Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
From Reddit: Siri will say something like, “20 mph speed camera ahead...please drive carefully.”

a12603a201b11346f0966f2489b4bb81.jpg

EDIT: Whoops...meant to post this in the iOS14 thread...copying and moving over.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
From Reddit: Siri will say something like, “20 mph speed camera ahead...please drive carefully.”

a12603a201b11346f0966f2489b4bb81.jpg

That speed limit sign is presumably localised? Currently I don't see a camera icon beside the speed limit here in China - just the speed itself. It isn't currently shown elsewhere (ie top left corner). I'm looking forward to that being added.

Unless they're going to shake things up when it's released worldwide... the "Please drive carefully" is added if you're going faster than the speed limit of the camera.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That speed limit sign is presumably localised? Currently I don't see a camera icon beside the speed limit here in China - just the speed itself.

Unless they're going to shake things up when it's released worldwide... the "Please drive carefully" is added if you're going faster than the speed limit.

EDIT: FYI...The image posted is from iOS14 beta...was responding via TapaTalk and didn't realize I was posting in the iOS13 thread

That's why I included this image.

China is a totally separate thing when it comes to Maps as Apple is really just providing an overlay with their UI along with data from a third party in order to allow Maps to work in China...it's not 100% Apple controlled (not a surprise in China).

The same is true in Japan where government regulations also require that mapping programs require certain info such as traffic light symbols which is why they have them now even though Japan's maps have not been updated with Apple's info. That data is provided by someone else.

Not sure about differences in other countries...but typically when you see a "feature" on Apple Maps that isn't available in the USA, it is because that country legally requires it for some reason.

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Wait, are we supposed to be moving into a new Apple Maps thread? This one will be dead soon? I don’t want to miss anything.

Apple Maps’ directions really irk me sometimes. Like here, where the way Apple gathers information for what to display causes information to be repeated twice.

A03F01CB-1707-4356-B03C-D846E00F5F7B.png

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I transferred what was important from the first page so we can focus on new info related to iOS 14.

Different threads make sense, especially over the next three months as most of the iOS 14 talk will be around the beta info.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I transferred what was important from the first page so we can focus on new info related to iOS 14.

Different threads make sense, especially over the next three months as most of the iOS 14 talk will be around the beta info.

I guess I can kinda see that. I'd personally prefer to keep all Apple Maps talk in one place. There's not too much going on with iOS 13 right now, and the changes for iOS 14 don't really amount to *too* much thus far. But I can see there'd be a lot of beta-specific talk going on. I'm subscribed to both threads, so I guess I'll get an e-mail whenever there's new activity in one of them.

Reactions: Dunk the Lunk

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
I'd personally prefer to keep all Apple Maps talk in one place. There's not too much going on with iOS 13 right now, and the changes for iOS 14 don't really amount to *too* much thus far.

Yeah, I think all the maps stuff should be in one place too, especially given Apple maps is not just available on iOS, but also MacOS and hopefully in future the web. Whilst new features are nice some of them are unrelated to OS, and the most important updates to Apple Maps at the moment are the data ones (eg Apple sourced data, look around) which are definitely unrelated to OS.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So I’m going to explain the reasoning for this once and then we can move on and keep talking about Maps.

The reason the thread was moved and continued from iOS 12 to iOS 13 was because the first pre-release and official launch of the major Maps overhaul happened over those 2 releases starting with the USA.

But that was completed earlier this year and iOS 14 is more about Maps outside of the USA despite the fact that changes/enhancements will continue to happen across the USA...but probably limited to Look Around and minor changes.

There is just something about a thread that is also too long, particularly when folks want to see the progression of the initial launch of the new Maps. This thread was an incredible ride and exciting to watch as new areas and features were added. Hoping that continues in the iOS 14 thread as the same happens outside the US.

There may be some repetition of questions, observations, etc., but that’s a good thing. It means new people are looking at the thread and will bring new thoughts/observations to what is going on in their specific area/country, and I look forward to reading and commenting on those changes and maybe even educating new users to the updated Maps.

I hope everyone who has commented on this thread will continue to do so while it is still relevant and also join us over in the iOS 14 thread to learn and talk about the new features as well as help those new to Maps (whether it be in the USA or other countries) by providing valuable feedback and information.

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
So I’m going to explain the reasoning for this once and then we can move on and keep talking about Maps.

