Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Yes definitely sounds more robotic, like some old version of Siri from a few iOS versions ago. Anyone that can pinpoint it further?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Yeah, that definitely sounds different. Weird.

I just checked my phone, setting it to a few different destinations, and nothing sounded off on my end.

Moz, you're on the iOS 14 beta?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yeah, that definitely sounds different. Weird.

I just checked my phone, setting it to a few different destinations, and nothing sounded off on my end.

Moz, you're on the iOS 14 beta?

No...that’s why I posted here.

Went to pick up dinner an hour ago and it kept the robotic voice for the first few set of directions. And then on the way home, back to the first and last direction.

• Wow
Reactions: G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
How weird....

The only *similar* thing that's ever occured to me happened while using Google Maps on Apple CarPlay. Once in a while, if my phone had a weak signal, Google Maps would be unable to keep track of the names of streets. If approaching a turn, Google Maps' sound quality would take a huge dip, and a muffled, robotic voice would say, "Turn right" at the scheduled turn, instead of the usual "Turn right onto Northern Boulevard" (with the name of the street included).

Reactions: MozMan68

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Likely...and I find it interesting that it was pretty much limited to the first and last directions which are typically personalized responses. Maybe they added some other options instead of just “arrived at home.”

On Google Maps on Android Auto, when you arrive at your destination, a window pops up (on the car screen) displaying statistics about your drive. It's pretty interesting. Shows you whether or not you beat your original estimated travel time, your average speed, and even shows an image ripped from Google StreetView of what your destination should look like. Google Maps on iOS of course doesn't do this. It just says "You've arrived!" and kicks you out of navigation mode.

It'd be neat if Apple Maps did something similar someday for CarPlay, but I kind of feel they won't, considering Apple's mantra of clean simplicity.

Reactions: MozMan68

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I know most of us in here are “car people”... wasn’t sure where else to put it though. I had to take the bus today between two places I don’t go often. Noticed this cool addition to the transit directions - it’s not just “live” departure times anymore, they’ve added live locations on the map so you can visualise how far away the bus is.

Is this another China-only feature or do you guys also have it?
083B4FB2-0062-4052-A1FA-9FB4D0E8E394.jpeg

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I know most of us in here are “car people”... wasn’t sure where else to put it though. I had to take the bus today between two places I don’t go often. Noticed this cool addition to the transit directions - it’s not just “live” departure times anymore, they’ve added live locations on the map so you can visualise how far away the bus is.

View attachment 931344

Yes, we can see approximate bus locations here in the U.S., also.

CB531044-6B4B-427A-A704-10636C8E92D0.png

Reactions: nicho

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019

View attachment 931344
No, it’s available in some places outside China as well. For example, here in Sweden it is supported by two transit agencies, ÖstgötaTrafiken and Skånetrafiken. I was going to direct you to the Real-Time Transit section of the iOS and iPadOS Feature Availability page for a complete list of locations with this neat feature, but then I realised that some of these areas don’t support the real-time location feature you discussed (only timetables that update in real-time to show if the train/bus/subway/tram/ferry is on-time or delayed).

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
https://www.socoolsogood.com/google-maps-starts-showing-the-location-of-traffic-lights-on-android/

Google Maps has begun testing showing traffic lights and stop signs on their maps. Unlike Apple Maps, they will apparently always show on the map, whether navigating to a destination or not. This appears to be in early beta testing, and is only showing up for a select few users.
[automerge]1594230569[/automerge]
Speaking of Google Maps, another iOS app update was released the other day. It *appeared* to consistently fix the problem where the “reporting” button would randomly vanish. I was able to go the entire day with the button visible.

But when I finally went down to my car to use it through Apple CarPlay, the button had vanished again. Not sure if maybe it’s just not usable on CarPlay, or if the same glitch had returned. (In the picture, it looks like there’s room for the fourth button on CarPlay.)

The next day, the button was gone again. Today it came back. Maybe I’ll try in the car one more time later.

But the more I use Google Maps, especially on CarPlay, the more I’m reminded of just how little they care about their iOS app. And a lot of their directions are just plain weird. It’s remarkable how much better Apple Maps is now.

E3314231-A9A7-4A9C-93D9-DC0510DA3FD1.jpeg

CE6379D1-C3A4-457B-B6BF-89A38A40880B.png

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I’m still on regular iOS 13.6, but I’ve noticed a minor change. Previously, my favorites would all show me in minutes how long it would take to get to each of my favorite locations.

But now, it only shows me how many minutes to get home. For all other favorite locations, it now shows how many miles to each location.

7AAB8DBC-781F-4967-8E59-CA900E26D241.png

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the reason for this is because it’s much faster for Apple Maps to merely calculate and display the distance to these favorite locations. To display the estimated travel time instead, they probably had to quickly load routes to all of these destinations, which likely wasted time, slowed down the app, and was probably wasting data as well.

I have no complaints with this change. But I still wish Apple Maps would display the distance when selecting routes to a destination. I can’t imagine why they don’t show that information in CarPlay.

Here are two random screenshots from my travels today. The new maps are so enjoyable to use around New York City. Even though Apple Maps still has navigation issues when it comes to “smaller highways” which for some reason aren’t even displayed as limited-access highways.

D9FB59A9-5A14-4857-8277-09DA4C74F106.png

D502ED03-9AFA-4145-AE52-0EAE074720DF.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Any news the new cartography update in europe?

Probably better to ask in this thread

The iOS14 Apple Maps Thread

Bokka

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2018
Probably better to ask in this thread

The iOS14 Apple Maps Thread

Thanks a lot, sorry but I hadn't seen it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.