Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Ummm, to save money? Lots of people buy last year’s tech at a discount to current tech, still great products, but at lower prices
I realised I did not reply to your comment. Yes I agree it is actually smart to buy the previous model to a better price, especially since there has not been significant changes between iphone 11-13?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
ha
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered😢
have you tried in stores to see if u got a lemon maybe? that could happen

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
But the 11 does not have an Oled screen?
11 has a LCD display. 11 pro has an OLED display. 12 and beyond has an OLED display. Eye strain can be caused by an OLED display, so you can fix that by reverting to the 11.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered?
Also, regarding the screen issues, I would send it to apple so they can repair it. That should be covered by limited warranty.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
So did the OP went to check another unit? Sorry didn't read all the thread but the suspance is killing me

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Turn the brightness down and stick a JETech TPU case on it. Sorted.

It took a few days to get used to the OLED on my 12 when I got it as the contrast was insane compared the XR it replaced. But now I’m sitting here on a 13 pro and I wouldn’t go back.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
11 has a LCD display. 11 pro has an OLED display. 12 and beyond has an OLED display. Eye strain can be caused by an OLED display, so you can fix that by reverting to the 11.
No I don't like LCD?. I went from X to 13. I guess there has been many changes during the last four years I was on my X:)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I was finally able to figure out what PMW stands for (google) and yes! I was thinking to my self it seems like a "flickering" aswell, more noticeble in a dark room. Does this mean a 13 "pulsates faster/more often then a X?

I don't have a 12 in house but I have a friend who has one, I have to wait for her visit or me visiting her to check our phones side by side

Yes, please check. If the 12 feels fine, you have that option to upgrade to if the iPhone 14 does not fit your bill still.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Yes, please check. If the 12 feels fine, you have that option to upgrade to if the iPhone 14 does not fit your bill still.
Thank you! No I'm stuck with the 13 for two years;p due to the contract made with my carrier. But the plan is to give the phone away after 2 years to a family member and upgrade. I usually keep my phones for 4-5 years so this will be a first^^

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thank you! No I'm stuck with the 13 for two years;p due to the contract made with my carrier. But the plan is to give the phone away after 2 years to a family member and upgrade. I usually keep my phones for 4-5 years so this will be a first^^

Oh, you bought a 13. I missed that somewhere. Well, in that case, please play around with Display settings under Accessibility to maybe find a balance that you can live with? :)

Reactions: ru-e

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Omg the brighness issue;Solved! I was going through the "Accessebility" for both phones side by side. Turns out, the 13 was set on "reduce white point 60%", while the X was not reduced. I turned off the reduce white point on the 13 and voila, the screen gets as bright as the X!
So, who turned on the accessibility? ?

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Oh, you bought a 13. I missed that somewhere. Well, in that case, please play around with Display settings under Accessibility to maybe find a balance that you can live with? :)
Lol I understand. I actually should have not started this thread? Had I just waited one day or two I would have gotten over it as I seem to have gotten used to the screen now and also love the form of the 13 aswell. I started the thread just when I had unboxed and started the 13.

I felt initially like the guy in that meme video "My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined"?

The PMW really freaked me out though, before I knew what PMW was (learned about the term and fenomenon PMW thanks to you guys on this thread!) so thats mostly why I started this thread!

I did try to end this theread 1-2 pages back! With "I'm keeping the 13, case closed" but comments still came in so my ending post got lost?

Reactions: macintoshmac

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Lol I understand. I actually should have not started this thread? Had I just waited one day or two I would have gotten over it as I seem to have gotten used to the screen now and also love the form of the 13 aswell. I started the thread just when I had unboxed and started the 13.

I felt initially like the guy in that meme video "My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined"?

The PMW really freaked me out though, before I knew what PMW was (learned about the term and fenomenon PMW thanks to you guys on this thread!) so thats mostly why I started this thread!

I did try to end this theread 1-2 pages back! With "I'm keeping the 13, case closed" but comments still came in so my ending post got lost?
You iPhone X uses a 240Hz PWM.

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I would try factory resetting your phone and see how the screen looks then. If you already found one setting that transferred over from your old phone that messed with your display, then who knows what other settings are doing the same. I didn't even know display settings transferred from one phone to another. At least you can then get an idea of how the screen looks from the factory to help make a decision.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

You can always cut your financial losses and go back to a device (or buy a new device) that works for you, but you cannot replace your eyes that easily. Freaking out about something that is causing you issues with eyes is normal, it's justified! Be careful and do not hesitate to do what you must to keep yourself healthy. Health first!

Reactions: ru-e

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I would try factory resetting your phone and see how the screen looks then. If you already found one setting that transferred over from your old phone that messed with your display, then who knows what other settings are doing the same. I didn't even know display settings transferred from one phone to another. At least you can then get an idea of how the screen looks from the factory to help make a decision.
Yes that is a great idea! I'll try it asap! Thank you!

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
You can always cut your financial losses and go back to a device (or buy a new device) that works for you, but you cannot replace your eyes that easily. Freaking out about something that is causing you issues with eyes is normal, it's justified! Be careful and do not hesitate to do what you must to keep yourself healthy. Health first!
Aww thank you for your kind comment! Its not much loss financially as its via my carrier, I will pay monthly for the device (2 years) plus my carrier services (the phone will cost me, converted to dollars, 100 dollars less in the end, better then nothing lol).
Yes eyesight is important indeed!

I was however so focused on the screen I did not found out how bad the image post processing is before today lol, now I have bigger problems?? I'll head over to the iphone 13 camera problems thread and rant there ?

Reactions: vddobrev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.