Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
And people with messed up iPads - when are you upgrading again, if ever?

Mine without touch issues As far as i can tell but spotlighting thats pretty obvious but not gotten worse I think I’m still going to go at least another year or two if i can restrain

spent $700 for this 64gb and want to ride it out and get my money’s worth

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

Mine without touch issues As far as i can tell but spotlighting thats pretty obvious but not gotten worse I think I’m still going to go at least another year or two if i can restrain

spent $700 for this 64gb and want to ride it out and get my money’s worth

Holding out for now since I am still working from home and not relying on my iPad Pro for much other than recreational browsing and media consumption. I don’t expect to return fully to office life until 2021 at which point I will likely upgrade to a new pro. I’m on month to month AC+ with this gen 2 12.9 so I’ll tolerate the touch issue for a bit longer before doing something about it.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

I had two 12.9s that went bad. I bought the 2020 12.9 but returned it within the return window when I realized nothing structurally had changed and bought a refurb 10.5 Pro which is working great.

I personally won’t be buying another 12.9 until/unless Apple strengthens the case (like going fully-square slab sides and the unit is obviously stronger.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
My iPad Pro 9.7 has been doing this since it was new. It happens very rarely though, but the only way to remedy the issue is to press the power button to put it to sleep, then press the home button. No spotlighting though.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

I'm probably going to give the new Air a try. I'd like to get a larger iPad but the cost is too high now for what they are (from my original 12.9" purchase the price is about $300 higher).

I'm definitely getting AppleCare+ because of my previous experience and the fact that the latest models are foldable.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Definitely hardware. The version of iOS/iPadOS makes no difference and neither does what app is loaded.

Perhaps. My new 2018 Pro (purchased Nov/2018) had zero problems, initially, then over several months the screen freeze problem slowly increased. Over a few months I got used to it being an occasional PITA. Then, somewhere along the line, whether after an iOS Update or not, I just happened to notice the screen freeze was completely gone. It’s been glitch free for at least a year now. Maybe it somehow fixed itself hardware wise, but more likely a change to the software/OS cured it.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Perhaps. My new 2018 Pro (purchased Nov/2018) had zero problems, initially, then over several months the screen freeze problem slowly increased. Over a few months I got used to it being an occasional PITA. Then, somewhere along the line, whether after an iOS Update or not, I just happened to notice the screen freeze was completely gone. It’s been glitch free for at least a year now. Maybe it somehow fixed itself hardware wise, but more likely a change to the software/OS cured it.

Totally believe that your issue resolved itself and am wondering if multiple issues with overlapping symptoms is the answer. For software cures to be true for all the positive outcome would have to be universally applicable to others but as evidenced by some of us here that is not the case.

One update that I can report on is that since removing my 12.9 gen 2 from the case that I had it in up until a month or so ago and the changes in usage patterns (no longer carrying it in a stuffed backpack) the touch screen issue is greatly reduced for me. I still think it is hardware on mine.

Reactions: Codeseven

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I will be acquiring a used 2nd gen 2017 iPPro 12.9.

Q1: Any Steps / How to to check for the Unresponsive Screen bugs mentioned above & in this thread?

AND

Q2: Is there some old thread from 2017/18 where people discussed 12.9 Cases / Covers from back then? on this forum or others. Would like to go through that for peoples choices & experiences.

Last edited:

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I will be acquiring a used 2nd gen 2017 iPPro 12.9.

Q1: Any Steps / How to to check for the Unresponsive Screen bugs mentioned above & in this thread?

AND

Q2: Is there some old thread from 2017/18 where people discussed 12.9 Cases / Covers from back then? on this forum or others. Would like to go through that for peoples choices & experiences.
Unless the issue is really bad (mine was by the time I got rid of it) it's going to be difficult to tell.

However, it's my opinion that the 1st and 2nd gen. 12.9" iPad Pros are just bad models to get. Between the unresponsive screen issue and the backlight spotlighting, I think you should stay away from them if you can. I'd suggest looking for a used 2018 or 2020 model (or even an Air 4). I know those models are going to be more expensive, but if you look around the forums you'll find there's fewer reports of issues with them (still early for the Air 4, but since it's modeled after the 11" Pro it's probably a safe bet).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Not surprised, the iPad Air 4 is developing heat related touch issues now. :rolleyes: And both of our 7th gen’s have touch problems too.

