Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Aww thank you for your kind comment! Its not much loss financially as its via my carrier, I will pay monthly for the device (2 years) plus my carrier services (the phone will cost me, converted to dollars, 100 dollars less in the end, better then nothing lol).
Yes eyesight is important indeed!

I was however so focused on the screen I did not found out how bad the image post processing is before today lol, now I have bigger problems?? I'll head over to the iphone 13 camera problems thread and rant there ?

Looks like you just discovered that you cannot disable Smart HDR for your photos.

Reactions: Populus and ru-e

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Had to fire up my iPhone 11 yesterday to lookup some info. Held it side by side with the 13 mini. Gotta say to my eyes the 11 screen looked much better. Look I know OLED is supposed to have deeper blacks and greater dynamic range and the 13 has higher resolution and much greater ppi. That’s nice and all, but it’s all just specs. The 13 was so yellow and ironically looked dull for lack of a word (both phones set to same brightness, True Tone, white point, etc). I’m ok with that, the phone to me is just an appliance so I didn’t buy it because of the screen or specs. It was a great trade in deal and that was it

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Had to fire up my iPhone 11 yesterday to lookup some info. Held it side by side with the 13 mini. Gotta say to my eyes the 11 screen looked much better. Look I know OLED is supposed to have deeper blacks and greater dynamic range and the 13 has higher resolution and much greater ppi. That’s nice and all, but it’s all just specs. The 13 was so yellow and ironically looked dull for lack of a word (both phones set to same brightness, True Tone, white point, etc). I’m ok with that, the phone to me is just an appliance so I didn’t buy it because of the screen or specs. It was a great trade in deal and that was it
I totally agree with you, its just a device, and I am also now very used to my 13. The screen feels much better then the X and the form and weigh of the phone etc is also much better then the X. I'm sold on it now:p (except for the horrid HDR in image processing)

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Aww thank you for your kind comment! Its not much loss financially as its via my carrier, I will pay monthly for the device (2 years) plus my carrier services (the phone will cost me, converted to dollars, 100 dollars less in the end, better then nothing lol).
Yes eyesight is important indeed!

I was however so focused on the screen I did not found out how bad the image post processing is before today lol, now I have bigger problems?? I'll head over to the iphone 13 camera problems thread and rant there ?

I feel you on the overprocessing. Do try playing around with the picture profiles in the camera a bit to see if you can arrive at an image style that is more suited to your tastes.

Reactions: ru-e

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
While I can't say my 13 screen is "bad", I like my 13 mini screen better.
Agreed. iPhone 13 Mini looks more vibrant and sharper overall. The difference is impressive for those that notice display differences beyond size.

Having owned every iPhone 13 model besides iPhone 13 Pro Max I’d rank them as iPhone 13 Mini > iPhone 13 > iPhone 13 Pro in terms of overall display quality. iPhone 13 Pro Max would probably be somewhere in the top 3.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I feel you on the overprocessing. Do try playing around with the picture profiles in the camera a bit to see if you can arrive at an image style that is more suited to your tastes.

Thank you! I hoped they would fix it with the latest Ios 15 update but nope, its still there. Right now I do my best to not zoom in to avoid the telephoto lens.

Without ranting too much, I have a really hard time understanding, what Apple was thinking with their cameras for the 13. The image quality for the telephoto; HDR horrorshow + they don't let you to choose when the cams should transition according to a tech youtuber. Which sucks for the iphone models with the macro mode.

13 is my just third iphone ( I had the 5SE, X and now 13) so I'm not sure if this is how Apple usually operates? Do they rush imperfect products? Half-assed cameras etc? Anyways it is what it is..

Last edited:

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Thank you! I hoped they would fix it with the latest Ios 15 update but nope, its still there. Right now I do my best to not zoom in to avoid the telephoto lens.

Without ranting too much, I have a really hard time understandting, what Apple was thinking with their cameras for the 13. The image quality for the telephoto; HDR horrorshow + they don't let you to choose when the cams should transition according to a tech youtuber. Which sucks for the iphone models with the macro mode.

13 is my just third iphone ( I had the 5SE, X and now 13) so I'm not sure if this is how Apple usually operates? Do they rush imperfect products? Half-assed cameras etc? Anyways it is what it is..

I don't think the update will rectify anything. This is just the "look" that the iPhone has gravitated towards over the course of many years.

To be honest, apart from the confident & punchy look of the Pixel, I still prefer the iPhone look compared to almost every other phone, despite the overprocessing. Since you're coming at this whole thing with a history of 3 older iPhones and no other manufacturers, it's easy to forget the severe size limitations of a phone chassis. There is a reason that even semi-professional grade SLRs and DSLRs have substantially larger optics and internals. Phones are intensely limited spatially as computational photography can only do so much with objectively miniature lenses & sensors compared to what's on a real camera. Most android phones still have fairly substandard computational post-processing (in my opinion) and compensate with ridiculously spec'd out cameras to capture more detail instead of reading the light correctly. Apple has gone the opposite way, where it's still humble in the hardware department, but has enough R&D muscle to drive machine learning & AI research to augment its photos. Like I said before, I do think the Pixel has struck the best balance of hardware + software in terms of camera specifically, but I still prefer iOS as my overall operating system, so that's that. If i could replace my iPhone's camera with the Pixel's and still keep the rest of the phone intact, you can bet everything that that's what I would do.

Regarding macro mode, I believe there is now a toggle somewhere in the settings menu that disables that auto-switch which happens when your camera gets too close to a subject. I might be wrong though since I don't actually have a newer iPhone and am going off of some YouTube video I vaguely remember mentioning that.

