Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Does anyone know how to totally fix this issue?
I often press home/power button then the problem has gone. After that, it comes back.
ipad newest version/12.9 gen 2.

Sadly no. I have been through 5 IPP 12.9 G2 models and still have the issue. You can do little things that temporarily “fixes” the touch issue but it always comes back. Still do not know what causes it. These days I use it mostly as a video device.

On the flip side, the IPP 11 has had no issue with the touch at all.

1ove

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Sadly no. I have been through 5 IPP 12.9 G2 models and still have the issue. You can do little things that temporarily “fixes” the touch issue but it always comes back. Still do not know what causes it. These days I use it mostly as a video device.

On the flip side, the IPP 11 has had no issue with the touch at all.
Would you like to share how you fix that?
Everytime I get touch issue, I just reopen apps or turn off screen and turn on again.
but as you said “it comes back again”

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Would you like to share how you fix that?
Everytime I get touch issue, I just reopen apps or turn off screen and turn on again.
but as you said “it comes back again”

Touch issue: the touch will either semi-register or fail to register at all.
Semi-register is either intermittent register fail or certain areas will fail to register while other areas of the screen work fine. I use an ASK most time as it always works. The Pencil usually works at all times.

When I have touch issues I go through a couple of steps. The touch fail is a screen, not an app issue.
1. I will shut off the screen and turn it back on.
2. I will reboot the iPad.
3. I will hard reboot the ipad.
4. I will give the device a gentle flex - convex works better than concave.
5. Worst case - wipe and restore.

Usually 1 or 2 will work. 3 seems to work seldom. 4. works pretty well. Have done 5 more than a few times.

Interestingly, if I put it on charge and wait overnight, the issue is gone in the morning.

Sadly, the touch issue comes back withing hours to days. I have been through a few replacement devices and am able to demonstrate to the rep at the Apple Store.

Reactions: kazmac

g75d3

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
For me the issue has been going on since one month after I bought iPad Pro 12.9 2017, it gets better sometimes randomly but inevitably the issue returns. I use that iPad for watching movies only but still it is frustrating when you can’t adjust volume etc.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Still ongoing for me as well. Attempted to get it fixed one time at an Apple Store while in warranty. Was able to duplicate and everything and they still wouldn’t swap.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I have the issue almost from the beginning, but was so rare that I ignored it for a long time.
Right now, its a hit or miss. On some os versions my ipad pro 12.9 behaves well on others its so annoying that I was literally close to throw it out of the window.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yep, still going on here. Just made arrangements to sell the cellular iPad Pro before it gets too wonky. I’ll skip the Pros going forward until Apple addresses the touch issue (Really hope the regular iPad does not get the iPP chassis. There has been no change with heat and the subsequent touch and pencil irresponsiveness.)

This iPad 7th gen can become unusable, so along with touch problems, the respring - reboot issue has been happening a lot. Again, it has become very hot...so I am not surprised. Even a DFU hasn’t worked.

The pencil is the reason I keep trying...I love the freaking pencil, but the constant issues with heat and touch are a massive downer.

I will buy a Wacom tablet after my main system is replaced though.

Reactions: DragonX

Allwrong

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
Ohio
I believe turning off gestures fixed it for me which defeats the purpose of a lot of useful abilities. Doubt Apple will ever admit or fix any underlying hardware issues.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Can anyone advise if they have yet had Touch Issues with their 2020 iPad Pro Version?

I'm lost at the times I have had to triple touch my iPad Screen for it to register, hoping the 2020 version will be ok

.....or maybe wait for the event and see if another new version is being released...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Can anyone advise if they have yet had Touch Issues with their 2020 iPad Pro Version?

I'm lost at the times I have had to triple touch my iPad Screen for it to register, hoping the 2020 version will be ok

.....or maybe wait for the event and see if another new version is being released...
I did, yes. This time I believe it was due to updating the OS and the usual heat. Sold it.

I went back to my iPad 7th gen, which still acts up from time to time.

There's no guarantee this won't continue until Apple addresses it. After three years though, I will be surprised if they actually do. Until then, I will stick with the cheapest iPad. Trade in older models and buy new. Thought about Wacom tablets, but I prefer drawing directly onscreen and Procreate is easy to use.

Reactions: leebroath

Allwrong

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
Ohio
Procreate is amazing. I have the 2nd gen 12.9 and its been stable since turning off gestures. I can't say anything about newer models but I will stick with what I got.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

I have the 2018 iPP 12.9" and had the 2017 iPP 12.9". I had the touch problems with the 2017, sold it, and got the 2018. Never have had any problems in my years with the 2018 and I would assume the 2020 would be the same. I haven't heard of users really having problems with the 2018/2020 iPP's if that's any consolation for you.

And who knows what a new generation iPP will be like with their screens...

Baron Thompson

macrumors member
May 8, 2020

2020 iPad Pro has had no issues for me.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
I get this rather often on my 2017, but have never experienced it on my 2020. I was going to hand down the iPad to my sister, but thinking of just trading it at Apple for a gift card rather than give her a device with such an annoying issue...

dannydav709

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
have any of you experienced if iOS 14 fixed this issue? I have begun to experience the problem you guys are describing and Im wondering if iOS 14 fixed the issue, but I don’t want To update for no reason since I am jail broken and would like to keep my jailbreak for now. Am using a 2017 12.9 inch. Thanks.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
have any of you experienced if iOS 14 fixed this issue? I have begun to experience the problem you guys are describing and Im wondering if iOS 14 fixed the issue, but I don’t want To update for no reason since I am jail broken and would like to keep my jailbreak for now. Am using a 2017 12.9 inch. Thanks.

No it did not. I'm convinced that its a hardware issue. My replacement 2017 12.9" iPP (exchanged last October via AC+) still occasionally exhibits the behavior. My original 12.9" iPP started off occasionally having issues and got progressively worse a lot quicker than this one is doing it but yeah . . now with 2 of the gen 2's having the issue for me spanning multiple iOS updates over the past 2.5 years I'm convinced this is not software related. Screen is pristine still, no noticeable light bleeding etc.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Definitely hardware. The version of iOS/iPadOS makes no difference and neither does what app is loaded.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Definitely hardware. The version of iOS/iPadOS makes no difference and neither does what app is loaded.

is it fair to say whether or not the display has backlight spotlighting doesn't seem related either? but the touch sensor in the screen itself or something else?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
is it fair to say whether or not the display has backlight spotlighting doesn't seem related either? but the touch sensor in the screen itself or something else?

It could be related, but in my case I had the touch issues long before any noticeable light bleeding. Before I smashed my 12.9, it was unresponsive and had major light bleeding along the smart connector side. Started as one small spot and then progressed over a period of a few months.

Reactions: thadoggfather

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

Neither of my 12.9 Pros that had the unresponsive screen had the white spot issue, so at least in my case they weren’t related.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It could be related, but in my case I had the touch issues long before any noticeable light bleeding. Before I smashed my 12.9, it was unresponsive and had major light bleeding along the smart connector side. Started as one small spot and then progressed over a period of a few months.

even if they did offer an exchange program for spotlighting not sure I’d want to bother since I really don’t have touch issues thankfully

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.