The reason the thread was moved and continued from iOS 12 to iOS 13 was because the first pre-release and official launch of the major Maps overhaul happened over those 2 releases starting with the USA.

But that was completed earlier this year and iOS 14 is more about Maps outside of the USA despite the fact that changes/enhancements will continue to happen across the USA...but probably limited to Look Around and minor changes.

There is just something about a thread that is also too long, particularly when folks want to see the progression of the initial launch of the new Maps. This thread was an incredible ride and exciting to watch as new areas and features were added. Hoping that continues in the iOS 14 thread as the same happens outside the US.

There may be some repetition of questions, observations, etc., but that’s a good thing. It means new people are looking at the thread and will bring new thoughts/observations to what is going on in their specific area/country, and I look forward to reading and commenting on those changes and maybe even educating new users to the updated Maps.

I hope everyone who has commented on this thread will continue to do so while it is still relevant and also join us over in the iOS 14 thread to learn and talk about the new features as well as help those new to Maps (whether it be in the USA or other countries) by providing valuable feedback and information.
Can you give me the link to the new thread?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Since I am currently running iOS 14, I originally posted on the iOS 14 Maps thread, but it was suggested I also throw it on this one as well. Look Around has been released for Seattle. It's a pretty decently sized coverage area!
22306EC2-4E2B-4200-B1B1-A1538948B5A6.jpeg

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
This will be my last comment on this thread. It was a good time here, even though it was only for like a week or two. See you at the new thread!

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just noticed this over the last couple of days, Siri’s voice is different, a lot different, for the start of directions and at the very end. The voice (I use the standard female voice) is “deeper”....it’s really weird.

Like when she says, “Getting directions to Kroger” when directions starts...then normal voice for all directions during...and then “you have arrived at your destination” is in the deep voice again.

Anyone else??

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just noticed this over the last couple of days, Siri’s voice is different, a lot different, for the start of directions and at the very end. The voice (I use the standard female voice) is “deeper”....it’s really weird.

Like when she says, “Getting directions to Kroger” when directions starts...then normal voice for all directions during...and then “you have arrived at your destination” is in the deep voice again.

Anyone else??

I’ll turn on the voice and see if this is happening for me too

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I'm on normal iOS 13.5.1, and didn't notice any difference today. At least, I don't think I did.

But I think the Siri algorithms for pronouncing things is continually being changed. Sometimes Siri will pronounce a certain word differently on the same trip, depending on where in the sentence that word is.

For instance, she pronounces "Whitestone" a bit differently, depending on whether we're getting onto the Whitestone Bridge, or the Whitestone Expressway. But even that's not always consistent.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I’ll turn on the voice and see if this is happening for me too
I'm on normal iOS 13.5.1, and didn't notice any difference today. At least, I don't think I did.

But I think the Siri algorithms for pronouncing things is continually being changed. Sometimes Siri will pronounce a certain word differently on the same trip, depending on where in the sentence that word is.

For instance, she pronounces "Whitestone" a bit differently, depending on whether we're getting onto the Whitestone Bridge, or the Whitestone Expressway. But even that's not always consistent.

Yeah...this isn't really that subtle...it's like a completely different voice from a "handsome" woman... ;)

A screen video will record the voice as well, right? Maybe I'll try that.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Yeah...this isn't really that subtle...it's like a completely different voice from a "handsome" woman... ;)

A screen video will record the voice as well, right? Maybe I'll try that.

Remember earlier on when iOS 13 first came out, one of the new things was the more "natural" directions, as well as references to traffic lights, etc.?

For a period of time, I remember Siri was an awkward mix of original directions in her old voice, and newer directions in the more natural speaking voice. Eventually, there was an update, and the old voice was removed completely.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Remember earlier on when iOS 13 first came out, one of the new things was the more "natural" directions, as well as references to traffic lights, etc.?

For a period of time, I remember Siri was an awkward mix of original directions in her old voice, and newer directions in the more natural speaking voice. Eventually, there was an update, and the old voice was removed completely.

That's what it sounds like...robotic Siri for the initial direction and then at the very end when it says, "arrived." They're working on something...video below.

editing video...will post in a second...

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
That's what it sounds like...robotic Siri for the initial direction and then at the very end when it says, "arrived." They're working on something...video below.

editing video...will post in a second...

Still waiting for that video!

Reactions: G1Ravage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.