Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I have the exact same problem,

Would you guys change the unit or wait for the next iOS update to see if it get’s fixed? I tried resetting it as a new iPad that didn’t change anything.

Get a replacement. Life’s too short to be dealing with shiet not working properly. Lol.
[doublepost=1534373527][/doublepost]
So.... my replacement iPad started acting up two days ago. Same BS as before although not quite as bad as my original. Scrolling was intermittently not responding, even just swiping between desktop pages. I couldn’t believe it. Powered off and back on, no difference.

I had read somewhere about the Apple Pencil causing issues for some. My Bluetooth was off but I did have an Apple Pencil paired. I turned Bluetooth on, unpaired the pencil (forget this device) and then turned off Bluetooth again. No problems since.

I’m at a loss to explain it.

How has it been working since?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I followed Seadragon’s advice for my 10.5 and disconnected my pencil and AirPods and then switched bluetooth off and back on again. 30 minutes of use with no lag and my iPad is flying along. Unbelieveably quick at the moment. I am wondering if there is a bug in iOS 11.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I also see this on my 2017 12.9 Pro. It seems to have started when the latest (11.4.1) iOS version came around. Anyone else seeing it? Hoping it's software and they fix it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Just an FYI, some of my issues that I had with the iPad Pro (browser not advancing, or shaking in place) are also present on my 2018 iPad. Unpaired my Pencil and turned off multitasking gestures. Hopefully, these will make that stop.

The 2018 came with 11.3. Amazing /s

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
My replacement iPad has been great. Very responsive screen. I’m now kicking myself for waiting so long (just over a year) to get it replaced. My new iPad makes me realize just how bad my original one was.

My only advice now is if you’re dealing with this issue, don’t waste time hoping it’s a software issue and just take it in to the Apple Store. It’s defective hardware.

But how do you prove that my iPad has a problem if the problem is random?

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
It would be interesting if someone who has the issue on an IPad running 11.4.1 but is capable of rolling back to an older iOS version to see if the problem disappears. That would clear up the "is it hardware, or is it iOS?" question. I find it hard to buy that this is hardware, and tha suddenly after 6-18 months iPads all of a sudden start having screen sensitivity hardware issues.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It would be interesting if someone who has the issue on an IPad running 11.4.1 but is capable of rolling back to an older iOS version to see if the problem disappears. That would clear up the "is it hardware, or is it iOS?" question. I find it hard to buy that this is hardware, and tha suddenly after 6-18 months iPads all of a sudden start having screen sensitivity hardware issues.

I had the problem well before iOS 11.4.

It is a hardware issue.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I had the problem well before iOS 11.4.

It is a hardware issue.

Any theories on how a digital touchscreen can be intermittent and not fail entirely? And can be improved temporarily by resetting the iPad? Because that doesn't make me think hardware.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Apple took in my iPad for repair. They ran extensive tests and found no problem with the hardware. they didn’t even manage to reproduce the error… Their theory is that they reset the ipad, reinstalled the ios and that this solved the problem. i’m testing the ipad now and i have zero irresponsiveness… So i don’t really think this is necessarily hardware related

Reactions: Aussi3

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hello all, after the last two updates my ipad pro 12.9’ 2nd gen has issues with not responsive screen often. I need to exit the application or click the home button multiple times or lock the screen and all goes well after. Did a factory reset but nothing helped. Anyone else with the same issue? I hope it is software

Mine is not responsive but if I toggle the on-off button, meaning the screen goes dark for like one second, my screen goes back to normal. Here’s my theory. Overtime, the screen builds static charge due to the environment. The clothes I wear, the chair I sit on, the sandals I wear etc. Refreshing the screen kills the static charge but it will rebuild when I use it again.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Mine is not responsive but if I toggle the on-off button, meaning the screen goes dark for like one second, my screen goes back to normal. Here’s my theory. Overtime, the screen builds static charge due to the environment. The clothes I wear, the chair I sit on, the sandals I wear etc. Refreshing the screen kills the static charge but it will rebuild when I use it again.
Which would explain why it seems to get worse when charging

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I noticed that mine seems to act up more when the moon is or is near full. I think magnetism might have an effect based on the shift of earth’s tides. Or the water falling off the edge since everyone knows the earth is really flat, just like the iPad. Coincidence?

Reactions: g75d3

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I noticed that mine seems to act up more when the moon is or is near full. I think magnetism might have an effect based on the shift of earth’s tides. Or the water falling off the edge since everyone knows the earth is really flat, just like the iPad. Coincidence?
As funny as useful

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
And on 11.4.1 still having issues with frozen scrolling on certain websites. I am thinking it is iOS + Safari, and/or the site itself. Glad I did not buy another iPP right now.

It concerns me that folks are still having problems with their 2nd gen iPPs though. I hope Apple sorts this pronto.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Just to provide a data point, I have the 2nd generation 12.9 that I got last Summer, fully updated and haven't had any of these issues. I do have a glass screen protector on it.
My iPad has started to show these systems now. Off to the Apple store to see what they say.

weedevil

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
Lags happen when i toggle between using hand gestures and pencil on my iPad Pro gen 2 12.9.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I dunno... It’s been a week and a half since I turned off multitasking gestures and I haven’t had screen response issues since. I have kept the Apple Pencil paired and charged, its mounted behind the iPad Pro 12.9 in a sleeve. I wonder if there may be different screen response issues if the gesture issue isn’t the cause for some of you.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I have the exact same problem,

Would you guys change the unit or wait for the next iOS update to see if it get’s fixed? I tried resetting it as a new iPad that didn’t change anything.

Geez was thinking of buying a practically new iPad Pro 2 gen 256gb WiFi/cellular for $725 now hearing all these issues I may just wait

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Geez was thinking of buying a practically new iPad Pro 2 gen 256gb WiFi/cellular for $725 now hearing all these issues I may just wait
Yeah my lags are occurring now after Apple not recognising the error. I get most lags on Youtube app now funnily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.