If I continue, I’ll stick with the cheapest iPads on sale. If it was safe to travel, I’d go to the Apple store and politely ask if I could exchange iPA4 for credit. I’ll sell or trade the iPA4 in as soon as it’s accepted.

Disappointed in Apple’s refusal to address this and my impulse purchases.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
My gen 2 12.9 as started behaving doing this over last few weeks where it’s getting frustrating.
During the UK‘s 2nd lockdown I logged the fault with customer care, so now that the stores are open
with get an appointment and the unit swapped out under warranty ( under the 12 month warranty until Jan 21 )

Take it Apple are aware of the fault and issue and will be able to tell. does happen all the time but seems to be getting worse

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Not surprised, the iPad Air 4 is developing heat related touch issues now. :rolleyes: And both of our 7th gen’s have touch problems too.

If I continue, I’ll stick with the cheapest iPads on sale. If it was safe to travel, I’d go to the Apple store and politely ask if I could exchange iPA4 for credit. I’ll sell or trade the iPA4 in as soon as it’s accepted.

Disappointed in Apple’s refusal to address this and my impulse purchases.
Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing. :(

That's (cheapest iPads) what I've been saying for some time now... though it isn't a popular sentiment among the Apple faithful. The base iPads have been the best value (price / performance / manufacturing quality) starting with the release of the iPad 6th gen.

I'm having a blast with my Mini 5 (the Apple Pencil support + re-using Mini 4 covers/cases) but if I wanted a larger iPad, I'd get the 8th gen iPad in a heartbeat. It's a great device.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing. :(

That's (cheapest iPads) what I've been saying for some time now... though it isn't a popular sentiment among the Apple faithful. The base iPads have been the best value (price / performance / manufacturing quality) starting with the release of the iPad 6th gen.

I'm having a blast with my Mini 5 (the Apple Pencil support + re-using Mini 4 covers/cases) but if I wanted a larger iPad, I'd get the 8th gen iPad in a heartbeat. It's a great device.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the heat related touch irresponsive issues have hit every single iPad mom and I have owned since 2017 including the Mini 5 and base models. As mom's 7th gen was defective (and we could not return to the 3rd party seller), I had to buy her another one, so I bought two 8th gens on sale. That'll be my way to go, the absolute cheapest iPads.

I agree with your assessment that the base iPad is the best value.

Anyway, I wish Apple would fix the irresponsive screen/touch issues, it just breaks my heart that they have not done this yet.

I am glad your Mini 5 is so great.

Reactions: pdoherty

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Sadly while I don’t think that it is widespread enough to affect the majority of devices, I have experienced it a couple of times now which is enough for me personally to make getting AppleCare+ a serious decision when purchasing an iPad pro or air. I have just received another express replacement 12.9 (my 3rd 12.9 now), renewing my love for the 12.9 once again. Very thankful to have AC+ coverage.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
No reason to get AppleCare, IMO. Just buy with your credit card and, if it’s like my Citi card, you automatically get two extra years of warranty on top of any manufacturer’s warranty (regardless of its initial length). AC is probably more convenient since the Apple store will handle it directly but it also costs extra $ on top of already-expensive hardware.

B1D5F272-2280-4DF7-89D3-9E8692253BBC.jpeg

0A1CDB7D-789E-4ABD-BE95-3B82CF81B0AB.jpeg

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No reason to get AppleCare, IMO. Just buy with your credit card and, if it’s like my Citi card, you automatically get two extra years of warranty on top of any manufacturer’s warranty (regardless of its initial length). AC is probably more convenient since the Apple store will handle it directly but it also costs extra $ on top of already-expensive hardware.

View attachment 1720194

View attachment 1720195
Unfortunately my citi card stopped offering purchase protection before I got it. I read that citi dropped PP for most of their cards.

But I still never buy AC+. I always rather just roll the dice since I usually don’t have hardware issues with Apple products, and when I do the issues don’t always show up in the first two years. One of my iPhones died its 3rd year.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Well like I said, it’s a personal choice. Not having to deal with 3rd parties is a big deal for me personally, so I do find value in AC.

Reactions: rui no onna

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Sadly while I don’t think that it is widespread enough to affect the majority of devices, I have experienced it a couple of times now which is enough for me personally to make getting AppleCare+ a serious decision when purchasing an iPad pro or air. I have just received another express replacement 12.9 (my 3rd 12.9 now), renewing my love for the 12.9 once again. Very thankful to have AC+ coverage.
That's interesting. A company makes a defective product so the response is to reward the company by giving them more money? :oops:

Reactions: g75d3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.