve storage space. If you goto Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Offload Unused Apps and see its enabled then that is source of increasing uninstalled app cellular usage. Without YOU uninstalling an app nor it appearing to be uninstalled you'll get Uninstalled Apps usage due to iOS offloading the app.

"Uninstalled Apps" itself is just the database of the static sum total for apps that aren't installed (these apps do not have a network usage state so they can't access cellular data). "Uninstalled Apps" isn't an app nor does it have cellular network access. Meaning if App X has 100 mb usage and then is uninstalled it was show 100 mb usage additional to "Uninstalled App". App X can't add more data without it first going through the list again as an app with a "true" network usage state (allows app to access cellular data).

Although I can't speak for every bug in iOS it is safe to assume an error causing Uninstalled Apps to increase is just from mismanagement of the cellular list labeling scheme. Meaning the overall usage is accurate but its reported incorrectly due to app thinning, file downloads of associated files for a deleted app (ex. mkv file with VLC being the player but deleted), cache data downloading, etc. not an app that is actually uninstalled secretly using data. This would be an app functioning at a high level to use data without the core framework to actually function as an app at all.

There could be some sort of remote notification bug that persist on an app that was removed but I doubt that could really be a thing for a couple reason nor do I think it would add up to a significant amount. But anything is possible I guess. OR maybe old version of an app that is "updated" with significant changes requiring re-submittal and review is included in "Uninstalled Apps" since the update is technically a new app. Don't really know just tossing ideas out there.

For those with the time and geeky enough to bother I would recommend downloading Xcode and using the provided tools to watch iPhone data usage.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
Goto the App Store, click your user icon in the upper right, click purchase and click "Not on this iPhone". The list will show the install date of apps listed in the order deleted (top being the most recent removal). There is always a chance you forgot about one you deleted, we are human after all.

If it's not that app offloading is typically the issue.

App offloading is the automatic process of removing unused app and reinstalling as needed to conserve storage space. If you goto Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Offload Unused Apps and see its enabled then that is source of increasing uninstalled app cellular usage. Without YOU uninstalling an app nor it appearing to be uninstalled you'll get Uninstalled Apps usage due to iOS offloading the app.

"Uninstalled Apps" itself is just the database of the static sum total for apps that aren't installed (these apps do not have a network usage state so they can't access cellular data). "Uninstalled Apps" isn't an app nor does it have cellular network access. Meaning if App X has 100 mb usage and then is uninstalled it was show 100 mb usage additional to "Uninstalled App". App X can't add more data without it first going through the list again as an app with a "true" network usage state (allows app to access cellular data).

Although I can't speak for every bug in iOS it is safe to assume an error causing Uninstalled Apps to increase is just from mismanagement of the cellular list labeling scheme. Meaning the overall usage is accurate but its reported incorrectly due to app thinning, file downloads of associated files for a deleted app (ex. mkv file with VLC being the player but deleted), cache data downloading, etc. not an app that is actually uninstalled secretly using data. This would be an app functioning at a high level to use data without the core framework to actually function as an app at all.

There could be some sort of remote notification bug that persist on an app that was removed but I doubt that could really be a thing for a couple reason nor do I think it would add up to a significant amount. But anything is possible I guess. OR maybe old version of an app that is "updated" with significant changes requiring re-submittal and review is included in "Uninstalled Apps" since the update is technically a new app. Don't really know just tossing ideas out there.

For those with the time and geeky enough to bother I would recommend downloading Xcode and using the provided tools to watch iPhone data usage.

Wow, a lot to digest in that post, but thank you for taking the time to post such a well though-out response. I'm new to iOS but a veteran software engineer so a lot of what you describe makes sense to me. I think ultimately everyone will be happy to just have an actual name associated with that "uninstalled apps" so they know what action to take to switch it off.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Good informative insight!

I just want to add that I have never had ‘Offload Unused Apps’ enabled so we can rule that out.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Good informative insight!

I just want to add that I have never had ‘Offload Unused Apps’ enabled so we can rule that out.

Thats unfortunate.

I've been monitoring mine since this your post and it hasn't moved. I'm really curious if an app resubmitted to the app store will cause this because its technically a different app but I can't emulate that.

Is the usage still going up?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I've never understood the 'cellular usage' page. For example, I have a shared 4GB, so this page should concern me, right?

1584273009107.png

Except that doesn't jive with reality

6B1CD8D2-101D-4595-B5A1-B51923FDD5CC.jpeg

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm trying out the free version of the app Lockdown (another tracker and ad blocker - but not just for when on a browser) and it looks like it's log is showing an app I uninstalled some time ago is still trying to 'call home' - or home is trying to call it. Lockdown is preventing it from doing so, but still....

I've tried a hard reboot to see if that would clear stuff, but apparently not in this case.

Apple needs to seriously look at a user-activated 'cleaner' for iOS and / or at the server end so that old gunge can be purged. That might help here.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
This is a real problem. I had this nice surprise with my iPhone. And I didn’t uninstall any apps nor do I have the “offload unused apps“ feature turned on. This was a 4 day period...

i-TbPkhgT-M.jpg

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
This is a real problem. I had this nice surprise with my iPhone. And I didn’t uninstall any apps nor do I have the “offload unused apps“ feature turned on. This was a 4 day period...

i-TbPkhgT-M.jpg

Did it actually use that amount of cellular data though? See my post above as to why I ask...

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Reactions: Bazza1

sjprice85

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
I recently, as in last week switched back to the iPhone and picked up a 11 pro and the only thing I’ve uninstalled are preloaded Apple apps that I don’t care to use, ie; Apple mail and the sort, but it shows that I have data usages as well with uninstalled apps. Is the bug possibly related to uninstalling native apps?
I started the phone from fresh, nothing merged only info from my iCloud account from iPad and Macs was involved in my info being moved.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I recently, as in last week switched back to the iPhone and picked up a 11 pro and the only thing I’ve uninstalled are preloaded Apple apps that I don’t care to use, ie; Apple mail and the sort, but it shows that I have data usages as well with uninstalled apps. Is the bug possibly related to uninstalling native apps?
I started the phone from fresh, nothing merged only info from my iCloud account from iPad and Macs was involved in my info being moved.

I think it's some system level data leak, and the data usage is just being lumped in with uninstalled apps.

One thing I find very odd though, when I look at my data usage on my carrier website, when I actually use data it's always an odd number, like 7.3115 MB. When this data glitch is in action, it's a perfectly round number. 80.0000MB. 180.0000 MB.

I have an 8GB data plan, which is plenty for my regular usage. But with this glitch, I have to turn my cellular data off when I'm on wifi to avoid going over my 8GB. And yes, it's using cellular data even when I'm on wifi, and yes, I have wifi assist turned off.

Data usage statistics from carrier website:

10:21amData Usage80.0000 MB$0.00
11:00amData Usage7.3115 MB$0.00
12:21pmData Usage0.0508 MB$0.00
2:23pmData Usage40.0000 MB$0.00
3:56pmData Usage20.0000 MB$0.00
4:06pmData Usage180.0000 MB$0.00
5:38pmData Usage80.0000 MB$0.00
6:38pmData Usage10.9902 MB$0.00
8:37pmData Usage0.0020 MB$0.00
10:38pmData Usage3.6094 MB$0.00

Reactions: upandown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.