Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Well like I said, it’s a personal choice. Not having to deal with 3rd parties is a big deal for me personally, so I do find value in AC.
Oh I don’t deal with third parties either. (Not sure if you were responding to me)

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
That's interesting. A company makes a defective product so the response is to reward the company by giving them more money? :oops:

Yeah I can certainly understand the sentiment of your post in response to what I'm suggesting. I personally don't feel that I've rewarded them since I applied $200 in savings that was available when I purchased the first 12.9 towards AC+ coverage. At the time I had no idea that I would end up having issues with the device, I purchased the coverage because I was intending to use the iPad out in the field with significant risk of being dropped etc.

As of now, a few months after converting to monthly AC+ coverage, my total outlay is still below retail cost of the device. You're right though, and the duration of how long I keep AC+ on this device was on my mind when I converted to monthly. I had set a date of May this year which is the break even point for me on total outlay before I've paid more than retail for the iPad Pro (AC included).

Hopefully by then I have a decision path in mind as to whether to hold onto the gen 2 and continue to pay for AC+, upgrade to a refurb 2018/2020 or buy into a 2021. I can go find something else but there aren't a lot of compelling options out there with similar workflows and performance, and I'm not interested in dropping down to the base models as there's nothing to gain by doing that over the gen 2 12.9.

Oh I don’t deal with third parties either. (Not sure if you were responding to me)
Nope not you, @pdoherty's suggestion was don't pay for AC if you have extended warranty through a CC company. I consider that 3rd party as one has to file a claim with them and not Apple directly.

All told I'd say AC+ saved me on the purchase of the gen 2 12.9, enough so that I'll at least consider it on future purchases. I've made other Apple product purchases since the 12.9, some with AC and some without. It all depends on risk evaluation for me.

Reactions: crashnburn

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I wonder with the new 2021 12.9” XDR screen the touch issues will have gone?

I’m not too sure about the 11” whether that receives a new type of screen layer or not, if it’s the same as the previous years, then I presume touch issues will happen again :(

Reactions: g75d3

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Yeah I can certainly understand the sentiment of your post in response to what I'm suggesting. I personally don't feel that I've rewarded them since I applied $200 in savings that was available when I purchased the first 12.9 towards AC+ coverage. At the time I had no idea that I would end up having issues with the device, I purchased the coverage because I was intending to use the iPad out in the field with significant risk of being dropped etc.

As of now, a few months after converting to monthly AC+ coverage, my total outlay is still below retail cost of the device. You're right though, and the duration of how long I keep AC+ on this device was on my mind when I converted to monthly. I had set a date of May this year which is the break even point for me on total outlay before I've paid more than retail for the iPad Pro (AC included).

Hopefully by then I have a decision path in mind as to whether to hold onto the gen 2 and continue to pay for AC+, upgrade to a refurb 2018/2020 or buy into a 2021. I can go find something else but there aren't a lot of compelling options out there with similar workflows and performance, and I'm not interested in dropping down to the base models as there's nothing to gain by doing that over the gen 2 12.9.

Nope not you, @pdoherty's suggestion was don't pay for AC if you have extended warranty through a CC company. I consider that 3rd party as one has to file a claim with them and not Apple directly.

All told I'd say AC+ saved me on the purchase of the gen 2 12.9, enough so that I'll at least consider it on future purchases. I've made other Apple product purchases since the 12.9, some with AC and some without. It all depends on risk evaluation for me.
Using an excel file to keep track of this? Please do share :D

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Using an excel file to keep track of this? Please do share :D
A spreadsheet is not really necessary as it was an estimation; when I got my ipad it was $200 below retail, so I applied that savings towards AC+ by paying $129 for 2-year AC+ coverage. Apple started allowing conversion to monthly subscription of $6/mo in advance of when my coverage expired (expiration was in august of 2020) so by May of this year (considering tax) that $70 or so in remaining savings would be depleted and I would have paid more than the $200 that I saved off of retail for the device for AppleCare+ coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.