Last edited:

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered?
upgrade to a 13pro you’ll be better off

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Regarding macro mode, I believe there is not a toggle somewhere in the settings menu that disables that auto-switch which happens when your camera gets too close to a subject. I might be wrong though since I don't actually have a newer iPhone and am going off of some YouTube video I vaguely remember mentioning that.
Macro mode is engaged on the 13 Pro/Max when the macro flower is pressed in the camera app.

IMG_0395.jpeg

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I don't think the update will rectify anything. This is just the "look" that the iPhone has gravitated towards over the course of many years.

To be honest, apart from the confident & punchy look of the Pixel, I still prefer the iPhone look compared to almost every other phone, despite the overprocessing. Since you're coming at this whole thing with a history of 3 older iPhones and no other manufacturers, it's easy to forget the severe size limitations of a phone chassis. There is a reason that even semi-professional grade SLRs and DSLRs have substantially larger optics and internals. Phones are intensely limited spatially as computational photography can only do so much with objectively miniature lenses & sensors compared to what's on a real camera. Most android phones still have fairly substandard computational post-processing (in my opinion) and compensate with ridiculously spec'd out cameras to capture more detail instead of reading the light correctly. Apple has gone the opposite way, where it's still humble in the hardware department, but has enough R&D muscle to drive machine learning & AI research to augment its photos. Like I said before, I do think the Pixel has struck the best balance of hardware + software in terms of camera specifically, but I still prefer iOS as my overall operating system, so that's that. If i could replace my iPhone's camera with the Pixel's and still keep the rest of the phone intact, you can bet everything that that's what I would do.

Regarding macro mode, I believe there is now a toggle somewhere in the settings menu that disables that auto-switch which happens when your camera gets too close to a subject. I might be wrong though since I don't actually have a newer iPhone and am going off of some YouTube video I vaguely remember mentioning that.
I don't really understand the points you made (I blame it on lost in translation, english is not my language). When I compare my iphone X,s video image quality with the lens zoomed in to the max zoom vs the iphone 13 and how the image looks zoomed in, the 13 is garbage, the HDR is nauseating, looks like a bad cartoon. I don't understand, where are the improvements? How can X have better image quality then 13? I don't know what Appple had to trade in/compramise for their cameras on the 13 but what ever it was, to me they are miles off.

I mean, I don't need to understand what they did and why, I can see the end product with my own eyes and the results are bad and thats the only important part in the end.

For me it is very simple, I do not need the overly processing thing iphone 13 does with its image process software. I just want the HDR processing (and the automatic lens choise aswell) gone, thats it.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
No one I know shares your concerns. Either you just don’t like it, have the settings all screwed up, or have a defective unit. By any measure they are improvements over the X (which I still have and love)
I share his concerns. I think he 13 pro is way too heavy and not comfortable to hold. The X was way better in my hand as is the 11 pro.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Admittedly I don’t love the display on iPhone 13 either. It looks oddly lackluster compared to iPhone 13 Mini.

I wonder what degree of panel variance applies. I remember last year one of the demo iPhone 12 Pro models being significantly more vibrant and more punchy compared to the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro next to it. Even the store employee and my friend agreed. Notebookcheck also seems to generally measure the 12/13 models as being better than the standard Pro, while the Max is reliably vibrant and accurate.

One of the reasons I’m likely sticking with the Mini and already reset my iPhone 13 is due to display quality being better on the Mini. It’s so pleasant to look at the vibrant colors and the pure white it displays, the best of any iPhone I’ve seen, which theoretically also boosts contrast.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru-e and Martyimac

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I share his concerns. I think he 13 pro is way too heavy and not comfortable to hold. The X was way better in my hand as is the 11 pro.
I am a she:p I agree, the pro versions usually are too heavy in general for me aswell.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Admittedly I don’t love the display on iPhone 13 either. It looks oddly lackluster compared to iPhone 13 Mini.

I wonder what degree of panel variance applies. I remember last year one of the demo iPhone 12 Pro models being significantly more vibrant and more punchy compared to the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro next to it. Even the store employee and my friend agreed. Notebookcheck also seems to generally measure the 12/13 models as being better than the standard Pro, while the Max is reliably vibrant and accurate.

One of the reasons I’m likely sticking with the Mini and already reset my iPhone 13 is due to display quality being better on the Mini. It’s so pleasant to look at the vibrant colors and the pure white it displays, the best of any iPhone I’ve seen, which theoretically also boosts contrast.
So it seems the screen panels of Apple products vary in appearance etc. To me, this does not sound good. I understand it can be hard to maintain the same exact appearance for every panel produced, but Apple should implement better quality checks atleast. Quality before quantity. I wonder just how much of Apples product quality is perceived quality amongst us consumers.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered?
iphone 5SE doesnt exist. its a iPhone SE 1Gen.
about the screen of ur iphone 13 maybe u have a defect screen? return it to apple and let it get checked but if u HATE iphone 13 so much return it and get a iphone X

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
There is nothing else for me at this point. I'm to used to iphones. So its either my X or no phone I guess.. I'm more curious if someone else have issues with the screen? It is seriously blurry and gives me an eye strain. The X is Oled screen aswell and never had any issues with it so its not Oled related
You could grab an iPhone 11 Pro. Last of it's kind. I just picked up a brand new XS, sealed in box. Hard to find but they are out there.

Reactions: whattodo11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.